Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: External NTE - Internal wiring  (Read 7930 times)

dseward

• Just arrived
External NTE - Internal wiring
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »

Hi

Unfortunately I have an external NTE and I am struggling with broadband speeds / noise.   
BT have tested the line and there are no faults.

I have read up various posts and decided the best course of action is probably to install a new internal NTE and filter plate.

The problem is I am not sure how the internal extensions are wired as they are all behind the plaster board and therefore which extension is the first socket in the house - we have 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs.   

1 in the hallway and 2 upstairs seemed to be daisy chained (2 wires in / 2 wires out)
1 in the lounge just has the 1 wire going in / 1 wire going out. 

So question is - can I disconnect the internal wiring from the external NTE - run a new cable from the external NTE to a new internal NTE/filter in the lounge.   Then connect the existing wiring currently going to the existing lounge extension.

Also what do I do with the original wiring I have disconnected from the external NTE - does that need to go somewhere to form a loop?

Also I have read about removing components from the new internal NTE socket - how do I do that?

Thanks for your advice.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: External NTE - Internal wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

Hi DSEWard,

The good thing is that you are free to do whatever you wish from your side of the external box.

Your plan to disconnect the wiring at the external point and install a new socket of some description on the inside is a good start.
You can buy an internal NTE5. As the required master socket components are installed externally you can just cut all the components on the internal NTE5 and then replace the bottom half of the NTE5 with an integral filter faceplate such as the one manufactured by ADSL Nation, shown here:-

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

Other ways can achieve similar results. E.g. this device will do all you require without any other modifications:-

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

Regarding the other extension sockets they all require one twisted pair connected to pins 2 and 5. The pair in either of the new faceplates will provide the correct signal to feed to any others you need. However I wouldn't connect up more sockets that you actually wish to use.

Any single wire cannot work so should be removed as should any ring-wires sometimes found on pin 3 in any of the sockets. All extension sockets should be slave ones without any components fitted.

I hope that helps but please ask again if you are not sure.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:21:36 PM by waltergmw »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »

Hi

Unfortunately I have an external NTE and I am struggling with broadband speeds / noise.   
BT have tested the line and there are no faults.

I have read up various posts and decided the best course of action is probably to install a new internal NTE and filter plate.

The problem is I am not sure how the internal extensions are wired as they are all behind the plaster board and therefore which extension is the first socket in the house - we have 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs.   

1 in the hallway and 2 upstairs seemed to be daisy chained (2 wires in / 2 wires out)
1 in the lounge just has the 1 wire going in / 1 wire going out. 

So question is - can I disconnect the internal wiring from the external NTE - run a new cable from the external NTE to a new internal NTE/filter in the lounge.   Then connect the existing wiring currently going to the existing lounge extension.

Also what do I do with the original wiring I have disconnected from the external NTE - does that need to go somewhere to form a loop?

Also I have read about removing components from the new internal NTE socket - how do I do that?

Thanks for your advice.

Hope my reply is not to late ??

Openreach have turned tact on the 'External NTE' device, after much feedback about various broadband issues, such as 'Slow speeds' through to 'No synch'. The problem is caused by the builders electricians (in most cases) star wiring the circuit to hell and back. We had instances locally where we can achieve 7 Meg synch rates at the outside box, and then struggle to attain 0.5 Meg on an internal socket.

I can only speak from my experience, but we have been told we can now bypass the external capacitor, and crimp the circuit through so it goes direct into the premises. The issue then, is to locate the 'first socket' and make this the 'master socket' by fitting an NTE5. If I were in your shoes, I would request a 'Broadband Engineering Visit' for slow speed issues, and take it from there.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »

Hi again BS,

Does that mean that a 2011 / 2012 installation with a badged internal BT NTE, possibly including one with a SSFP, will definitely have been connected directly to the BT cable from the DP ?
Or would it be wise to check the connections in both the internal and external NTEs ?

I'm interested to know from two viewpoints viz.

1. The demarcation point where an end user is allowed to adjust internal wiring without being threatened with a bill.

2. The practical implications of potentially having two sets of terminating components in parallel.

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »

Hi again BS,

Does that mean that a 2011 / 2012 installation with a badged internal BT NTE, possibly including one with a SSFP, will definitely have been connected directly to the BT cable from the DP ?
Or would it be wise to check the connections in both the internal and external NTEs ?

I'm interested to know from two viewpoints viz.

1. The demarcation point where an end user is allowed to adjust internal wiring without being threatened with a bill.

2. The practical implications of potentially having two sets of terminating components in parallel.

Kind regards,
Walter

From how I understand it, the new demarcation point (on either new, or existing external NTE's) should be made as the nearest internal socket. Thus, having to convert this from an extention socket to an NTE5. The external NTE would in effect then just be akin to a BT66, which is (as we know) a testing point to verify whether a fault lies inside a premises, or outside. The underground wires will just be crimped through to the internal wiring the electricians have installed, ergo bypassing the componentry inherrent in external NTE's.

If I remember, i'll try and find some further clarification on this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »

Very interesting news regarding the XNTEs. Would I be right in assuming that for all new builds such devices will now not be installed?

(b*cat makes a mental note to look out for a revised copy of the "Builder's Guide".)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »

Very interesting news regarding the XNTEs. Would I be right in assuming that for all new builds such devices will now not be installed?

(b*cat makes a mental note to look out for a revised copy of the "Builder's Guide".)

Again, not sure on this B*Cat, as this falls under 'New Sites' juradstiction which is a completely different section. As I say, I'm trying to find some clarity to the situation (as in official docs) but take it as read, to give the EU a better DSL service, I have been informed I can 'bypass' the External NTE's componentry, and make the demarcation point one of the sockets within the premises.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »

Many thanks for that update, B*Sheep. I'm assuming you would crimp the internal cable tails to the service feed underneath the LH side red cover, which also makes the yellow isolation plug redundant.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »

Many thanks for that update, B*Sheep. I'm assuming you would crimp the internal cable tails to the service feed underneath the LH side red cover, which also makes the yellow isolation plug redundant.

That is correct Mr Cat ............. the yellow plug doubles as our 'test point' for testing towards the Exvhange, or towards the EU's sockets. So, yes, this too would become redundant.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

b*cat nods, appreciatively.  :)