Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SSFP/extension wiring  (Read 3491 times)

mike phillips

SSFP/extension wiring
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »

I was under the impression that with an SSFP (unmarked, ebay!), my adsl was 'direct' into the master socket and telep extension wiring would not affect.

My ISP told me I need to plug into the master socket to remove extension problems to look at high 'interleaved FEC' errors. Rather disbelievingly I did, and my 'down' went from 3.9 to 4.9Mb and the FEC errors appear less.

1) Have I got a duff SSFP? or
2) Do I not understand the SSFP and can duff telep wiring still affect the ADSL side with a SSFP?

EDIT: I have just replaced the SSP and plugged only the ADSL router in. Back to 3.8Mb and twice as many interleaved FEC errors in 10 mins as before in 30.

Any clues?

Something else (lots!) I do not understand - my router shows 'linktype fast path'. I have no 'Fast Path FEC errors', only 'Interleaved FEC' and the odd 'Interleaved Path CRC Error'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:37:22 PM by mike phillips »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: SSFP/extension wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

Without knowing anything about the faceplate you bought it's difficult to answer. If it's a normal ADSL filtered faceplate, then it should isolate the extension wiring, but no filter is perfect and the extension wiring could still be having an effect. Either that or it's a defective product. The fact that you get a higher speed with fewer errors when connecting to the test socket suggests that a better quality faceplate might be in order.

Concerning your last added comment, you don't get FEC errors with Fastpath - they are a function of the forward error correction which accompanies interleaving. Perhaps you're seeing some upstream FECs, when only the downstream is on Fastpath?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:46:07 PM by roseway »
  Eric

mike phillips

Re: SSFP/extension wiring
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »

It is all getting a bit beyond me - my ISP is being quite helpful and we ran a test overnight direct to test socket, no phones, which showed loads of errors this am. To confuse me even more the link type now shows 'interleaved'...............................I expect to hear from them around midday to explore the 'next step'.

I think it is pointing at the mod/router OR phone line, so I will be looking to swap out the router first as the cheaper option!!