Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another Opera query  (Read 3208 times)

scottiesmum

Another Opera query
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »

On Play.com site ...  in search box I put the item I'm  looking for ..  click OK or press return  ... I get a pop up box  saying   Java Script  (.www.play.com)  . undefined.
Stop executing scripts on this page.     In Firefox it doesn't happen.   Do I need to do something in Opera ?   Many thanks for any help  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Another Opera query
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

Try this.

When you get to Play.com, right click on a blank part of the page. From the menu that opens go edit site preferences>network>browser identification.........change that to "masquerade as Firefox" ........click OK then refresh the page.

Does that help?

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »

I can search that site without any problems , I get no Java messages.

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:10:03 AM »

Thank you TD and AH  :)      I've done what you said TD but I get the same javascript pop up  :'(      If I click on any of the items on the main page I can get to those items no problem  !! ?   

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »

Same here........can search without problem.

Ok, the first option does not work, so try this.....again right click on an empty part of the page, and from the menu go edit site preferences>scripting ........take the tick mark out of the box "enable javascript" click on, refresh the page.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

It works OK for me as well Kate. I bet you'd look good in that frock. Or is that you modelling it?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

I've tried that too TD  ....  now  don't get a pop up but the page doesn't move ..... :(   DO I need to revert things back to where they were  ?

I have no problems searching on Amazon, so I can buy from there  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »

I've used Firefox to place the order with Play.com   Suddenly,  Firefox will not play the BBC radio   :'(   but Opera will   ???   I think it's a conspiracy by IE   ;D 

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

It's nothing to do with vino consumption has it?

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »

;D   not at all Colin.  But it might drive me to drink  :D     It has been driving me potty this morning, and nearly ending in putting a very large paper weight through the whole chebang  :-X  All sorts of things were happening, or not happening !  SO, I did a system restore.  I have un-installed and reinstalled both Firefox and Opera, I have ridded the system  of several add ons/extensions and I've put Chrome back on (just in case) although the lack of tool bar drives me potty in that too  ::)    The radio thing really has me foxed  (pun intended)  I've used it for ever in any browser, I'm wondering if the recent Firefox update has had an effect  :'(  If I revert to an older FF do I need to take seriously that large frightening warning that my version is out of date ?   

I am listening to the radio in Opera at the moment, but it wouldn't play immediately, I had to un-install the BBC radio extension, reinstall and then I got rid of Ghostery (it seemed to coincide with the start of all these hiccups)  it worked immediately after that   :shrug2:

I'm thinking of going back to pen, paper and the abacus !

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »

It is quite possible that Ghostery is blocking something that is listed as a bug in in it. There are preferences that one can use with ghostery. There is with mine. You say that you uninstalled both Firefox and Opera, but you don't say if you uninstalled the supplemental files that both those programs save your preferences in. It could also be that you need to clean your cookies out. All these are where things can hide and upset your browser. Usually with Firefox they do issue an update to combat some loopholes they have found and fixed, however, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. No harm will come. You will just keep getting the reminder.

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »

Thanks Colin.   I kept my 'profile' files on both FF and Opera.  I've had a complete clean out of history, cookies, temp.Internet files, you  name it, I've cleared it  ;D  Since my 'revamp' everything is running smoothly .... still no radio in FF but I've given up on that, I think there have been issues before with the BBC player and FF - and I suppose with all the upgrades of FF the BBC can't keep up  :D   I'll listen on Opera .... and risk it crashing when it shuts down automatically.  Opera crashed earlier today, haven't a clue why, perhaps it was as fed up as I was  .. I sent the report (never sent a report before, but I was so fed up with it) anyway the diagnostic report said nothing to report   :-X :'( very enlightening !   anyway, sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh   ....  it's  all running smoothly now and fast !    If I have the inclination later,  I might just revert back to FF 9, and try the radio again.

Thanks for your interest and advice Colin  :)

anything