Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre solution for 50 % of the UK ???  (Read 2302 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Fibre solution for 50 % of the UK ???
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »

Gentlefolk,

This note follows on from my comment's upon Bald_Eagle1's saga here:-.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9726.msg210348.html#msg210348

Given that Virgin Media say they have 50 % coverage of the UK with their superior Fibre To The Cabinet and coaxial cable solution, it seems common sense that this existing architecture must be re-utilised to provide genuine Point-To-Point FTTP.
The picture below is of my 25 mm flexible hose where I have easily inserted an empty 8 mm miniflex DVC™ Microduct blown fibre tube into it.
At the edge of my property a 50 mm hose including the next door neighbour's 25 mm hose joins the 100 mm main hose running along the street.
Almost every level 1 and 2 cabinet has ample space and large vacant duct space.

In practice there will undoubtedly be some obstacles as not every house in a Virgin area is so equipped nor will exactly 50 % of the UK be fully installed with this hose arrangement.
Nevertheless if ALL politicians, public servants including Ofcom BDUK etc. (and BT) could get their act together with Virgin Media this solution just has to be the only serious solution to a very significant proportion of the Nation's disastrous broadband capabilities.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/80541563

This picture shows the external termination box with the combined coaxial and telephone cable arriving from the green hose and the filter providing broadband and cable TV services into my house.
Please excuse the cobwebs that I have not cleaned out today !

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:25:05 PM by waltergmw »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Fibre solution for 50 % of the UK ???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »

Given that Virgin Media say they have 50 % coverage of the UK with their superior Fibre To The Cabinet and coaxial cable solution

Is there a map that backs up their claim?

In Sheffield for instance their coverage is a lot less than 50%.I know this doesn't represent the whole country but......

The house I use to live was cable enabled around 1994(then it was a company called Yorkshire Cable).I live 3 miles from my old address and 18 years later still no sign of VM cable on my estate  :no:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »

@ Uncy,

I doubt that any real data would be provided by VM just as BT don't publish similar data being commercially sensitive.
In my own area I did have a dialogue with the relevant VM department who told me there are some 600 premises without VM service. (Probably from a total of say 3,000.)

Just as ridiculous is the statistical data that Ofcom is quite happy to use that e.g. BT have enabled x% of fibre passing premises.
If I am a desperate subscriber, a service passing my front door does not achieve my reasonable expectations.

In Ewhurst we have exactly that problem. I specified that each FTTC should have a capacity of 500 services, but not populated to that level immediately. (Even that is a little less that the total count of services within the PCP.)

Now that BT are nearly providing one cabinet's worth of FTTC (from a total of 4) it has only got a capacity for 100 services and NO expansion capability without a new cabinet installation. (There is a single set of 100 pr cables installed in a now sealed duct.)

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »

Thanks Walter  :)

I do think the figures branded about by VM and BT are just a marketing ploy and a case of 'one-upmanship' between the two.

You only have visit various forums etc to see who can actually get fibre connections and who can't,no where near the claims made by VM and BT