Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firguring out the master socket wiring in my flat?  (Read 8074 times)

probedb

• Just arrived
Firguring out the master socket wiring in my flat?
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »

Hi all,

I came across this site when looking for wiring in a BT ADSL filtered faceplate :)

I'm now trying to sort the wiring out. I assumed that only the main BT line into my flat would be wired into the master socket, with any extensions being wired from the faceplate? Basically so the test socket actually works properly and isn't connected to any other wiring. Is that correct?

Well if so it appears they've been decidedly dodgy with the wiring and it's as follows:

Into the back of the master socket are two standard 3 pair wires, both the blue/white and white/blue pairs from both are wired into the back of the socket. The orange/white wire from each cable are connected to the faceplate. There are 3 extensions in the flat.

Does this sound wrong? I guess my next job is to see what wires are going into each extension socket?

Assuming I'm correct and only one set of blue/white and white/blue wires is supposed to go into the back of the master socket then what would be my best way forwards? Disconnect one set and see if the test socket still works?

Many thanks in advance :)

Paul.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Firguring out the master socket wiring in my flat?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

Hi Paul and welcome

If that socket really is the master, then the wiring definitely sounds completely wrong. There should only be a single cable with two wires (not three) coming in and connected to the back of the socket.

Is it a fairly recent installation (the last couple of years, say) ? If so, the real master may be an external NTE - see the bottom of this page. If so, BT's responsibility ends at the external NTE, and the wiring inside the flat is your responsibility.  If not, the wiring up to the master socket needs to be regularised, and only BT are allowed to do that.

I suggest that you trace the cables connected to the back of the socket to see where they go, before more complete advice can be given.
  Eric

probedb

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »

Thanks for the reply. The flat is rented but I think built maybe 4-5 years ago. It has a 2007 faceplate according to your diagrams. It's a block of 69 flats btw.

Well it's definitely an NTE5 A Master socket on the wall. I've put a link below to show what the wiring is. The green wires pair aren't connected to anything.

Short of disconnecting a set of wires and trying I can't find out where the wiring goes. I.e. disconnecting one blue pair should disconnect all the extensions from what I can see.

I guess I'll have to leave it as I'm not paying a BT engineer to come and disconnect a couple of wires.

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »

Hi Paul,

As Eric says that is most certainly non-standard wiring. The grey cable with writing is not a normal BT supply which indicates that a non-BT person has done this wiring in any case.
It's difficult to say exactly what the official position is re the wiring in this configuration.

Assuming that the orange wires are not connected to pins 2 and 5, and that you are allowed to adjust those wires on the front plate, there's a good case for removing them IF they are only the ring wires.
The correct configuration is as you describe with the incoming pair only connected to the two screw terminals at the back and any extensions should be connected to the front plate.

As you say there are three extensions it probably means that some are "daisy-chained" in series, unless you have more than one phone line ? You can determine whether this is so on BT wholesale supplied lines by dialling 17070 and listening for the lady to tell you "This circuits is defined as 01 xx xxx xxx".

You might also find, as it is a block of flates, that BT's cables are terminated elsewhere. If this were a standard BT house installation you would expect to see single colour wires in a drop wire cable, only connected to the back. The fact you have blue / white striped wires might suggest there is another BT Distribution Point which could be a 10, 20 or possibly even a 50 pair cable.

Kind regards,
Walter

probedb

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »

Thanks Walter. I'll see if I can track down some more information from the people who maintain the building.

I've pulled the covers off two extensions and definitely looks like they've been daisy chained off the main socket and then from one extension to the next.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »

I've pulled the covers off two extensions and definitely looks like they've been daisy chained off the main socket and then from one extension to the next.

Your next step is to look at the outer sheath of the cables at the extensions. Do they all have writing on them? If so, I think we can confidently say that at the NTE5/A, the white cable without any writing on its external sheath is the BT service cable.

Obviously, we cannot advise you to "fiddle" but if that were my flat, I would disconnect everything at the NTE5/A and just reconnect the blue pair from the proposed service cable back to the screw terminals of the NTE5/A. Plug a phone into the test socket and - er - test. Assuming success, I would then carefully coil the orange and green pairs from the service cable and tuck them into the back of the box. The extension feed cable I would thread through the gap at the bottom and the BT part of the NTE5/A woud be refitted. At each of the extension sockets, I would check that each wire of the blue pair is connected identically at each socket. (The correct specification is blue/white to IDC2 and white/blue to IDC5.) The orange/white should be disconnected and coiled away neatly with the other wires. Refit each extension socket to its backing box. Now back at the NTE5/A, connect the extension feed cable to the lower removable front plate. Just the blue pair, ensuring that they are connected identically to the extension sockets. Job done.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:50:34 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »

@ BKK,

Homer has nodded twice !

... writing on it's external sheath ....

expanded reads as:- writing on it is external sheath

No apostrophe required !

Young Ezzer also said never coil unused twisted pairs - always leave them just as a bundled mess.

What a bad pussy !

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »

Bah! I see no apostrophe . . . Walter must have been dreaming.  :blush:

Hmm. Yes I have to agree, in principle, with Ezzer. I should have typed "coil the orange and green pairs from the service cable and then flatten the coil into a sausage shape before tucking them into the back of the box."

probedb

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »

:D Thanks guys :) I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

probedb

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »

Hmmm, well sorted the wiring out and you folks were right about which cable was which :)

Plugged the ADSL in with the new faceplate and the extensions connected (blue/white and white/blue from the other wire) and I got slightly more speed out of the line.

Now disconnected the extensions and it's connected at half the speed as with them connected?!? Surely that's the wrong way round? Tho it seems to vary. Will Sky automatically try resyning the speed over the next week or so or do I need to request it from them?

Thanks again folks :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:18:03 PM by probedb »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

Hi paul,

You would not normally expect disconnected extensions to make the situation worse.
The trick is to reduce the modems "aerials" as much as possible.

Auto-resync usually only happens after power failures etc.
Have you looked or listened for cable arcing on mains wiring - perhaps by tapping plugs when on load.
Don't power-reset the modem too often as that frequently makes the exchange equipment decide to reduce the available sync speed.
When you do so, try to make sure it's around mid day when there's least ambient noise normally.

Kind regards,
Walter

probedb

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »

Cheers Walter, it seems to have sorted itself out after a bit of playing. It's syncing about a meg higher than before :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »

I usually recommend a good 24 hours to stabilise (without any further "fiddling") once "adjustments" have been made.  :)

Congratulations on your achievements. Is that a 1 Mbps increase in sync speed or a 1 Mbps increase in throughput speed?

probedb

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »

It's sync speed but it seems to be translating into downloads as well. Sheffield city centre isn't great for broadband surprisingly. Too many flats I think :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »

Sheffield, you say. In that case I shall blame Uncle (or even Auntie) for your poor broadband experience!  ;)  :silly:

anything