Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AOL limiting my speed?  (Read 8493 times)

MrsDaddyCoull

AOL limiting my speed?
« on: November 06, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »

Hi everyone

I only recently changed to adsl max and i'm still on my 10 day training period, so perhaps i'm trying to run before i can walk lol

here's the problem...

i've manged to get my ip profile up to 5000 but the absolute max throughput speed i have achieved on BT speedtest and BBmax is just under 4mb. At best its usually around 3750 and at peak evening times it can go as low as 1000.

Is it likely that AOL are the ones that are keeping my throughput speed at what they would probably consider a 4mb connection. I am paying 24.99 a month on the gold package, which was 2mb but aol promised at the beginning of the year that all their customers would receive FREE upgrades, doubling each customers connection. These upgrades never materialised for most people and when i decided to push like crazy they wanted me to change to the new package for an 'up to 8mb' connection for 14.99 a month, this however involved a new 18 month contract which i flatly refused. I object strongly at not being able to take advantage of the falling trends with broadband charges, without subscribing to a new 18 month contract. I believe loyal customers should be able to feel the benefits in the change in market prices without new contracts.  I insisted i wanted my FREE upgrade and they eventually agreed to regrade me onto adsl max, they told me my line would support up to 5.5mb and i presumed this is what i would be getting. Now i'm wondering if they  have only honoured their commitment to double my connection speed, which is really annoying cos i still pay £10 more a month than new customers receiving their full 8mb.

sorry for waffling on a bit just hoped for someone elses opinions about why i wasnt getting a bit higher throughput speed.

Lis

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: AOL limiting my speed?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »

Could be exchange contention - but TBH right now I wouldnt expect this. 
Its been several months since Ive heard of anyone complaining of bad exchange congestion (possibly related to many users moving to LLU). 

Whilst not conclusive stick your details in the exchange checker
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

Hi Kitz
thanks for the quick response.
Im getting a little obsessed with all this adsl max stuff lol

i forgot to mention i am a bit of an internet addict, so im on here morning noon and night (late) obsessively checking my speed. i've never got it over 3900 at any time of the day.

i just followed the link you posted and it came up with this....

red     Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 01 Nov 07

Record last updated: 15 Oct 07

Historical information for this exchange:
Status    Date
green    08 Oct 07    
green    01 Oct 07    
green    24 Sep 07    
green    17 Sep 07    
green    10 Sep 07

the other strange thing i have just noticed is that previously when checking what speeds i could hope to achieve, samknows and other sites reported up to a 5.5mb connection, now all these sites are only reporting a 2mb connection on adsl max  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

>> Virtual paths: Red

:(
Theres a possibility that some of the slowness could be related to your exchange.  This isnt conclusive because you could be on one of many VPs.  The fix date isnt set in stone either.

Your only real hope of finding out whether its exchange congestion or not is by recording a very low speed so low on the BTw performance tester that it asks you to go on and do "test 3".  I dont know the exact figure for this though Im afraid - In the past its requested me to do this at around 400 kbps.

>> i could hope to achieve, samknows and other sites reported up to a 5.5mb connection, now all these sites are only reporting a 2mb connection on adsl max

The checkers are only a guide but I wouldnt worry too much about that right now - iirc youre still in the training phase when your MSR is set?  2Mb is the default profile figure when you go on Max so it could be related to that.

AOL are doing "4Mbps" accounts for some accounts and if thats the case then they will be throttling your speeds down on their end. 3750 kbps is probably about right if they are giving you a 4Mbps profile after allowing for overheads.  You could try MTU tweaking to see if you can get a bit more.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »

thanks Kitz

>>>> You could try MTU tweaking to see if you can get a bit more.

im addicted to your site, i've tweaked everything i can lol,  i set the mtu to 1450 after doin your ping test but i think in another section you recommended 1430 if using AOL, so i might try changing it to that

I just tried getting in touch with AOL and askin them straight if they were capping/throttling (not sure if they are correct terms) my particular line/account to 4mb. would you believe i got the usual waffle. they asked what i used to do the speed test...
i replied bt wholesale tester cos they log the test as evidence lol
unbelievably he asked me to go to www.download.com and download a random file to see what average download speed i got.
he then admitted it was very low but said he couldnt check to see if i was capped in any way because their "tools were down for maintenance purposes"
yeah right o
in the end he gave the the mile long email telling me how to improve my speeds by deleting caches etc, yawn yawn, i was fed up by this time.
he did then decide my line wasnt capped in any way.
I'm contacting via live help just so i can keep a record  :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »

I thought MTU of 1400 worked best with AOL..
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »

didnt really want to say until you had investigated all other possibilites to make sure it wasnt one of the other reasons... but youre not the first that Ive seen reporting this.  In fact some users have been reporting even slower speeds than you have been seeing.

I strongly suspect that speeds for all protocols are being throttled on AOL. Ive seen too many reports that all peak time speeds are vastly reduced, and things like p2p and even YouTube is practically unusable. - Hence the coloured indicators on my ISP caps page

Whether this is the effect that some of their central pipes are full or if they are traffic shaping I really dont know :/ Its been suspected for a long time that AOL have traffic shaping kit... and since they were taken over by TT they seem to have clamped down big time. :/

Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news :(
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:46:22 AM »

I thought MTU of 1400 worked best with AOL..

It is supposed to quote "AOL users should choose 1400. (TT users should also try 1400).
"  although saying that I believe that they've been tweaking of late and you can use up to 1458 depending on the provision type.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:46:42 AM »

I have to say I've used a couple of AOL connections during peak time.. and it is pretty dire. Neither of them are on the same exchange as me though so there wasn't any chance of a comparison to see if it's related to the exchange or AOL.

The BT Virtual Paths showing as red could still be the problem, though, fingers crossed!
Chris

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 06:06:23 PM »

thanks again folks for your thoughts on the matter

I know very little about adsl but i suspect AOL is gonna be the problem, I have now set my MTU to 1400 as advised
it might be interesting to see if there is any difference when the exchange thing gets resolved.

i guess all i can do is keep on checking

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 12:27:47 AM »

SOMEONE GET ME SOME HELP! LOL - this is taking over my life  ;)

tonight in the quest for speed i've tried the bt domain speed test hoping it would show my isp is throttling my account, alas i was unable to complete the test as it came back with an error. i did try to find out if i was on ipstream or datastream but can find no reference to either on my bt bills.

i've also downloaded netmeter in case im loosing some bandwidth to virii or malware (highly likely with all the crap i download  :-[)
i have recently run S&D and ad aware tho
i was pretty sure i wasnt loosing any to the neighbours tho cos my router has always had the encryption on.
netmeter is pretty dead if i leave my laptop with just IE open and not touching it, but if i leave firefox open and unattended i get peaks of about 19 kB/s downloading every few seconds, tho having said that i've just seen its been pretty static for the last minute or so with no DL/UL activity. i really have no idea what is normal tho?

other thing i tried from another forum (one Kitz was also on) is running the whatisrunning thing through the command, dont know why i bother tho because i really wouldnt know what i was looking for, all the refernces seem to have connection to either my network ip address or my laptop name.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:17 AM »

>> i did try to find out if i was on ipstream

The bt domain speedtest does sometimes get very busy and goes through periods when it wont work and throws up errors.

AOL have LLU enabled some of their exchanges, but since they were taken over by TT, they have also been putting some of their users on the TalkTalk dslams.

You can check to see if your exchange is LLU enabled on the adsl checker.

If you cant complete a BT test login and your exchange is LLU enabled then the chances are high that you are on LLU.
If you can complete a login then you are definitely on IPStream.
-----

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »

>>>AOL have LLU enabled some of their exchanges

yep my exchange is enabled for AOL, CW and TT

>>>If you cant complete a BT test login and your exchange is LLU enabled then the chances are high that you are on LLU.
>>>If you can complete a login then you are definitely on IPStream.

I tried the above, my router accepted connecting to this but i could not load the digitaldemo test page, so I'm not sure if these means i'm LLU or ipstream or what lol

The lowestoft exchange is now showing as green tho for VP

i think its time to go back to AOL and complain again  >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 10:44:02 PM »

>> my router accepted connecting to this

If you got a full connection (and not just sync) then it means that you are on IPStream.
If youre using AOLs DNS its possible that you couldnt browse to the digital demo site in your browser due to DNS not working when logged into the test site.

http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo    would convert to
http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo/
-----

MrsDaddyCoull

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 09:51:13 AM »

Thank you for your patience Kitz

>>>If you got a full connection (and not just sync) then it means that you are on IPStream.

Sorry, being only little joe public, im not really sure how to work out whether it was just a sync or full connection

I tried again and could navigate to this page only...  http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo/

wasnt sure bout the aol dns either  :-\

Lis
Pages: [1] 2

anything