Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Hacking the ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B  (Read 208006 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: Hacking the ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »

Hey, finished by eDMT to the point it's now usable. Make sure you ok the messageboxes otherwise it will NOT progress. To switch modems (if you happen to have multiple) just change the IP and hit login again. Make sure to report any bugs you experience, I'll need to know what you were doing, what messages had been shown, and preferably a screenshot. I also threw in eGrapher that will give you a .bmp copy of the 3 graphs. Source code will follow shortly. Please do not mirror the link, my dropbox only has very limited traffic.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11197643/eDMT.zip

Amazing stuff!  You've built that at an incredible speed! It would have taken me weeks.   I would love to test it but that would require Windows, an ECI modem and a VDSL2 connection.. Hmm.. 

Can I reference your amazing work on that ECI blog, please?

cheers, a

ben1066

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »

Sure, also it will work just fine on Linux and OSX with Mono(http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page). I noticed a bug, I was just throwing away precision. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11197643/eDMT_r1.zip fixes it. I've also uploaded a screenshot of each page since you don't have an ECI modem or a VDSL2 connection.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:25 PM »

Sure, also it will work just fine on Linux and OSX with Mono(http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page). I noticed a bug, I was just throwing away precision. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11197643/eDMT_r1.zip fixes it. I've also uploaded a screenshot of each page since you don't have an ECI modem or a VDSL2 connection.

excellent stuff :-)

a couple of hopefully constructive observations..

integer precision would be adequate in the yrange of every graph, and the subcarrier numbers are an index (i.e. integer)..
maybe trap the -32768 values and replace them with a text-based message "N/A" or similar.
a few units of measure, perhaps.. e.g. what unit is attainable rate and data rate (kbps)?.. Perhaps use that code from DMT for calculating Relative Capacity Occupation RCO (actual div attainable)..

cheers, a
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:47:06 PM by asbokid »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »

It was also interesting to see attenuation for each band AND a single overall DS attenuation value.
Shame it doesn't report US attenuation as a single value.

Looking at Transmit Power, is it just possible than DS & US have been inadvertently switched?
I usually see around 12dBm DS & 6 dBm US from my HG612's single overall values.

FWIW, the first US band plan is named U0, before moving on to U1, U2......, in accordance with the 17a profile in use via BT.
Maybe a simple tweak to report it as such to avoid any potential confusion in any discussion?

@asbokid,

Is there anywhere hidden away in the HG612 firmware to report an overall attenuation value.
I know it has been discussaed previously, but as the ECI can do it.............?

It would also be very interesting to compare attenuation values with those reported from a JDSU.
I believe a JDSU can also be made to report attenuation etc. per band plan (just like the HG612 does already).

I intended to try to do that at the latest engineer's visit, but he turned up with an Exfo & he couldn't find them.

ben1066

« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »

The powers aren't switched, I'll sort out the names tomorrow. And yea, I guess I can just .Replace the -32768 or w/e it is with N/A. Guess it makes for a nicer UI :)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »

Is there anywhere hidden away in the HG612 firmware to report an overall attenuation value.
I know it has been discussed previously, but as the ECI can do it.............?

The attenuation values are only available from the kernel driver on an individual subcarrier basis. So the calculation of the overall attenuation for a band or bands is a mathematical function performed by a userspace tool.

In the Broadcoms, a tool called xdslcmd calculates the aggregate attenuation value for each frequency band.  In theory we could also calculate the overall attenuation value for all DS bands, just as the JDSU and Exfo devices do.

EDIT:

The equation for calculating an aggregate attenuation value is hidden in plain sight... in the G992.3 Recommendations [1]

The average attenuation for a line, a band, a channel or an aggregate of channels is calculated from the linear magnitude function Hlin(f) for each tone, rather than from the logarithmic values from Hlog(f).

However, we can convert Hlog(f) values to Hlin(f) magnitude values using antilogs.

The average attenuation for a channel is then given by the following equation, where NSC is the Number of Sub-Carriers or DMTs utilised by the channel, i is the subcarrier index and Δf is the subcarrier spacing (4.3125kHz for most xDSL standards):

Attached is a ZIP containing sample Hlog data from Bald_Eagle's line, and a small C program that uses the above equation to calculate an aggregate attenuation value for each downstream frequency band using that Hlog data.

cheers, a

[1] http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/measuring-line-characteristics-on-the-huawei/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:04:48 PM by asbokid »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »

The powers aren't switched

When dividing the values by 10 to get to dBm that would be 5.5 for DS & 10.6 for US i.e. completely opposite to how the HG612 usually reports “Output Power”.

I presume Output Power & Transmit Power are in fact the same thing?

I have to also presume (I don’t really know) that DS power would usually be much higher than US power due to the large speed differences between them?

The HG612 does get some of its other data mixed up though.
e.g. users with Interleaving, INP & delay completely OFF are seeing FEC errors in the modem’s GUI, which is reported differently via xdslcmd.

ben1066

« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »

I've fixed the GUI as per your suggestions, all values now have units and unused bands report N/A. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11197643/eDMT_r2.zip

Synner

• Just arrived
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »

Hi All,

Amazing looking work, and record speed!

I have an ECI and have downloaded eDMT, unfortunately I can't get it to run.
Do I need direct connect to the modem?  I've tried the IP and U/Name-Pass combo in your screenshots but no joy.

Thanks and so sorry for the noob questions.

Bri

ben1066

« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »

Currently you can't use it unless you use the UART port to enable telnet access. Until there is a "softmod" this will be the only way to enable access.

Synner

• Just arrived
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info, wish I could contribute but my skillset isn't quite in the right area (actually it's several miles off!)

I'll look forward to a softmod, if anyone can do it it's you guys.

Once again, congratulations on some great work.

Bri

uklad

« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »

Good work guys.. I am impressed you have shot past my abilities im not ashamed to admit..

nimda

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »

PL2303HX converter finally arrived >:D

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »

PL2303HX converter finally arrived >:D

excellent stuff!  good things come to those who wait!

cheers, a

nimda

« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:44 AM »

Is there any need to further document the hardware hack?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21