Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Hacking the ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B  (Read 207726 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Hacking the ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »

^-^  Welcome to the Kitz forum, Liam.

so can I just hook the modem straight up to the com port on my asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 mobo?

The truthful answer is no. You will still need to use an adaptor, otherwise either the modem or your computer will suffer damage. Keeping things simple, I'll say that there is a voltage and protocol difference . . .

I used this RS232 to TTL Converter Cable (based on the ST micro ST3232EC chip) for the task.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

liamstears

« Reply #226 on: November 07, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »

^-^  Welcome to the Kitz forum, Liam.

so can I just hook the modem straight up to the com port on my asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 mobo?

The truthful answer is no. You will still need to use an adaptor, otherwise either the modem or your computer will suffer damage. Keeping things simple, I'll say that there is a voltage and protocol difference . . .

I used this RS232 to TTL Converter Cable (based on the ST micro ST3232EC chip) for the task.

Thanks! I think I will have to grab a cheapo off ebay to get this done then, what program can I use on windows 8 to talk to the box and send the needed commands?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #227 on: November 07, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

Cough! Asking me about BGW (a.k.a. Windoze)?  :-X

Someone hasn't read my signature block!  ::)

At a guess, there will be something like HyperTerm or other terminal emulator program available for use. When you get to that stage, I'm sure someone else will be able to advise you.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2012, 07:44:56 PM »

Thanks! I think I will have to grab a cheapo off ebay to get this done then, what program can I use on windows 8 to talk to the box and send the needed commands?

I just installed hyper terminal following this guide here on Windows 7, may well work on 8. (you'll need an XP cd)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

liamstears

« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:42 PM »

I just installed hyper terminal following this guide here on Windows 7, may well work on 8. (you'll need an XP cd)

Thanks for the link, I forgot about putty, I will use that as ive used it before successfully

usb ttl is on the way :-P

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »

Many thanks to the B*Cat, I now have an unlocked ECI modem  :) (Simply used Putty in a WinXP VM I have for such things on my MacBook).

Some of you may be aware of my current setup - the modem and router are located in separate rooms, with just one cable linking the two. Not good when you're attempting to get stats... or even web gui access!

But, also playing around with the ECI modem, I dug out an old gigabit switch. So I've connected the feed from the modem, and also hooked it upto the router. Router still has access to the net, along with all other devices (as you'd expect). What I did find interesting though, is if I hook another patch lead into the switch and connect that to my laptop. If I correctly set a static IP address, I can also access the web gui of the ECI this way - whilst all other devices in the house still have access to the net!

I never actually tried this setup with the HG612, but I know that refused all access to the web gui from LAN1. When I unlocked the ECI, I could access the gui from LAN1 or LAN2 - so maybe this is something specific to the ECI?

Anyway... just because I can... I'd estimate my E side is around 350m:
Channel Status   Upstream   Downstream
Actual Net Data Rate   20000000 kbps   78308000 kbps
Actual Interleave Delay   0 ms   0 ms
Actual INP   0 Symbols   0 Symbols
Attainable Net Data Rate   27444204 kbps   78355520 kbps
Transmit Power   138 dBm   50 dBm

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:59 AM »

Many thanks to the B*Cat, I now have an unlocked ECI modem  :) (Simply used Putty in a WinXP VM I have for such things on my MacBook).

Some of you may be aware of my current setup - the modem and router are located in separate rooms, with just one cable linking the two. Not good when you're attempting to get stats... or even web gui access!

But, also playing around with the ECI modem, I dug out an old gigabit switch. So I've connected the feed from the modem, and also hooked it upto the router. Router still has access to the net, along with all other devices (as you'd expect). What I did find interesting though, is if I hook another patch lead into the switch and connect that to my laptop. If I correctly set a static IP address, I can also access the web gui of the ECI this way - whilst all other devices in the house still have access to the net!

I never actually tried this setup with the HG612, but I know that refused all access to the web gui from LAN1. When I unlocked the ECI, I could access the gui from LAN1 or LAN2 - so maybe this is something specific to the ECI?

Anyway... just because I can... I'd estimate my E side is around 350m:
Channel Status   Upstream   Downstream
Actual Net Data Rate   20000000 kbps   78308000 kbps
Actual Interleave Delay   0 ms   0 ms
Actual INP   0 Symbols   0 Symbols
Attainable Net Data Rate   27444204 kbps   78355520 kbps
Transmit Power   138 dBm   50 dBm

Interesting. My stats are reasonably similar to yours, though astonishingly your upload speed is considerably better than mine. Here's mine to compare.

Code: [Select]
Upstream Downstream
Actual Net Data Rate 19996000 kbps 59996000 kbps
Actual Interleave Delay 0 ms 0 ms
Actual INP 0 Symbols 0 Symbols
Attainable Net Data Rat.19851744 kbps 82172688 kbps
Transmit Power 103 dBm -1 dBm

Oh, P.S. are you by any chance the person called 'givemeausername' on eBay?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »

Many thanks to the B*Cat, I now have an unlocked ECI modem  :)

Don't forget Jess, Pat's black and white companion. I'm sure she had a paw in the quick delivery of those header pins . . .  ;)

Excellent news. Thank you for explaining, for it could prove to be valuable information to others in a similar situation.  :thumbs:

I'd estimate my E side is around 350m

Eh? (Pun intended.) Perhaps a discrete application of sed 's/E side/D-side/' is called for?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:36:52 AM by burakkucat »

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:27 AM »

My eBay username (as B*Cat has correctly guessed), is my forum username plus an arbitrary number ;)

I'm not suite sure why our upload speeds are so different Ixel. I'm on underground cabling, and I'd hazard a guess that mine are actually copper and not aluminium. I've walked from the cab to my house, and the path does have a BT duct opening every so often. My estate is relatively new, so unless they dug underneath existing houses I can't see any other way of getting the cables there.

B*Cat: that's how I've worked out my E-side (cable length from house to cab yes?) is around 350m. Interestingly enough, if I put my friends address into the checker (who lives no. Ore 25m down the road) his upload speed drops below the 20mb max that mine shows... I think it's estimated around 17.5mb... Just for living an extra 25m down the road.
I wonder if that's the start of the bubble where vdsl drops off?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

. . . my E-side (cable length from house to cab yes?)

:no:  No. That is the D-side. (Distribution side.) The E-side (Exchange side) is thus from the exchange to the PCP.

I wonder if that's the start of the bubble where vdsl drops off?

Our Bald_Eagle1 has a good knowledge on such line characteristics and should readily be able to provide some figures.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »

I see, interesting. Very strange though, my line also goes underground, perhaps there's some interference or quality issue that's effecting my attainable upload, though my attainable download is a tad faster than yours. I also tried my 0.5m~ ADSLNation Pro+ RJ11 cable which gives me a slightly lower attainable downstream (from 85,000Kbps~ to 82,000Kbps~) but a slightly higher upstream (from about 19,000Kbps~ to around 19,900Kbps-20,200Kbps depending on time of day and weather).

I'm just waiting for DLM to hopefully uncap my downstream. Been over a week since connection uptime and no changes as yet :(.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:58:17 AM by Ixel »

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »

:no:  No. That is the D-side. (Distribution side.) The E-side (Exchange side) is thus from the exchange to the PCP.
Whoooops, that is why I am still very much a beginner to all this stuff! Can't even sort my terminology out!

That's very odd DLM still hasn't reacted yet. I'm still assuming the hg612 doesn't play brilliantly with an ECI cab, and if that is the case then DLM reacted less than 36 hours after swapping my modem back to the ECI one.
My connection from master socket to modem is about 20cm. I found a 4 core, non-twisted pair cable lying around which I cut down and crimped new RJ11 plugs on either end.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »

My connection from master socket to modem is about 20cm. I found a 4 core, non-twisted pair cable lying around which I cut down and crimped new RJ11 plugs on either end.

You only need two conductors, as one unshielded twisted pair (UTP), to do the job properly . . .  :-\

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »

Ah.. forgot to add that I didn't have any 2 core lying around.  :angel: I didn't purposefully choose it specifically because it had 4 cores :)  I think it might've been the cord from the old phone we had, and the missus preferred it because it was white!

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »

Our Bald_Eagle1 has a good knowledge on such line characteristics and should readily be able to provide some figures.

I can't really comment as I haven't looked into upload speeds in any detail.
Most users seem to be more interested in download speeds & are apparently perfectly content with whatever upload speeds they are seeing on their connections.

However, a loss of 2.5Mb upload speed for only 25m extra distance does seem too much of a drop.
The estimates are only that though - estimates.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

anything