Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FireFox 10.0 available now  (Read 7243 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
FireFox 10.0 available now
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »

Either from Filehippo

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/

Or by clicking the orange Firefox button>Help>about Firefox>check for updates

AdrianH

Re: FireFox 10.0 available now
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

Good luck with that then, it is already causing issues  :lol: .

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »

Can you expand on "already causing issues" please.  The detail may just help those in peril from an update.

Colin

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

I've updated, no problems  ....  and all my 'add on' are compatible   ..  I am STILL undecided between FF and Opera  ::)

Thanks Unc  :flower:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »

I've updated, no problems  ....  and all my 'add on' are compatible   ..  I am STILL undecided between FF and Opera  ::)

Thanks Unc  :flower:

Yes I too updated and all add-ons are compatible.  :)

I do use FF less and less these days in favour of Chrome,and sometimes Opera

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »

Can you expand on "already causing issues" please.  The detail may just help those in peril from an update.

Colin

Reports are coming in from users on forums and websites that this version is not working where applications use "browser checks".
Firefox 10 was released today.

This was reported on anther forum...

Just hit one site which spit the dummy with the browser version# check – apparently 2-digit browser version numbers can be a problem.
 It saw FF10 as FF1 and suggested to update to at least FF3
If anyone has browser version checks in their add-ons they might want to review them
There have been a good few more and webmasters are finding that control panels are not functioning correctly ......
Many people in the site /forum admin world are thorougly sick and tired of the constant "upgrade" nonsense and changing features which Mozilla are producing as it causes huge headaches for them. Indeed many are now dropping Firefox altogether and 2 admins I spoke with today with extremely large forums are seriously considering dropping any futher support for Mozilla products. They tell visitors to use Opera or Chrome now.
If you have 3+ million posts, 200,000 members and hundreds of pages to maintain these issues soon become totally overwhelming.
Personally I wont have a browser authored by a community that has a habit of producing security flaws and needs patching with "no script "  to make it safe to use on any system of mine.
Browsers that support/require Active X are the reason for the propogation of malware. ;)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

Interestingly about browser updates,if you go back to near the beginning of the Webmail and browsing thread..Opera 9.1 was rolled out around Dec 2006 and we are now on version 11.61

Firefox 2 was rolled out around Sept 2006 and we are now on version 10.0.

I think FF has lost a lot of friends these last few months because of the way the are constantly rolling updates out and catching various companies out who then have to play catch up

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »

It's easy enough in FF to change the user agent string so that it presents itself as Firefox 9 (say), to overcome the browser version checks.
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

It's easy enough in FF to change the user agent string so that it presents itself as Firefox 9 (say), to overcome the browser version checks.

As an individual with the knowledge, yes but if you have thousands of visitors an hour and they meet this issue?

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »

They could always  come on here and ask Eric   ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »

As an individual with the knowledge, yes but if you have thousands of visitors an hour and they meet this issue?

There is an add-on which allows customisation of the user agent string easily, right now cant remember what it is called as its on my PC which is under repair.

Stuart

PS. just updated this laptop to FF10 with no problems so far.

PPS. the add-on is called User Agent Switcher
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:12:59 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »

I don't...won't....use Firefox, but this may be of interest.

It's the Firefox 10 release notes.......scroll doen a bit and see the "known but unresolved issues"
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/10.0/releasenotes/

Having said that, I do not see the Mozilla forum ( or any other forum) full of complaints about the usage of this version.

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

I have Opera as default browser, (I'm getting more used to it's little idiosyncrasies  ;D)  but I do change to Firefox if I want the radio  on in the evening   so that I can leave it on, and have the auto-shutdown do its stuff without crashing Opera !  However, since the last update of FF (the one before this one) the BBC Radio player is playing "silly people"  It has decided that it won't open in the FF Tab, I have to change it to the IE Tab in order for it to work  :shrug2:   That's a not a query on how to sort it ... I can live with that !  it's just my reason for keeping FF.  Why don't they all get together and make one really super duper, safe to use, bug free, browser that we can all use  ... :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »

Why don't they all get together and make one really super duper, safe to use, bug free, browser that we can all use

I expect that every browser producer on the planet would say that their browser fits the description... ;D
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »

I've found that on my system, v10 crashes if I try to access http://speedtester.bt.com/ :(

(Correction - it crashes after I click on the ADSL button)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2