Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AVI Files questions  (Read 5412 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
AVI Files questions
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »

I am at last getting to sort out my video files, since having had to recover them after my extreme senior moment.

Some have a thumbnail that is a preview and will play properly, whilst others' thumbnails are just the icon. Some of the latter will play, others not.

I understand that the unplayables will be corrupted, but not how some of the playable ones produce a preview thumbnail  others not, the media detail being the same.

The left side of the attachment is an example of both versions of the playables, the right those that fail to play.

Comments?

[attachment deleted by admin]

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: AVI Files questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

I dunno if any help as post is old, but reason your seeing thumbnails is because the video file is using an un-supported codec, you need correct codec installed for thumbnail to be displayed and even then it depends if windows supports diplsaying those codecs, I cant get windows to disaply thumbnails when its .mkv file
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »

I generally just download the K-Lite Codec Pack (google it). That should sort out all your audio/video codec problems in Windows.

If you don't know what you're doing with codecs then just accept the defaults when it installs.

Oh and AVI is just a container, within it you could have audio-video encoded in different formats and with different options. AVI just stands for audio-video interleave which is a pretty meaningless phrase :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »

hi Rizla - I prefer to avoid codecs altogether and use VLC Player - however if I had a decent PC I would use codecs and Media Player Classic as you can get some nice advanced options through the codecs, decent sharpening , noise removal & other things etc

for Audio I use Foobar2000 with ASIO output and iZotope Mastering Plug-in ... brings old or poor quality music back to life! :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

You need codecs with VLC matey, the machine running VLC still needs to know how to encode/decode the audio-video stream, they're just mainly built into the player :)

The pack I mentioned will work with any player in Windows - its just a collection of codecs and an install script.

I dunno what you're on about "decent PC" - anything built in the last ten years will do fine. I have a Windows7 mediacenter PC which is an ION-based unit (Intel Atom + ancient NVidia lappie gfx) and that works fine for full HD playback on any format. Eats about 45W when running flat-out.

If you're on about encoding/editing video then, again pretty much anything from the last 10 years will work. VideoDubMod for example isn't exactly new :) Newer hardware works faster but I just setup a batch encode and leave it running in the background.