Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LLU saves IPSTREAM???  (Read 5251 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
LLU saves IPSTREAM???
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »

Hi all,

I have noticed over the last year that contention on the BT network for me has become less of an issue. If anything i would say it is not an issue 22hrs of the day. About 9 months ago i started using MLPPP to stap 2x MAX PREMIUM lines together and it was quite annoying to see that when downloading a large file the lines would contend against each other to try and get all the bandwidth.

I was wondering whether the introduction of more LLU providers at my exchange(Fleetwood) could have reduced the traffic significantly over my exchange meaning that i get a greater share of it.

I am not sure whether this could be the case or whether BT have just given it a greater backhaul. I was wondering what is the most likely cause of my increased speed?

I know for a fact my ISP is not the limiting factor as his central still has "bags of capacity left" and i am downloading the files from his server.

PS*  I might no more about BTs infrastructure next year when i start the apprenticeship(i missed it last year :( ) .

James Barlow

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: LLU saves IPSTREAM???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »

Actually I said to rizla in another thread only a couple of days ago, that despite this exchange being notorious for contention, right now things seem ok (touch wood).

I also mentioned similar thoughts as what youve had about one of the LLU dslams -
I dunno if you know but the Sky dslam here is full already and cant accept any more new orders.  That was hellishly quick to fill up in just 6 few months.. and I wondered if a pile of heavies had gone over there.

The other LLU dslam is TT... and I dunno if you know anyone thats on that? But just ask them what their speeds are like - its appauling!  I was round at someone's house on a supposed 8Mb connection (27dB atten) which ran at around 400kbps during peak. Thats http and dont bother trying p2p or any large downloads.  Btw he only uses a few GB per month and isnt capped cause of that.

UKO was tempting me the other week if I could have got one of their 22Mbps accounts - but because theyve now restructured and the max speed they are doing is 16Mbps.  However I have doubts (1) because of the 12 month tie in (2) Because they are using the sky dslam.
Therefore Im wondering just whats going to happen on that dslam and share the same backhaul.

Do you know anyone here with a sky 16Mb connection that could give it a bit of a "testing"?  (The ones I know are are either the free or 8Mb).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:05:12 PM »

I only know people on the 2mb and 8mb contract.

I got a bit of contention at about 4pm today when the schools finished. My speeds were about 10,000kbps instead of the usual 13,000+.

What do the figures on samknows DB show where it says:
serves 11,456 residential premises and 617 non-residential premises

Is that telephone lines or internet connected lines? If the first is there anyway to get these figures and monitor them over a long period of time and possibly look at the last year? Also we would need to know how many subscribers were LLU and how many were BTw(I have a feeling BT would not like the readings(at least in our exchange).

It would be nice to see if our guesses are correct.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:29:17 PM »

Telephone lines - afaik those figures dont appear to have changed in several years.

Surprising isnt it that it took us ages to reach the required 400 pre-reg signatures.. yet when I went round the exchange in July 2003, there was already nearly 2000 adsl lines installed.
Sad git here did a rough estimate based on the no of wired up patch panels (theres 96 in a block).. The engineer laughed and said I wasnt too far out.

With a little bit of knowledge and some maths, at one point could approx work out how many bt lines were active using information on the prodigy site.
Unfortunately though, I heard that  Prodigy got a bit of a rollicking from BT for putting up what info they did.. and a couple of months ago the info has been pulled from the site. 
Wish Id kept a copy of some of the stats Id done on there :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »

Shame :(

Is there any freedom of xxxxx act that will let us grab a copy?

EDIT: Do you rekon you would be allowed in again wearing some funny looking sunglasses and cap  :lol:.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:55:35 PM »

>>> Do you rekon you would be allowed in again wearing some funny looking sunglasses and cap

hmmmm  wonder if I sat outside and smiled sweetly at one of the engineers?  :lol:

Only thing is the "resident engineers" there are the telephone engineers..   Youd be able to see all the patch panels..  but the dslams were behind locked cabinets which only the adsl engineers have access too... and theres not that much you can see anyhow.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 06:57:11 PM »

hmmmm  wonder if I sat outside and smiled sweetly at one of the engineers?  :lol:

Just put on a skimpy dress and flutter your eyelashes :P
* mr_chris runs for his life
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »

>> put on a skimpy dress

I'd freeze to death sat outside the exchange like that this time of year  :(
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »

fur coat?  :-X
* mr_chris is pushing it
Chris

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 07:01:03 PM »

LOL (ohhhh - get running think ha ha)

It looks like a tank. Although they do leave the windows open every night.

Up for a bit of mission impossible  :lol:.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »

fur coat?  :-X
* mr_chris is pushing it

I hope you weren't implying what I think you were implying  :slap:
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 12:50:56 AM »

Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 12:52:52 AM »

:P
-----