Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Disconnect whilst uninstalling antivirus?  (Read 1941 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Disconnect whilst uninstalling antivirus?
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

Hi

With the problems I had with the lappy not booting up properly (now fixed) and Norton's playing up at the same time, it seems Norton's interface is now corrupted in that not everything is showing properly.  It's still working and updating and I can run a scan but things aren't showing as they were before the lappy probs.  I mailed Norton help and they responded giving me links to uninstall 2011 and link to upgrade to 2012 (which I was thinking of doing anyway as subs end in March).  Kindly they have added another 30 days to my renewal period so I'm pleased they have done that.

Question is...should I disconnect with the net whilst I do the uninstall?   With the instructions they have given me they didn't say to disconnect but I think I should so just needed your advice here please.  I know to download new product first before I uninstall and then install new version etc as they gave me all the details...so it's just the disconnecting the connection I need help with please.  I know you don't like Norton's but I have been happy with it this year...until the problem with the boot up et al.

Thanks for your help.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Disconnect whilst uninstalling antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »

Chrissie, I'm sorry that this has remained unanswered for so long.

As you say, the idea is to download the new version and save it somewhere handy ( such as the desktop) , then uninstall the old and then install the new.
For uninstalling the old, it may also be a good idea to download the Norton uninstall and clean up tool and run it......you may be asked to reboot at that point.
Then install the new.again you may be asked to reboot at that point.

I don't think you need to disconnect from the great interwebby when doing all that...in fact the installation may require a connection as some of the progs. download only an installer and require to "phone home" for the rest of the files.

Is your firewall part of the Norton suite, or are you using another one.......if another one that will protect you.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

Hi TD

Thanks for your reply (hope you are feeling a lot better today btw).  The Norton's on the lappy is 2011 which includes the firewall.  Not sure atm if I will download the norton's on the web or look for cheaper deal in disks in one of the stores.  In fact not even sure which is better, the download update or uninstall with their link which they sent me and just install new disks....decisions decision lol.

Thanks for giving me the info tho re disconnecting it's nice to know it's ok not to have to.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »

Go for the download option, chrissie........the disc in the shops could be weeks/months out of date having sat on the shelves for goodness knows how long. At least with a download you will get a bang up to date prog.