Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No shutdown confirmation in W7  (Read 7083 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
No shutdown confirmation in W7
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »

Since getting my new laptop with W7 and not having time yet to install Linux (my main PC is in for repair so I dont want to take this one down for now) instead we are using W7. One really annoying thing is that there is no longer a confirmation when shutdown is selected, no other system I have used allows shutdown without confirmation and yet this is the official M$ design for W7.

Has anyone found a way to force a confirmation on Home Premium?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: No shutdown confirmation in W7
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »

Do you have, immediately to the right of the shutdown button (in the start menu), an arrow which you can expand to find the dialog tree you're looking for? You can also access the "log off" button by pressing ctrl-alt-del.'

If you want it to appear on the start menu without clicking the arrow, you can adjust the local machine policy by typing in the search/run field, "gpedit.msc" and pressing enter. Then navigate to "User Configuration", "Administrative Templates", "Start Menu and Taskbar". Modify the policy "Add Logoff to the Start Menu." Change it to enabled. Reboot.

Does that help ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »

I found that gpedit.msc stuff but the program does not exist on Home Premium, plus this also requires a reason for shutdown, and yes I know I can change what is shown as the default on the button. However why on earth does M$ decide to not have a shutdown confirmation. As I said W7 will go as soon as I get my main PC back from repair so it's a short term issue for me. I just wondered if I had missed a trick about getting a confirmation.

Stuart

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »

Each to their own; I actually LIKE the way W7 works in this respect.  :graduate:

It would be interesting to see if this complaint correlates with "Linux preferrers".  ;)

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

I agree with HP and don't see it as a problem and therefore I am in favour of the official MS design of Windows 7 in this respect.
I dislike numerous  confirmation requests for an action I wish to take.
Windows 7 keeps it simple.

As the Shutdown box is separate from the other options, you can't click on it by mistake.

You have expressed a dislike to Windows 7 before and your preference to Linux.
I say no more.

Each to their own.

exo

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »

Microsoft removed the feature by popular request. It does cause comment and there are those that hate it . I have never found it a problem, it just means you need to take care with your actions.

If you want that feature it is simple enough, just download and install the gadget (bottom left) on this page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets  called TOP - Vista Shutdown Control  that will provide you with the nag screen  ;)

It seems from reading this thread that no matter what Win7 gave you you are determined to hate it ...........

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »

It seems from reading this thread that no matter what Win7 gave you you are determined to hate it ...........

No I dont hate it.... I objected to having to buy a Laptop which includes a cost for an OS I dont need, I am giving W7 a run as I dont want to take down the only working PC (my main one is being repaired) to install Linux right now.

So far W7 is in many ways an improvement over what I have used in the past W95, W98, W2K, and XP. One of my main gripes about all these OSes is their requirement to reboot sometimes more than once to update the OS something by now I would have expected M$ to improve on. I also feel that a lot of the stuff you have to use to set up things via the Control Panel has been dumbed down in typical M$ style preventing you from doing things easily, I can accept that for a non-admin user but as administrator you should have full and simple access to everything. For example my shutdown gripe is one, it should be a admin option to select to have a confirmation option.

I also think M$ software is in general overpriced, why would anyone use their office suite when for 99% of users Libreoffice does everything you need for free.

Stuart

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »

I agree the M$ prices are far too high, especially as in the USA it is a lot lower for the same thing.
Libre Office ........ well I tried that and found it dreadful, I get over the cost of M$ office suite by using the student discount scheme, I have Office 2010 for only £37  :) , if you have children or are a grandparent you can legally obtain loads of premium applications at huge discounts. ;)
PM me for the URL for the software site.
You might like the "God Mode Enabler" http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Windows-7-God-Mode-Tool.shtml which expands all the Windows menus.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »

You don't have to purchase a laptop with an operating system, though you will have to search harder to find one without.

Windows updates are normally installed when you shutdown the computer, so I don't follow your complaint of constant reboots to install.

Microsoft is a private company that will only survive if it creates profit.
How much profit is a different argument.
The costs are high in the UK because we dum Brits just pay the asking price without complaint.
It always pays to plan in advance and look for discounts.

Windows 7 can normally be adapted to work the way you want.
You may have to search Google or Microsoft for the answer but as you come across as a die hard Linux user, I am sure you are used to doing that.

exo

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »

In the days when I used to work for a living, the IT dept seemed to have a way of scheduling non-optional restarts after automatic updates for the Windows systems.   That would have been XP and earlier.

It used to be great fun to see the cheerful little popup box warning of an imminent reboot, maybe just a few minutes from the end of a test-suite that had taken hours to run, and would need to be run all over again following the reboot.    >:(