Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opera 11.61 available  (Read 4814 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Opera 11.61 available
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »

Usual place > Help> Check for updates.  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Opera 11.61 available
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »

Thank you, unkyUb.........gottum.  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »

I'm not asking for help   ...  ;D   but  ---   I downloaded the update   .... restarted Opera - the version is 11.60  :'(   I clicked on check for updates again (thinking it must not have worked) and it says I'm up to date  ???   is it me ?  :D

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »

You probably now have 2 Opera installs.  When you upgrade you do so via the Help> Ckeck for updates button and there is an automatic upgrade system.

To upgrade manually you need to back up settings and then uninstall your current version. If you look in programs and see 2 Opera installs remove the latest and start again.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »

You can uninstall Opera safely without worrying about the prefs. and settings which are held in a directory seperate to that of the actual program.

A new install will find and use those prefs.

@ scottiesmum......when you say "I downloaded the update".........do you mean that you went "help>check for updates" or did you download a fresh new Opera and then install it. ?

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »

I did what Unc said, TD  ......  help -check for updates   .... it said there was an update I followed the instructions which explained once downloaded, it was just a case of restarting Opera and it would have updated.     :'(     I think I have Phantom of the Opera installed    ::)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »

The system is help>check for updates........it will announce that there is a new version available and do you want to update to which you say yes please.

It will then download the installer and state that Opera must be closed and restarted to which you say yes.......Opera then shuts down and you are left staring at your desktop for some time ( a good few seconds) with apparently nothing happening.....then the installer gets to work and updates the program which will eventually burst into life.

So many people assume that once the installer is downloaded, that is it and during the wee hesitation described above open Opera to continue browsing.......which stops the installer doing it's thing.

I suspect that is what has happened...you have downloaded the installer but not let it do it's thing.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »

I think I have Phantom of the Opera installed   
  :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »

Do I need to 'find' the download TD  ?   and where to look ?   I've looked on Tools, Downloads  and there is nothing listed  !   Would it be OK just to leave it alone and wait for next update OR will it twiddle itself when I shut down the system ?     It still tells me I am using the latest Version of Opera  :-\      Under Version 11.60 it says  Build 1185  .... thank you again. 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »

>>> Do I need to 'find' the download TD <<<
No .....it is a temp file which is either used or abandoned.

Download it as described above.......leave the PC alone to do it's thing and until Opera re-opens with a splash screen ( on a new tab) indicating that the new is installed.

However, from what you say you have half an update, but no it will not "twiddle" itself on reboot.........so go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/ and hit the green "download latest version" button ( top right hand corner ) and save that to your desktop.
Once you have that......control panel/add remove progs and uninstall current version then fresh install from the downloaded one.

Don't worry...your prefs. will be safe.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »

Whilst on the subject of Opera,how come on some websites it never finishes loading all the elements in.Part of the Dell website is and example

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:48 PM »

Thank you TD  .... all done and dusted now following your instructions   ....  and, VOILA !  I have 11.61   ;D :thumbs:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

@ unkyUb   That has always been a gripe with Opera on sites which have not been tested in Opera, which is very much a minority interest compared to IE, Firefox, Chrome.

But......on these sites you can try masking as Firefox to see if it improves any.

@ scottiesmum........ :clap2:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

Thank you TD  .... all done and dusted now following your instructions   ....  and, VOILA !  I have 11.61   ;D :thumbs:

:clap2:

Front row now in the Gods.........Let the performance begin  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:11:40 PM by UncleUB »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »

@ unkyUb   That has always been a gripe with Opera on sites which have not been tested in Opera, which is very much a minority interest compared to IE, Firefox, Chrome.

But......on these sites you can try masking as Firefox to see if it improves any.

Thanks TD,thought that might be the case,it didn't work masking/identifying as FF,no big problem  :)
Pages: [1] 2