Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Close to BT Instal Date but No Home Hub - Yet  (Read 6359 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
Close to BT Instal Date but No Home Hub - Yet
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »

Currently I'm with Zen, but I've signed up to BT so that I can upgrade to Infinity.

I'm supposed to be getting a Home Hub router so that I can then complete the setup.

Today is Monday, and on Thursday I will be switched over to the BT Broadband service, but so far, nothing has been delivered.

A couple of questions - how late do BT leave it before delivering the router?

If they don't deliver the router in time, presumably I can use my existing Netgear DG834GT. But I will need to know the setup info, in particular the user and password details. Do they come with the Home Hub router, or would they be sent separately?

As you can imagine, I'm getting a bit twitchy ....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Close to BT Instal Date but No Home Hub - Yet
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »

Just checking, for clarity. Your current ADSL / ADSL2+ service is supplied by Zen an you are about to transfer that service from Zen to BT as a precursor to obtaining their Infinity product, once your exchange and cabinet are enabled?

Do you realise that many ISPs / CPs can supply a FTTC based service, Zen included? Unless you really want to use the BT Infinity product, I would have remained with Zen until the cabinet was enabled for the FTTC services and then looked to see what Zen could offer me.

If they don't deliver the router in time, presumably I can use my existing Netgear DG834GT. But I will need to know the setup info, in particular the user and password details. Do they come with the Home Hub router, or would they be sent separately?

Last question answered first. There are no end-user specific login details required for the modem/router, for a BT broadband service. As for your BT broadband service information, you should have been sent a letter. Both letter and Home Hub may still arrive before Thursday's service transfer . . .

At a push, yes, you could use your DG834GT. If that becomes necessary, a pair of login strings such as "bt@btinternet.net" and "dummy" would probably be appropriate. Hmm.  :hmm:  I have a spare HH3 sitting in my grotto. I could look up the generic login strings on that. To do so would mean I would have to drop off line . . .

O.k. I've just checked. The default login setting for a HH3 is "bthomehub@btbroadband.com" and the password is a null string.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:43:00 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »

Hi burakkucat.

I want fibre, but am switching from Zen, who also have a fibre offering. But it costs 30% more and only gives you 25% of the data allowance. I would have preferred to stay with Zen, but the offer was too good to pass.

Although I have a BT line, my calls were routed by another cheap call provider. As I want Infinity, I have to do a 2 step process:
1. To get the BT broadband service which switches my phone back to BT
2. Switch to Infinity as soon as 1 is done.

Actually my street and exchange are all fibred up.

Thanks for the info.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

At a push, yes, you could use your DG834GT. If that becomes necessary, a pair of login strings such as "bt@btinternet.net" and "dummy" would probably be appropriate. Hmm.  :hmm:  I have a spare HH3 sitting in my grotto. I could look up the generic login strings on that. To do so would mean I would have to drop off line . . .

O.k. I've just checked. The default login setting for a HH3 is "bthomehub@btbroadband.com" and the password is a null string.

Whilst experimenting with my own FTTC connection, I did indeed try my old ADSL Netgear DG834GT modem/router connected to the BT supplied Huawei HG612 VDSL2 modem.

From memory, I just had to change the Netgear's settings from PPPoA (ADSL) to PPPoE (Ethernet), reusing my original Plusnet login details.

Wireless security was lowered to WEP rather than WAP2 though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:24:57 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »

I want fibre, but am switching from Zen, who also have a fibre offering. But it costs 30% more and only gives you 25% of the data allowance. I would have preferred to stay with Zen, but the offer was too good to pass.

Although I have a BT line, my calls were routed by another cheap call provider. As I want Infinity, I have to do a 2 step process:
1. To get the BT broadband service which switches my phone back to BT
2. Switch to Infinity as soon as 1 is done.

Actually my street and exchange are all fibred up.

Ah, all is now clear. So your usage of the BT ADSL2+ Broadband service will only be for a short while.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »

Whilst experimenting with my own FTTC connection, I did indeed try my old ADSL Netgear DG834GT modem/router connected to the BT supplied Huawei HG612 VDSL2 modem.

From memory, I just had to change the Netgear's settings from PPPoA (ADSL) to PPPoE (Ethernet), reusing my original Plusnet login details.

Wireless security was lowered to WEP rather than WAP2 though.
Ah that's interesting. I thought the Netgear router would have to be replaced when I get moved onto fibre.

As part of the switch to BT ADSL I will get (very soon I hope!) a Home Hub 3. But it will be useful to keep the Netgear as a fall-back option should the HH ever go t*ts up