Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orange Livebox.  (Read 11420 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Orange Livebox.
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »

I have just changed to Orange and use their Livebox wireless connection with a Netgear WG111 as supplied by Orange.

I set it all up as per the instructions and discs.

As you can tell, I am on line now wirelessly and in my notification bar
the Netgear icon shows
'Netgear WG111v3 connected to Livebox-B998' and
the connection icon shows
'Wireless Network Connection (Livebox B998)
Speed 54.0Mbps,
Signal Strength: Excellent,

The Livebox is also a connection for an internet second line phone that does not need the computer to be on, but I do not have that set up yet because it takes about a week to get a new number for it.
When I get the phone set up this week I should be able to check that it is online even if the PC is shut down. Also I will be able to check the true 'online' status of the box when the PC browsers cannot connect. Until then I have to assume the box is not defective.

At the moment, if I shut down the PC at night but leave the Livebox On (which it is meant to be), when I start up the PC next day I am unable to get online and both my browsers just show a blank white screen under the toolbars and they time-out after about 30 seconds.
My wireless connections are indicating the same as above and the lights on the box indicate that it is connected to the web and also connected to my wireless  network.

To get on line I have to reboot the Livebox and wait for it going through the full setup procedure again.

After 3 days of email communications from some eastern call centre (I am not paying premium rate calls to not be able to understand what they are saying) all I have had is a list of links to different help pages on their help & support site, which I have already gone through.

I am at a loss as to why I cannot get on line until I reboot the Livebox if my PC has been shut down, when all the indications are that my PC is 'talking' with the box and the box is indicating that it is on line.

I must have missed something really simple but don't know what.

I am open to any advice from anyone who can either speak English or link me to some site that I have not been to yet.
Thanks.
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Orange Livebox.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »

Need to try narrow down where the problem may be occurring.

~ Have you tried to see if the same thing happens if you're connected by ethernet?

~ When its not connecting, can you still ping any other of the PCs or router on the Network?

~ Even though you cant access the internet - Check to see if you can still access the routers web interface (normally at http://192.168.1.1 for the Liveboxes).

What modem/router did you use previously?  If you had a USB modem make sure that you have removed any drivers/software..  the ST330 software in particular is quite well known to cause some very strange conflicts when you then go on to use a router.

Couple of other things to check just for elimination purposes

~ The router hasnt got an idle time out set in it somewhere.
~ IE is set to "never dial a connection"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:18:50 PM »

Thanks for that, Kitz.
I will go through the list tomorrow when the 'Manager' has gone to work.
Re the ethernet set up. Originally the instructions were to set up via ethernet OR wirelessly and I could not get a wired connection so I set it up using their second string of instructions and it worked Ok until I shut down the PC.
as I said I will try again on Monday.
Thanks.
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »

>> the instructions were to set up via ethernet OR wirelessly

Shouldnt make any difference.  TBH I prefer to have at least one PC wired... even if the rest are wireless.

Even I've managed to accidentally lock myself out of a wireless connection when fiddling with things.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:25:28 AM »

Is it an Inventel or Sagem "Orange Livebox"? A quick google seems to indicate that the Sagem has both wireless and dhcp "issues". If you can't get a wired connection then its more than likely that the dhcp daemon (server) in the Livebox has died - which would probably require a reboot.

My brother-in-law had one of these "Livebox" things a while back and I seem to remember him having nothing but problems with it :(

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:10:27 AM »

If it is a DHCP issue, which is quite possible, then probably the easiest thing to do would be to set a static IP address on the PC.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/router.htm takes you through the steps necessary to do so.

Make sure that you know which IP address range your livebox is on (usually the box is on 192.168.1.1), so if that's the case you can use any address in the range 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254. I'd be tempted to use something like 192.168.1.20 to keep it away from the DHCP range.

Hope that makes sense :)
Chris

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:33:31 AM »

Thanks All,
I uninstalled the Netgear and returned the Livebox (it is an Inventel, Rizla) to the factory settings.
Then a quick rummage in the dust on the floor and I plugged in the ethernet cable that came with the box.
I went right therough the prcedure for setting up and getting on line, then shut down the PC and restarted it and was able to get on lone with no problems.
So I then set up the Netgear again and when up and running I removed the wired connection and again rebooted the PC and all was well.
To double check all was still OK, I shutdown the PC before going to the Doctors and when I returned about 1 hour later I started then PC and it connected to the web without a problem.

Thanks again for all the help and I will keep the advice from Chris on file should it playup again.

I must say it is nice getting advice in English. :D ;D :D
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »

Glad its sorted dave :)
-----

davewh

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »

Hi.

I've recently got an Orange livebox with a Netgear wg111v3 wireless router.

Everythings connected up -- the Broadband works Ok wired -- the router finds the livebox -- then after a few seconds it starts scanning again -- then finds it  -- then starts scanning again.

The icons at the bottom of the screen go red -- then green -- then red.
I've tried all sorts of configs -- but nothing works.
PS -- I'm not a tech-head so make it simple!!

Any ideas? -- regards, Davewh

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

Hi and welcome.

I'm guessing here as I don't know anything about the Livebox, but it sounds as though the security settings in the Livebox and the router don't match. Both must be configured to use the same security protocol (WEP or WPA, preferably the latter) with the same password.

Someone else might have more ideas.
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »

I take it that the Netgear wg111v3 is a USB wireless adapter and your havig problems getting it to connect wirelessly to the Orange Livebox?

Are you using Windows XP with SP2?

If you are using the Netgear configuration utility and having disconnections, and have XP as above, try using the standard Windows XP Wirelss Configuration options to establish a connection.

Also log in to the Live Box and check the Wireless channel. Some wireless channels seem can be unreliable when using automatic channel selection.

This setting is set as default to allow the equipment to avoid problems with other nearby wireless networks etc.

If there are no other networks nearby try changing the Live Box wireless to channel 11.

This is the "safe" choice which will often work when wireless otherwise fails to work properly. If you still have problems, try some other channels a few numbers apart say 8, or 6 etc. Channels in sequence use similar frequency ranges so are often affected by the same problems.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »

Everythings connected up -- the Broadband works Ok wired -- the router finds the livebox --

What do you mean , "the router finds the Livebox"?
Have you followed all the instructions that came with both the Livebox and The Netgear Adaptor?
Orange recommend that you set the Netgear up using Windows not the Netgear setup.

http://tinyurl.com/2lvvsa

The WEP code, when you need it is on a sticker at the bottom of your Livebox, write it down and keep by your computer or you may have to keep getting it until the setup is right.

dave

anything