Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AGV Update Alway requires Re-boot  (Read 11556 times)

canon

• Reg Member
AGV Update Alway requires Re-boot
« on: November 04, 2007, 02:14:37 PM »

Hi,
During the last few days I've noticed that Grisoft AGV Pro antivirus updates always require the PC to be re-booted. In the past the installation usually happened automatically without any re-boot.
Anyone else seeing this, or has something changed on my PC that I don't know about?
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: AGV Update Alway requires Re-boot
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:03:24 PM »

I havent had to reboot my PC for any AVG updates in several weeks.

I was beginning to wonder if mine was up to date but Ive just checked and it says it is.
(269.15.21/1109 - released 4/11/2007)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »

I've now put in a support request to Grisoft to ask them about this. Well see what they say.
Terry.

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »

mine updates every day and I never have to reboot

good luck with your enquiry, hope they sort it for you

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »

Mine's updating normally too.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »

What operating system are you running, Canon?
Chris

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:02:13 PM »

Hi,
I think the problem is solved; I just need a new update to check it, but I'm sure it's ok now.
Grisoft were very quick on their support (at the weekend too), and replied within about 2.5 hours.
BTW, you only get support if you pay for the Pro licence.
The answer was that one of the setting in the Update Manager had got changed in some way -

"Please let us inform you that this issue is probably caused by the settings of the "Update Manager" component.
Please open the mentioned component from the AVG Control Center by double-click. There should be the following settings:
Update immediately
(If computer restart is required)
- Require confirmation from the user
- If your settings are any different, please modify them to these"

When you send a support request from the program, various log files are sent to 29Mb in all - it went at 405kbps which I thought was very good (sync at 448)!
Thanks for all the replies, at least I've learnt something.
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »

>> and replied within about 2.5 hours.

Thats pretty good and Im impressed. :)

Im only using the freebie version though. 
Although Ive put AVG or Avast on others PCs, this is the first time Ive used it on one of my own (My normal AV subscription ran out a last month).

Btw I put on a "trial" version of NAV 2007 first...  it lasted all of about 48 hours :(

Theres still a couple of things I dont particulary like about AVG either which I cant seem to change. 
Damn all I want is an AV prog that isnt too heavy on processing... doesnt check my outgoing mail and imprint a "checked by" message on it.
AND will allow me to say "YES I know you dont like that file - BUT I want to keep it and it is ok.... so please stop trying to send it into quarantine every damn day" 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »

Kitz
Damn all I want is an AV prog that isn't too heavy on processing... doesn't check my outgoing mail and imprint a "checked by" message on it.
AND will allow me to say "YES I know you don't like that file - BUT I want to keep it and it is ok.... so please stop trying to send it into quarantine every damn day"
I think AGV Pro does most of that except the last item, at least I can't find a way of doing it.
Terry.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 11:35:09 AM »

In AVG freebie, if you click on the wee systray icon, then when the control panel opens, right click on the e-mail scanner>properties>configure and in there take the check marks out of both "scan outward mail" and "certify mail".

If you want to keep a file that it persists in putting into quarantine, or highlighting in some way, let it do that and then when the scan result box is open and showing that file as having been dealt with in some way, press F3 key and a dialogue will open in which you can tell AVG to ignore that file in future.

Hope that helps.  :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »

If you want to keep a file that it persists in putting into quarantine, or highlighting in some way, let it do that and then when the scan result box is open and showing that file as having been dealt with in some way, press F3 key and a dialogue will open in which you can tell AVG to ignore that file in future.

Hope that helps.  :)

Definitely - I never knew that! Is that documented anywhere or just a little 'easter-egg'?
Chris

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 01:03:26 PM »

Hi, Mr. Chris, I read that on the AVG forum at some time, but am not sure of exactly when. Certainly, I have never seen it on any Grisoft help pages/faqs etc., and of course the freebie version does not offer any official support at all

But I do know that it works as I was getting a little fed up with the info. reports about changes to certain kernel files after I installed Windows updates and/or patches and so had a wee trawl through the AVG forum, and there it was............( I would show the link but can't find it again)..............and I have used the ploy to good effect.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »

I should say, just to clarify the above, that on subsequent scans, AVG will scan the files concerned, but will ignore that which it previously thought suspicious. Any new threats contained in the files will be picked up and dealt with.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »

nks for that tufted - email sorted didnt see that setting hidden in there. :)

However I dont appear to be able to get this to work.
Chris did it work for you? (wondering if its cause its the free edition).

When the warning comes up, pressing F3 does nothing.  The file is "ignored" but it wont let me access it - (which seems a bit stupid - why have an ignore feature if it still stops access?)

Ive just done a search and it seems that you can also go into the Test center and press F3 from there.. but doing that just tells me "no threats detected".

TBH Ive got several files that I wish to keep and am getting a wee bit annoyed that AVG keeps flagging these up everytime I open the folder or it does its daily scan. :(
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »

Just tried it with the EICAR test file on AVG Free.

No luck, F3 seems to do nothing I'm afraid to report :(
Chris
Pages: [1] 2

anything