Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Openreach VDSL2 modem for FTTC (ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B)  (Read 59306 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire

BT Openreach is apparently using a second model of VDSL2 modem for its FTTC service.

The main model in use is the Huawei HG612, a device based on the Broadcom 6368 System on Chip.

The lesser known model is the B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B, manufactured by ECI of Israel.

'UKlad' has discovered that it uses the Lantiq VRX268 chipset (see his message below).

To date there are few first hand sightings of the ECI in the wild.

Back in December, one ECI user was spotted on TBB [1]. Since then, two more users have surfaced on the BT forums. [2]

Another ECI user, Josh Shepherd, has just posted on the TalkTalk forums.[3]   Josh has also posted a photo of the boiler plate label on the ECI model. [4]

The ECI model is illustrated by photographs in an BT Openreach publication. The document also describes the LEDs on the modems and their meaning. [5]

A page of photos from that Openreach document showing the two modems side-by-side, is attached.

cheers, a

[1] http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4071309-new-modem.html
[2] http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-Option2-Only-11400Kbps-down-amp-532k-up/m-p/365717
[3] http://talktalkmembers.net/forums/showpost.php?p=765462&postcount=19
[4] http://twitter.com/#!/Josh_Shep/status/159214668982927361/photo/1
[5] http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/../FTTCP%20TWG%2029%20September%202010%20slides%20issue1.pdf

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:24:45 AM by asbokid »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
Re: BT Openreach VDSL2 modem for FTTC (ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:29 AM »

Hi guys, just thought I'd post on here as I am the guy with the ECI Modem on the Talk Talk Fourms. Awesome work so far, but I'm still having issues with my fibre connection  :( , if I was to purchase the Huawei HG612 would my connection stability improve? I know from the past with ADSL2+ my connection was rock solid with a broadcom chipset! (Netgear DGN2000) so would it be the same on FTTC? because as you pointed out the Huawei also has a broadcom.

Thanks for your time!

Josh

uklad

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »

Hi guys, just thought I'd post on here as I am the guy with the ECI Modem on the Talk Talk Fourms. Awesome work so far, but I'm still having issues with my fibre connection  :( , if I was to purchase the Huawei HG612 would my connection stability improve? I know from the past with ADSL2+ my connection was rock solid with a broadcom chipset! (Netgear DGN2000) so would it be the same on FTTC? because as you pointed out the Huawei also has a broadcom.

Thanks for your time!

Josh

My understanding is you receive a ECI modem because your CAB has ECI hardware in it, that said they are supposed to be compatible with each other, it worth pointing out my connection has given me a solid 40/10 since install with no drop outs at all, i think some people have been to quick to blame new ECI hardware for issues on their FTTC installs..

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »

Thanks for your time!

Josh

My understanding is you receive a ECI modem because your CAB has ECI hardware in it, that said they are supposed to be compatible with each other, it worth pointing out my connection has given me a solid 40/10 since install with no drop outs at all, i think some people have been to quick to blame new ECI hardware for issues on their FTTC installs..

So a Huawei would make no difference at all to stabilise my connection? or is it worth a shot?

Thanks

uklad

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »

Depends what the issue is can you elaborate...

Also I will put my tester on my line tonight I see what chipset my ECI cab is running

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »

Ok what's happening is my modem is loosing sync, it's been the same since install in early december. This is upsetting the DLM and decreasing my speeds. I noticed with ADSL2 on TalkTalk broadcom routers were very good at holding my connection. I think what's happening is my SNR margin is dropping below 6db, hence the disconnections. That's why I got the Netgear DGN2000 on ADSL2 because it would hold on.

If you could check what chipset in the cab is running that would be great, if It's broadcom I guess it's a good sign!

Thank you very much! :)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »

Yeah that does look very nice, I guess it's back to ADSL I go...

Such a shame for me, but I'll have to wait about 5 years for Virgin in my area so it's a long wait.

Orbixx

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

Morning all. Just had FTTC wired up this morning. Openreach left me one of these boxes. Anybody know what subnet it defaults to and what the default gateway might be? Are there any services exposed on the LAN port at all?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

It will be purely acting as a bridge, just like the Huawei HG612 modem that Openreach would install in areas with Huawei FTTC DSLAMs.

If you are able to configure your computer to establish a PPPoE connection, you should be able to connect it directly to the modem without any intervening router.

At present there are less ECI B-FOCuS modems installed, than installed Huawei HG612 modems, so we all are still learning. Any information that you can provide will be appreciated.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Orbixx

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »

Colour me surprised. I'd love to help, but my experience lacks in the department of JTAGing and whatnot, plus VDSL modems seem to be on the expensive side at the moment, so I don't fancy practicing now either ;)

I actually tried establishing a PPPoE link, but it didn't work. Will get in touch with my wholesaler and ask if their LNS is having trouble authenticating FTTC circuits.

I really don't understand why BT feel the need to lock these devices down, totally counter-productive regardless of how you look at it.

uklad

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »

Colour me surprised. I'd love to help, but my experience lacks in the department of JTAGing and whatnot, plus VDSL modems seem to be on the expensive side at the moment, so I don't fancy practicing now either ;)

I actually tried establishing a PPPoE link, but it didn't work. Will get in touch with my wholesaler and ask if their LNS is having trouble authenticating FTTC circuits.

I really don't understand why BT feel the need to lock these devices down, totally counter-productive regardless of how you look at it.

If they did not lock them down where would the fun be... anyway from a telecoms provider point of view ( like the one i work for) its essential you have clear demarcation points for support purposes, in this case it is the VDSL2 modem and from open reaches view their is no reason for you to be in there, I agree, but I take issue with these company's using free opensource software modifying it then packaging it up in a way that trys to stop people from reverse engineering it, when they should be releasing the source that comes under GPL anyway..

Orbixx

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »

Yeah, I can totally see that point of view, but this case is somewhat extreme.

At least allow some form of access to a small httpd that serves info on line statistics and whatnot.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

If they were simply to lock it down so you could not mess with stuff you did not need to then OK, however they provide a backdoor access to this equipment to do with whatever they like and once the private key gets out (as is likely eventually) so will anyone else be able to mess with your modem. That's why I would never today upgrade to FTTC unless I can install my own equipment which is locked down from the WAN side.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Orbixx

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »

Pretty sure you can use any equipment you like. I'm just being stubborn because I don't feel like buying a second VDSL modem :P

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »

Pretty sure you can use any equipment you like. I'm just being stubborn because I don't feel like buying a second VDSL modem :P

Yes I know you can but unless you plug back in the BT modem they charge you £130 for the privilege of contacting support!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2