Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ip profile or sync reporting to ISP from Btw 20cn  (Read 2515 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Ip profile or sync reporting to ISP from Btw 20cn
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »

I'm an aa.net.uk / AAISP user. In the past BTW used to report the current IP _Profile_ value in effect on my dsl line (20cn, adsl1) to AAISPs servers and the reported values appeared in AAISPs logs that the customer can take a peep at on the clueless.aa.net.uk web server.

Recently the logs show something more like the actual sync rate, certainly not the trad IP profile because the reported values are not quantised to say 1500 1750 2000 etc  and the numbers are higher eg. 1.97Mbps, 2261k.

Has something big changed in Btw land? They haven't got rid of the annoying quantisation steps, have they? I realise that this is just as much a question for AA who could have changed their own s/w. But the numbers don't seem to quite correspond to anything I recognise, they're not eg 1750 or 2000, nor are they the corresponding min sync rates in this case 2016 or 2272 iirc. Right now I should be on the ip profile rung of 1750 since true sync rate = 2080 [threshhold (= 2016 + 64] yet AAIsp report this as 1.97M which is too near to equivalent sync rate of 2272, would be near top of band not near bottom.

Have BTW done anything noticeable in sw terms?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Ip profile or sync reporting to ISP from Btw 20cn
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »

Hi Weaver,

Yes there have been some significant changes made depending upon which BT wholesale service you are using.
The older ADSL1 services still (I think) behave as they have always done.

ADSL2 (AKA 21CN) services use an IP Profile (AKA bRAS I hink) value of 88.2 % of the sync speed and this changes quite rapidly as sync speeds change.

VDSL2 services are more vague and are shrouded in mystery as BT are quite deliberately making their standard mandatory modems opaque, probably because they want to hide their sometimes horrible line performances.
There is much more on that subject in the Bald_Eagle1 contributions here.

Kind regards,
Walter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:15:19 AM »

Thanks Walter, there's a lot there that I didn't know about.

But seeing as I'm still stuck with 20CN for the foreseeable, then we agree that nothing is known about any major changes in the older systems and would be surprised (pleasantly) if there were.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

Hi again Weaver,

Yes I'm afraid that, like so many others, you are a mere pawn of the "Proud guardians of the nation's local access network" if you remember that outrageous claim from around 2009.

However if you have a 3G mobile mast with a clear line of sight you might like to experiment with a WiBE.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10440.0.html

Kind regards,
Walter

anything