Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TalkTalk Hammered  (Read 12915 times)

Bayardo

TalkTalk Hammered
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »

James Coney of This Is Money has given TalkTalk a fair old bashing

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2084849/JAMES-CONEY-TalkTalk-deaf-complaints.html

Well worth a read, especially the last paragraph:

"Ask me whether you should sign up to TalkTalk today, and there can only be one answer: ‘Absolutely not.’ This company’s promises are worthless. Talk is cheap, but becoming a TalkTalk customer can prove a very costly mistake indeed."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk Hammered
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »

I've been there,done that,still having counselling  ;D

Never again  :no:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »

TT have recently become the first (and only) ISP to LLU our local rural exchange. For a short while I was thinking of possibly migrating to them (for faster upload speeds mainly) but a little research quickly persuaded me against doing so. I've read in several places that they are the most complained-about UK ISP by far.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Not for me, but I have several customers who use them and are quite happy.

Provided nothing goes really badly wrong they seem to be fine.   :angel:
I've seen horror stories everywhere and there are only a very small number of ISP's who seem to be able to "get to grips" with them.
No names, no pack drill, but while I depend on broadband I'll stick within that group.  :-X

Bayardo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »

I do have to say that, during my 18 months with TalkTalk I never really had a much in the way of problems, apart from losing telephone service over a weekend. I reported it via their forum & it was sorted fairly quickly by BT. I did, a couple of times, call their "customer disservice" call centre and quickly decided never to do so again,
During the last few weeks with TT my internet speed was up & down like a trapeze artist, varying between 1247 & 15529 kb/s. So far, I've been getting fairly consistent speeds between 15000 & 15650 kb/s with ICUK.

The main reason I dumped TT was that I absolutely loathe their attitude towards and contempt for customers and their spying with Home whatever it is. Additonally I was not prepared to take the risk of them giving me the runaround, which is the only thing they do with any degree of efficiency

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »

Well I've been with them now for 3 years and have been quite happy. The only time I had a problem they got the BT OR engineer out and he fixed a problem in the cabinet down the road. Over the past year I have had rock solid 8meg on a line which should only give 6 meg and I have not renewed my contract just let it roll along so I could leave anytime I wanted. I dont call their customer (dis)service I use their forum for problems and the support from that has been fine. I dont use any of their kit and my router is locked up tight as the proverbial ducks whatsit so its pretty secure especially as I run Linux now.

I have been looking round to see how much I could get a fast link as we get FTTC this year here, not sure I'm going to pay £10 extra though for it with TT especially as they dont do an unlimited worldwide phone calls contract now.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »

Hi
quote from Roseway : TT have recently become the first (and only) ISP to LLU our local rural exchange. For a short while I was thinking of possibly migrating to them

ditto "a very short while " ;D
Regards Jeff
zen user

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39:12 AM »

James Coney of This Is Money has given TalkTalk a fair old bashing

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2084849/JAMES-CONEY-TalkTalk-deaf-complaints.html

Well worth a read, especially the last paragraph:

"Ask me whether you should sign up to TalkTalk today, and there can only be one answer: ‘Absolutely not.’ This company’s promises are worthless. Talk is cheap, but becoming a TalkTalk customer can prove a very costly mistake indeed."

"следовать за деньгами" (follow the money) as my late aunt Olga from the upper Volga used to say.

The ThisIsMoney website is owned by the Daily Mail General Trust (DMGT) which is controlled and majority-owned by the 4th Viscount Rothermere and his family..

When the Daily Mail group runs negative articles against a company, the smear is often part of a promotional package for a rival advertiser, or else the smear is meted out as punishment for not taking out enough advertising.

It will be interesting to see which rival to TalkTalk is going to get a blitz of adverts splashed across the DMGT's outlets, to coincidentally run parallel to the smear on TalkTalk.

Not that the Rothermeres need any encouragement to run a smear campaign. It's in their blood.  They are the human equivalent of the dung beetle. Never happier than when rolling in faeces.

Anyway, rant over.   As for TalkTalk, I can honestly say that I haven't had a better ISP than TalkTalk!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:33:24 PM by asbokid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »

TBH I am surprised that theyve only brought this up now. 
Surely, this is old news and it was last year that they retained the OFCOM wooden spoon award.

About 5 years ago, they were without doubt the worst ISP out there and I wouldnt have touched them with a barge pole. 
When they first went into the ISP + telecom industry, there were way tooo many problems and many users were without phones for weeks and broadband for even longer. 
They also became infamous for slamming users broadband without MAC key or permission and using door to door salespeople who didnt have a clue about adsl and who would say anything to get a sale leaving the customer to pick up the pieces later.

To be fair though, they DO seem to have tightened up their act a bit, and whilst there may indeed be many better ISPs out there, IMHO these days they arent anywhere near as bad as they were 5 years ago.

Although I havent been there for a while so cant comment as of late, but they did  have some very dedicated support staff on their own forums who were approachable if you ran into problems and do their best to help.. rather than having to face their telephone support, which IS where Ive had some of the most ridiculous and worst support that Ive ever had when contacting ISPs on behalf of other users.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:23:11 AM »

Does TT still have Thuderclap Newmans 'Something in the air' as music while you are waiting in the queue to be connected to a c/s representative  ;D

It use to send Sue up the wall  :shoot:  ;D

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

TT have recently become the first (and only) ISP to LLU our local rural exchange. For a short while I was thinking of possibly migrating to them (for faster upload speeds mainly) but a little research quickly persuaded me against doing so. I've read in several places that they are the most complained-about UK ISP by far.

They did mine ages ago, I managed to resist then Sky came along :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »

I have been with TalkTalk for just over four and a half years.

As forum regulars are quite familiar with this cat's knowledge and technical ability, I will let them draw their own conclusions of my opinion of the CP;)  :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

covlad1987

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »

im wondering why i went back to talktalk i mean both sky o2 and talktalk are limited to what thay can see and do with there fibre optic if i knew that i would have gone back to bt

huwwatkins

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »

Just use a talktalk reseller!

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 06:37:39 AM »

Just use a talktalk reseller!
Uno something, that is a really good plan  ;)   :lol:
Pages: [1] 2

anything