Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Baffling cabinet issue.  (Read 11527 times)

Pauli363

Re: Baffling cabinet issue.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »

not much use at the moment to be fair

flipdee

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »

The Post-office option only works as a "easy escape route" if you don't order phone and fttc service together (they use talk talk wholesale and this wouldn't be good and the dsl checker wouldn't work) also you'd be tied into a new contract which you'd have to argue your way out of if this otherwise, if you had money to burn however you could order an fttc service from pulse8 once the dsl checker shows availability just in-case something else breaks, or at very least order an 80/20 service from a provider which still uses engineer installs.
Obviously Pauli363 has had to go to extreme lengths to attempt to get this problem resolved.
I really really hope for his sake the dsl checker updates correctly and that'll be the end of it.
What concerns me about his particular problem is if this has happened to him, surely there are others in the same boat (most likely in Northern Ireland) because of the nature of the copper re-arrangement.
With all this talk about separating BT, this particular problem REALLY exposes how a non-customer facing network supplier can make a complete hash of something and it's nearly impossible to resolve.

NIGHTMARE
Fair play to you Pauli363 for perservering this far!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:53:46 PM by flipdee »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:36 PM »

If BT separate, it'll be because it wants to. Openreach already reports the highest profits in the BT Group and wasn't there talk of palming off GS anyway?

Outcome... Paul (and all the LLU operators) will be in the same position because they'll still own the copper network and answer to no one :)

I'm just waiting for the announcement that the public purse will be involved in a restructure... coz it'll be in our interests init :P

Pauli363

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »

The Post-office option only works as a "easy escape route" if you don't order phone and fttc service together (they use talk talk wholesale and this wouldn't be good and the dsl checker wouldn't work) also you'd be tied into a new contract which you'd have to argue your way out of if this otherwise, if you had money to burn however you could order an fttc service from pulse8 once the dsl checker shows availability just in-case something else breaks, or at very least order an 80/20 service from a provider which still uses engineer installs.
Obviously Pauli363 has had to go to extreme lengths to attempt to get this problem resolved.
I really really hope for his sake the dsl checker updates correctly and that'll be the end of it.
What concerns me about his particular problem is if this has happened to him, surely there are others in the same boat (most likely in Northern Ireland) because of the nature of the copper re-arrangement.
With all this talk about separating BT, this particular problem REALLY exposes how a non-customer facing network supplier can make a complete hash of something and it's nearly impossible to resolve.

NIGHTMARE
Fair play to you Pauli363 for perservering this far!

Thanks Flipdee.  Its out of necessity as much as anything else given it is really impacting on my ability to work effectively from home.
You are correct though, that the unaccountability is at the root of this.  I can understand mistakes are made, it happens in all walks of life.  But you usually have a method of addressing this, and hopefully get a resolution.  There is a clear issue regarding the relationship between the providers and Openreach that has been really exposed here.
What is really astonishing, is that not only are Talktalk (in this case) not able to get BTOR to act, they are in reality not even able to extract a reason as to how or why the issue happened, or even why BTOR are steadfastly refusing to deal with it.  That is the scariest thing.
The provider then turns to the end user (me) saying he can do no more.  I then refer it to the Communications Ombudsman, who then informs me he cannot take action because they see it ultimately as Openreachs problem and not Talktalks and their brief does not cover Openreach! 
It seems this organisation is untouchable.

I'm still watching the dsl checker but there has been no change now in over a day unfortunately.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »

I certainly don't want to push you to change CP but, in the context of how can anyone get through to the correct division of the BT Group, A&A will use the English Courts of Law once all other avenues have been exhausted.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Pauli363

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »

Yes, I've heard they are the stormtroopers when all hope is lost. :)
Cost is obviously a factor, but ultimately if they are successful it will be an option I will have to look at closely.

Pauli363

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »

Well, you'll never believe it...

Sorted!!!!

As of this morning I am registering 80/20 from Cabinet 19!

To say I am ecstatic is an understatement. 6 months of pain to get here.

So after all that how did it happen? Well, getting that new line in certainly helped. I then contacted the stormtroopers at AAISP as a few had suggested, and within a week they had it addressed. I have been advised that it was a records issue and contact was made from AA to BTW who in turn contacted Openreach and got the thing sorted. I got an email this am, and by 11.am the DSL checker was showing a full 80/20 service from the new Cabinet 19. I had actually got to the point of snarling at that cabinet each day as I drove past it. A painful and cruel reminder of what I was missing with its big coloured "Fast Broadband now available" poster on front!!

So what can I say? A massive thank you to AAISP. I won't name the chap who helped but he is a superstar. I am now in the process of changing service to AA. They are a bit more expensive, but if this is the level of service provided, it will be money well spent.

Lesson learnt. Never give up. It seemed that I would never get this addressed, but if you escalate things methodically and work through your options you will get there. In the meantime, I have contacted the Ombudsman again re shambolic Talktalk, and I am not resting until they take action over the nightmare they put me through with this.

So hopefully in a few weeks Ill be all fibred up again at hitherto unseen speeds!

Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Your advice has been very helpful and I will keep coming back for hints and tips.

Good luck.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »

Yet another success story. :thumbs: A "purrfect" result.  :)

(Although I have never made use of their service, I always recommend A&A when "things get difficult".)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Pauli363

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 08:16:43 PM »

Yes, I'm still trying to sort out pricing with them and whether I need to keep my existing line rental going with the post office, or whether they can move the line over.  Its an expensive service, but they have excelled in this instance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]