Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AV/High CPU usage  (Read 6301 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
AV/High CPU usage
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »

I have McAfee Security Center installed and it always seems to show high cpu usage...on this capture 65000k,but often around 100,000k

It has been reported to McAfee support by many users,but McAfee don't seem to be able to sort it.

As my subscription ends April I wondered what others use and what cpu usage other AV software uses.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: AV/High CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »

That's memory usage, not CPU usage (you probably knew that really :) ).

Up to 100 MB doesn't really sound excessive to me, unless you're very short of memory. Doing the job it does, it probably has to cache a lot of data in memory.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »

Hi Eric  :)

It seems to fluctuate quite a lot,it does seem to have bearing on cpu,the higher the mcshield.exe the higher the cpu usage shows on the second processor core..sometime after startup it will be around 32/33% other times it will be 53/55%

Re memory I have 2GB installed and an Intel Pentium 2.13 dual core processor

What does svchost.exe do...there seems to be a lot of entries under that heading..?...is just the general running of the system?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:52:05 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »

I'm the wrong person to ask of course, but it looks as though this might explain: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »

Thanks Eric,very interesting reading  :help:  ;D

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »

The memory usage will be related to the scan settings enabled by the user and if any are in use.
It could also be the case that the program is utilising memory and not releasing it back to Windows or is just "leaking" the memory.
Memory leaks can be resolved by rebooting.

You could always try Avast (Free version) before your subscription is due for renewal.

exo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:45 AM »

The memory usage will be related to the scan settings enabled by the user and if any are in use.
It could also be the case that the program is utilising memory and not releasing it back to Windows or is just "leaking" the memory.
Memory leaks can be resolved by rebooting.

You could always try Avast (Free version) before your subscription is due for renewal.

exo

Hi Exo  :)

McAfee did have a memory leak problem a few months back but a software update seemed to cure it.

Re Avast...what do others run in tandem with it/what is needed.I do have Malwarebytes free version installed as well as MSC.Is windows firewall acceptable as the firewall option or do you need something better?

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »

Unc ...  I use Microsoft Essentials   ...  Windows own firewall   ....  I run Malwarebytes frequently -   ....   I've not had any 'disasters'   .....   (yet !  ;D )

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »

Hi Kate  :flower:

Thanks for that,its another that could come into consideration.

My McAfee subscription expires 20th April but I am hoping to get a laptop before next winter(probably wait for W8 to come out),so thought I would try one of the free ones for a few months .

I have been using MSC since I got my pc in April 2007,originally it came with 3 years free courtesy of Dell and the last 2 years I have paid for a subscription

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »

Avast free edition.........anti-virus/malware only, no firewall.......will and does run very happily alongside Malwarebytes free edition, which is of course an on-demand scanner.

I have these two and the real time protection from Avast coupled with a manual scan now and then by Malwarebytes is a very good combination.

The built in Vista firewall with it's two way protection will work fine alongside Avast.....and is robust enough unless you are a visitor to dodgy sites.
Some free firewalls (Comodo/ZoneAlarm/OnlineArmor as examples) have been known to conflict with Avast.......I use the free Outpost firewall which is light, easy to configure, reasonably secure and lives happily with Avast.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »

Thanks TD  :)

As McAfee has given me little trouble over 5 years I am wondering if I am brave enough to try and remove it and install something else for fear of upsetting my set up,yet I don't fancy paying for another years subscription... :hmm:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

Removing McAfee safely is a three stage affair..........deactivate your licence number on the McAfee website, uninstall the program using the Vista built in "add or remove program" command ( or whatever it is called in Vista), run the McAfee removal tool.

Full instructions for that here ..:- http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Then reboot...install Avast...reboot and away you go.

Done properly that will not upset your system and you will not lose any data.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:45 AM »

Thanks TD,have bookmarked your link as I still have 3 months left on my subscription  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »

:thumbs: