Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A new Printer  (Read 5317 times)

jazz

• Reg Member
A new Printer
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

I'm looking for a new printer.  I use Windows XP on my desktop Dell (Dimension 4700) computer and have a Dell A920 All in one printer that was part of the original package.  It has now stopped printing blue so I'm looking to replace rather than try to repair.  I would welcome any recommendations (or warnings!) about a possible replacement machine.

The printer is for home use - I only print about 50 A4 sheets a month (60% in black and white and 40% in colour).  I never print photographs.  I do occasionally photocopy and scan using the All in One facility so I want to keep this.

My Wife has a laptop running Windows Vista and if she wants to print anything it goes on a stick and gets printed via my computer so wi-fi printer may be useful but not essential.

I want a budget level printer that will be reasonable quality and not too expensive for replacement ink cartridges (Dell is very dear for this but I've always bought Lexmark cartridges which are compatible and better value).

Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome - Thanks   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: A new Printer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »

I have been using an HP Photosmart C4480 all in one for 2 years now,cost £26 for Comet,very,very happy with it.Never had any problems and for £26 what more do you want,prints,copies,scans.Replaced the inks once.
Obviously  mine is no longer made,but I'm sure there will be a similar model available.

Dell inks,along with Lexmark are so expensive

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »

I had bad experience with an Epson which I used infrequently. Initially great quality, but then problems started.
Local Epson repair shop told me that the print heads dry out if not used daily, and it's not economical to replace them. I used the printer between weekly and monthly. Of course, maybe they've improved since then.
The Epson ink cartridges did not include a print head, unlike the old HP that I had, where the cartridge includes the print head.
Also, when the Epson ran out of a coloured ink it refused to print at all. Even though the document only needed black ink. Stupid Epson.

(After that I bought an HP monochome Laseret - great, except that HP abandoned driver support after Vista.
And Microsoft's Win7 upgrade checker lied when it told me that drivers were available).

Cheers,
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »

After that I bought an HP monochome Laseret - great, except that HP abandoned driver support after Vista.
And Microsoft's Win7 upgrade checker lied when it told me that drivers were available
I've been amazed at what antique HP printers are supported "out of the box" by W7, even the 64-bit edition that I run.
What model wasn't actually supported?
(my default W7x64 printer is a Laserjet 6P on a parallel port!)

I'm looking for a new printer. 
Jazz, depending on space constraints why not keep the existing printer and use it just as a scanner, I did that for ages with an old Lexmark I had, eventually acquiring a cast-off Xerox flatbed that fits in better.
As for printing, if you don't do much and no photos I'd say go laser.
Personally I like Samsung and they have fairly cheap colour laser printers.
BUT I'd also say look again at colour - do you really need it?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:20:17 PM by HPsauce »

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »

I've been amazed at what antique HP printers are supported "out of the box" by W7, even the 64-bit edition that I run.
What model wasn't actually supported?

Laserjet 1010. http://tinyurl.com/7555dlw
You can find posts all over the web about the problem - with "solutions" too.
Whilst trying one of the "solutions" I managed to destroy my (old original) toner cartridge - the printer started "printing", but didn't stop when the paper ran out. After that it always printed ghost images until I replaced the toner. And was so annoyed with HP that I bought non-HP toner - perfect.

I finally managed to get it working reasonably using XP drivers.
Or else I create stuff as .pdf, and fire up a virtual XP machine and print from there.

Cheers,
Peter

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions and comments folks.  I am quite interested in the HP route but will look at Samsung laser too.  I only use the printer on occasional days and not generally for more than one or two pages of anything at a time.  Thanks again - the comments are appreciated.  :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »

You may already have tried this, but will the old printer work using a Vista driver - sometimes works.

Colin

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »

I've decided to get an HP Ink Jet and ordered the basic  HP DeskJet 3050A. At less than £35 from Amazon it's not much more expensive than a set of cartridges and I lose very little if it doesn't work out ok for me.  In the meanwhile I'll have to give some thought to whether my desktop computer needs renewing!!  Thanks for the help folks.  I'll let you know how I get on.  :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »

Ordered the printer Saturday afternoon from Amazon, notified that it had been shipped on Sunday afternoon and it was delivered Monday afternoon.  What great service - and all on a no charge for delivery basis.

The printer was straightforward to set up.  It included two cartridges, USB cable (if required) and a carry bag (presumably with student users in mind).  It is slightly noisy when it starts up but quality is very good for the price and the printing is high quality.  The whole thing has cost me less than two new cartridges cost for my old printer! Very pleased so far!  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

Nice one Jazz  :)

It really is madness that you can buy the printer for little more(and in some cases)less than the ink cartridges.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »

Except the cartridges with a new printer are often "starter" versions; half full or less.....  :-X