Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: UK Online FUP  (Read 17701 times)

UK Online FUP
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:56:50 AM »

I'm going to make a concerted effort in November to see if I can trigger this, so we have some idea what the current "limits" of the service are.

I'm at about 30GB now (since yesterday) which sounds quite impressive but I know I'll struggle to keep up with the downloads (unrar, re-encode etc etc).

Most I have ever done was on Be and that was about 230GB in a month (the rest of the months were well below 50GB) so I'll try for 250GB and see if that attracts attention. Assuming of course I can actually find 250GB of "stuff" which I want :D

Oh and if anyone is wondering what the "stuff" is, then its mainly old BBC programmes (comedy usually) which the license fee completely funded. I do not view it as my problem if the BBC are so commercially inept that they fund 100% of a programme and then hand the copyright to their "luvvie" friends for nothing. Others may differ in their opinion but mine is that if we were forced to pay for the programme via a compulsory license fee then we have the moral right to "copy" that programme for free. Strangely I have not really found much in the way of ITV programmes which I would choose to download even if they were legal and free :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: UK Online FUP
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »

only just seen this cause Ive been awol..   

But funny enough Ive very recently spoken to UKO in respect of something similar and I got some info out of the guy regarding their FUP.  Since Im still catching up on stuff on here and to save me time - I'll just paste in the same info from elsewhere

He wouldnt quote any figures but it is entirely on how your adsl is
provisioned (BTIPstream + LLU are same price now).  He says that on some
exchanges users can do basically what they like, but if you are on
IPStream... or one of their busier (perhaps read sky?) dslams then your
usage would be flagged up much sooner.

He says they def have their own allocation of ports on the sky equip (dslams)
but share the same "backbone" - therefore Im assuming the equiv of BT VPs
where contention could kick in if you had a pile of sky heavies also using
that same backhaul, in the same way that all ISPs on the BT VPs are
affected?...  So to stop too much natural contention kicking in for all (sky
and UKO) they will target the heavier users on that particular exchange?
He couldnt elaborate much further as it varies from exchange to exchange he
said - so the last bit is speculation on my part. 

He did say that on some
of their exchanges users get away with many hundreds of GBs per month and
they're not bothered at all..  but they could contact someone else on a
"busy exchange" who does a few hundred.

Regarding IPStream - he wasnt sure/didnt know at what stage things happened.

whilst on I also asked if theyd put me on one of the 22Mb accounts and I'd migrate if they would - but no can do and they wouldnt bite :(
They did tell me that their system reckons I could get up to 17Mb - yeah right on a 7dB atten line  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 12:12:30 PM »

Looks like you're stuck with a max of 16Mbps then kitz. Do remember that the 16Mbps is supposedly contended at a maximum of 20:1, while the 22Mbps is still a maximum of 33:1. Contention is noticeable here at peak times but it doesn't appear to be a problem - I do all my downloads during office hours anyway when there is no noticeable contention.

I've found 28 series of Last Of The Summer Wine on usenet (already DivX'd) so that ought to total about 80GB (200+ epsiodes x 300MB) which helps :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »

>> Looks like you're stuck with a max of 16Mbps then kitz.

Indeed :/ 
The problem being I dont fancy tying myself up with a years contract for 16Mbps.... just incase Be/o2 etc decide that they may come here after all.

TBH right now I am happy with the connection Ive got.  Since Im on "20:1" the exchange seems to be playing ball and most of the time I get a steady 6.5 - 7Mbps.  I dont use p2p and Im on a legacy account thats no longer available, but suits my usage.

Actually I just had another thought - this exchange has always been bad for contention.  That sky dslam seemed to fill up pretty quick... too damn quick!  I wonder if a pile of heavies went over there and thats partially why the BTw dslam is now behaving?

>> I've found 28 series of Last Of The Summer Wine on usenet

lol and when are you going to find the time to sit down and watch all those :D
heh seriously though whats the total so far?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »

Yeah I know but a lot of the 1970s comedy stuff is just disappearing from what the BBC laughingly call "archives", so when I see something that is (very) reasonable video quality I tend to grab it all, regardless of whether it'll be watched or not. We have 2TB of RAID5 storage here (3TB physical, so 2TB actual RAID5 storage) which is simply used for media, backups, family photos/videos so we're not likely to run short any time soon :)

I think Newsleecher is indicating 36GB since 31 Oct 07 - I don't bother tracking other usage actively as it's only likely to be 20GB or so.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »

55GB now and struggling to download anything I actually want and don't already have. Most of the Last Of The Summer Wine episodes had expired but as its usenet then what goes around comes (back) around soon enough :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »

>> 55GB now and struggling to download anything I actually want
 :D  That wouldnt stop some.
Can you remember a few years back on AG someone saying they downloaded practically everything - then transferred it over to other media.  Most of the time it then sat there doing nothing.

>> as its usenet then what goes around

Yeah sometimes one of the disadvantages of usenet.. that you may want something later but cant get it.
Possibly what prompted action of  the above :D
Suppose you could always "put in a request".
-----

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »

I've always found posting an appropriately worded request results in whatever you asked for being posted within one hour.

I don't believe we'll have usenet distribution of binaries in 5 years. I am in fact rather worried (not on copyright stuff) as to what will be permitted in 5 years. Then again I'm a cynic :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:23:51 AM »

>> I don't believe we'll have usenet distribution of binaries in 5 years

p2p tends to get the most attention and nntp seems majorly have been left alone, once the authorities find a way in to stop those companies hosting stuff on their servers, the future of binary newsgroups is bound to diminish. 
Then they'll probably get shifted somewhere like china, where the transatlantic link is sooo slow.

>> as to what will be permitted in 5 years.

State of the world isnt it - it seem quite ok for some young thugs to beyond the reach of the law, theres also so called freedom of speech...  and less civility.  But theres also the nanny state that seems to be cracking down in other areas.    But then again thats another topic  :-X
-----

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:19:13 PM »

63GB now, so I'm struggling to maintain 7GB/day. I don't think I'll manage 250GB in November. Makes me wonder how on earth I once downloaded 210GB in a month on Zen  ??? I guess more people are posting in (decent) divx/xvid format now rather than DVD (MPEG2) as they used to.

Thread digression approaching :P

Amusingly the UK govt looks like they are finally about to give us "fair use" rights - eg make a copy of a DVD for your own use. As part of this "deal" the UK will have to adopt the EU tariff on blank media*. Now either the govt are pretty clever (doubtful) or years behind the times (likely) as I don't know anyone now who copies CD to CD-R. They rip it to MP3/FLAC and dump that on a hard drive/music player/etc. Likewise who rips and burns a DVD when just about every "DVD" player built in the last 3 years understands MPEG4 (divx)? You can fit 3+ divx films on a DVD rather than just one DVD quality film.

*Basically it is (was would be more accurate) designed to compensate artists for assumed losses because for example you don't buy a second CD, you copy the first. I think we can all have a fairly good guess how much of the tariff goes to artists mmmm?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:35:14 PM »

>> Thread digression approaching Tongue

Indeed  :D

>> think we can all have a fairly good guess how much of the tariff goes to artists

Exactly!!!

[Sorry for short replies
One of those days where I could easily go into rant mode and trying to stop myself from doing so as I dont really have the time :D]
-----

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »

It has just occurred to me that it may not be the govt who are clever. It'll be the lobbyists. Music companies know that nobody bothers with using CD-Rs for writing music to* unless they've downloaded from a legal site, where they'll usually get WMA (with DRM) which can best be converted to MP3 by burning an audio CD and then ripping that.

Oh look they get paid for the download and the media it gets burned to.

Cynical? Moi? :)

*Yes you might do it with a CD player which understood MP3 - just fill up a data CD with MP3 tracks. Its not that common now - it was two or three years ago.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:50:46 PM by rizla »

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »

75GB.

Dear god there's a load of rubbish out there :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

hahah - youre failing miserably to download the internerd  :lol:
-----

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »

Here's some I downloaded earlier - a poor attempt I know but all divx'd so multiply by four for DVD sizes :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4