Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Babylon - again !  (Read 8055 times)

scottiesmum

Babylon - again !
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

Today I needed to use IE  ... a site I needed to access wouldn't open properly in Opera  ...   IE finally opened  ::) with Babylon on the opening page !!   I looked at the Manage Search Engines option, and it is not listed.  When I tired to get rid of the Babylon Search page by clicking on the little X  the whole of IE froze. I finally managed to close it all down ... reopened IE --Babylon back ... the only way I could get rid of it was to type the address of the site I wanted to access over the address of Babylon ....  do I need to do anything  ?    When I had FF  I had an IE Tab add-on.  I've looked at Opera and found LikeIE  ... but like (no pun intended) some others who have reviewed this extension, can't get it to work.  Can you advise me please.   The site in question is the only one that won't function in Opera, not a big loss, but could be inconvenient.  Many thanks.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Babylon - again !
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »

Have you tried when on the site/page you want ........right click>Edit site preferences>network>identify as IE,or Mask as IE

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

Will be back later re. Babylon.

On the question of sites not rendering properly in Opera, try this........

Open the offending site.......right click on an empty part of the page and from the menu that opens select "edit site preferences" ......when that opens go to the "network" tab and go to the bottom line....."browser identification"  it will probably read "Identify as Opera" use the wee arrow beside that and change to "masquerade as Firefox" and click ok and shut down menu.

Then...important...refresh the page.

Does it work ok now ?

OOooops, unkyUb beat me to it.. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »

OOooops, unkyUb beat me to it..  ;D

I only new that TD because many moons ago you told me  ;)  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

:-[ :-[   oops   ...  I missed something on the page in Opera ... I could still log on  ::)   but there is a lot of squiggley writing on part of the page (this took my attention away from the log on box)   ---    very sorry about that ...false alarm..

but Babylon is true  ... honest injun   ;D

Thank you Unc and TD  .... I quite enjoyed masquerading though  :D

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

Yes, CNet have always been famous for this sort of trick, and I agree with AdrianH........stay well away from them.

@ scottiesmum......Could I suggest that you download and install Babylon Uninstaller utility .....install and run it...fingers crossed  :fingers:

http://support.babylon.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=79

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

I can't recall using Cnet for downloads, I usually look for Filehippo downloads  ... but I must have overlooked something.

Thank you for the link TD, but I get a page, saying   'oops couldn't find the page you requested '  I'm slightly  nervous now about googling for Babylon removal tool and downloading something I shouldn't  ...  can you tell me the actual tool I need please  :)

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »

try revo uninstaller or appremover to shift babylon, they'll usually get pretty much anything. Oh, and don't forget to reset your browser's homepage when done :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

Thank you GJ.  :)

Just to finish off the saga ....  (I hope )

I have Revo installed, but the problem was that this Babylon thing wasn't obvious anywhere.   Add/Delete etc..didn't bring anything up.  However, I've spent a good couple of hours digging  ;D .... and  eventually up it popped cheekily !!  I eventually traced it to Firefox  !!!    did a little more digging and discovered other people were having the same problem; but there was a way around it.    .... Help ...restart FF without Add-ons   -   Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults... then Make Changes and Restart  ....  that did it  ....   :fingers: touch wood and whatever else it takes  :D Then had a lot of sorting out to do with missing extensions,  etc.... but all back now.     I've opened and closed Opera and FF several times and no sign of it.     I might venture to IE later on and if it's there you'll hear me shout over there  ;D

I've decided to keep Opera as the default and FF as standby .... for now    ;)     Chrome has gone for good   .....the non menu bar put me off   (PLEASE don't anyone say this is how to get  a menu bar  :D )

Many thanks for all the help.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »

I glad all appears to be well and that the dreaded Babylon has been banished........hopefully for ever.  :fingers:

Well done to you for sticking to the task... :clap2:

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

I was so intent on sorting it TD,  hubby came to check on me because I was so quiet  ...  said he thought  he'd gone deaf   :-X    ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

>>> because I was so quiet  <<<< obviously a very rare occurrence ....... :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats