Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Storm  (Read 4230 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Storm
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:06:14 AM »

Good morning, and I hope all are well.......especially Sue.. :flower:

We are currently enduring storm force winds here........and the leccy is fluctuating wildly.

If I disappear from view, that is the problem as it looks as though I may have to shut down.

Enjoy your day and stay anchored to the ground. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Storm
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:11:13 AM »

Hold on tightly, TD, and I hope it soon abates. :)
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:52:07 AM »

The house has been rattling all night and the gales here show no sign of stopping yet :'(   I see they are threatening blizzards for your area too TD, I hope they are wrong.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »

Take care TD.
Everyone else also. I have an amateur weather station in my front garden. The anemometer  is spinning like a helicopter. As I type this we are gusting to over 40mph, so it must be windy in TD country. :'( ???
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »

Still here... :fingers:

Despite the wind, it is so mild........the forecast blizzards are not here, although I believe there is plenty of snow only about seven mile up the road where it debouches from the valley onto the high moor.

All good fun.. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »

Stay safe TD  :)

Very windy and torrential rain here at present here  :no:

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »

Keep safe TD   :o   Do take care all.  Saw your forecast for today and it does look wild.  Batten down well.    Although wet here, extremely warm  and very calm.  Our forecast last night showed very high winds for the Brittany area and into the channel, so I expect the south of UK will be feeling it too.    Just all keep safe  :flower:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »

Storm has quitened to a mere gale.......and the leccy is stabilised... :clap2:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »

A mere gale eh? ;D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:10 PM »

Its been pretty rough here too and I must confess last night was a bit scary at times, so I can only imagine how bad it must be up there. 
Wind is still howling right now and Im not even going to attempt to venture out today despite it being dry.

Take care td and be safe.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »

They said it would die out here at midday ......... and it did thank goodness. 2 neighbours have lost new fences ( I did try to warn them about using 6x6 panels in slotted posts in an exposed location but they carried on ) guess they'll end up claiming for them.

More worrying was watching the telegraph pole that carrries our phone line swaying violently and causing the drop cable to go bar tight, the noises it made pulling on the house were amazing, my son was worried about the broadband going off, I looked at the pole and its proximity to my car ....... the car is now out of range.

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »

the car is now out of range.     Good idea Adrian  ....    when our hurricane kicked off at the end of December 1999,  pre-warned, we'd moved our cars down to the middle of vineyards  ...    good job too  ...  our roof  tiles pinged off the roof like HRT patches    :D power lines were down, sparking on the track  ....  trees went down like skittles  ...then the chimney came down   .... :o   then it decided to rain  - no tiles ..... water started spotting in the lounge ... I was shoving buckets and bowls all over the place   ....    hubby was  completely helpless  -  he had a broken collar bone.   I sympathise with anyone in  those high wind conditions -  gives me nightmare thinking about it.

Again, keep safe all ! :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:55:12 PM by scottiesmum »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

Can imagine and also have seen on the news just how bad it's been up north and in Scotland, been bad enough here in the sarf east with torrential rain and gale force winds.  Hope everyone is safe and sound...I hate this weather, scares the life out of me (not made of sterner stuff like our TD I'm afraid).

Glad you moved the car Adrian..better safe than sorry having seen some of the things that have happened with trees etc down.

Died down a bit after lunch even with blue sky showing but looking out of the window as I type now....dark grey skies and whistling wind...ugh....hope it's just passing over...sigh.

Take care all.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:55 PM »

Storm has quitened to a mere gale.......and the leccy is stabilised... :clap2:

:thumbs: :fingers:

Quite windy here at present and squally showers....A drop of something warm later on methinks.  ;)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »

We survived the night OK but had some very strong gusts mid-morning that took out about 20 feet of close-boarded fencing.
I think the wind changed direction and was very gusty.
Strange thing is that the rubbishy standard six-foot larch-lap panels between our garden and next doors all survived (with some movement); the failure was in a section of professionally built heavy-duty roadside fencing with very solid posts (2 of which broke).
Another longer length of the same type, but running at right-angles, was fine.

Fortunately it only adjoins (and landed in) an unmetalled trackway to a neighbours outbuilding that isn't normally used for vehicles (or any sort of access), and was totally empty.

guess they'll end up claiming for them.
Unlikely. Fences and gates (and hedges) are normally excluded from storm damage in insurance policies.
(I checked mine out of interest and I certainly can't claim)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:03:42 PM by HPsauce »
Pages: [1] 2