Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does anyone have Apple TV?  (Read 16719 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Does anyone have Apple TV?
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »

As per title... does anyone have apple tv and an ipod/ipad.... 

....and if so would they be willing to try and see if they can stream BBCiplayer and/or ITVplayer with it?

tyvm. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Does anyone have Apple TV?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »

There is much confusion about this, some saying it does, some saying it doesnt.
Apparently the ipad2 and iphone do, but the ipod doesnt - gawd knows why they didnt make it so, even though my ipod touch runs on OS 5..  and will support Airplay..
....they just havent made an app for airplay mirroring on the ipod touch.

Guess theres an app for this, but not for that!

* kitz is sad
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:54:23 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

I can see why there is so much confusion too.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay.html

With AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream what’s on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your HDTV and speakers via Apple TV.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »

Sorry that you're having to talk to yourself. :)  I'm afraid I've never owned anything by Apple, so I can't make any useful comment.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:12:23 AM »

Sorry Kitz, likewise, unable to help.

The 7LM household has considerable investment in Apple technology, but it is only a means to an end so that I can play around with 'app' development.  The 'touch is only really used as a games console, whilst my MAC  Mini desktop doesn't even have iTunes set up on it.  iTunes runs on a windows box to which the 'touch gets synced, whist the things that are connected to the TV & HiFi only run Linux.    Nobody would ever have guessed that the 'M' stands for 'Muddle'?   :D

Nevertheless, if there's any specific experiment I could conduct for you, involving a MAC Mini and an iPod Touch, feel free to ask... 

- 7LM

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:15:40 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »

No worries eric, I was just wondering if there was anyone that had one and could let me know for sure.   
The info was so confusing and the potential xmas pressie from my parents was Apple TV, but I wasnt sure if it would do what I wanted and didnt want to waste the $ if it wouldnt.

In the end I got the info from someone at Amazon reviews that it wouldnt work on the ipod touch - only the ipad2 or Iphone (despite being OS 5.0) :(

@ 7LM

What it is, is that I use my ipod touch a fair bit and I love it.   I also use it a lot to stream BBC i player, but the only thing is the size of the screen and I was looking for a way to view it on the TV.
I love being able to watch what I like when I like and the only tele I really watch is on demand and hence thought that Apple TV may be the ideal solution.

I used to use my lappy to stream bbc iplayer, but the lappy is now many years old and it dies after about 10 mins, so cant use that any more :(
I go in hosp next week and since I prolly wont be up to much for a few days after, I was looking for something now that I could use with the TV in my bedroom.

The only other thing I have really is my phone HTC Desire S - that can also stream i-player - another tiny screen, but I dont think you can hook that up either...
.... and of course the PC but it would HAVE to be wireless.

So if anyone knows if there is any other way I can stream stuff like iplayer to the TV I'd be grateful for suggestions :)

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:58:45 AM »

....  and now I am soooooo confused.

This is according to the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/12/iplayer_bbciplayer_iphone_android.html

BBC iPlayer iPhone app
The BBC iPlayer app for the iPhone and iPod touch puts all of the BBC’s national television channels and radio networks in your pocket. You can now watch live television channels and listen to live radio stations wherever you are.

/snip/

The app is compatible with Apple AirPlay. If you are running iOS5, you can connect your iPhone or iPod touch to Apple TV and watch your favourite programme on your television.

-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:13:03 PM »

What it is, is that I use my ipod touch a fair bit and I love it.
That I can understand, our 'touch actually belongs to my other half and I probably didn't do it justice in my description.  Suffice it to say that when the first one sadly broke a few weeks ago she went into severe withdrawal symptoms and we ended up taking advantage of late-night shopping to get a new one within a couple of days!  BTW, that involved as switch from 2nd generation to 4th generation, for which there's a very noticeable improvement in screen resolution.

I suspect the AppleTV would also be a nice piece of kit.  I'm not sure if it is a cousin of my MAC Mini, but that is also a gorgeous little device which just sits on a corner of the desk, totally silent and cool-running, and does everything I could ask of it.  In fact, although it was just meant to be a development box, I have strongly 'adopted' it as my favoured desktop machine these days for general web-browsing duties etc.

Everything I find about AppleTV, airplay and iPod touch seem to imply they ought to work together, though we all know that the only way to find out for sure these days is to try it out.  You're right to be diligent, but are these (negative) amazon reviews really convincing?

If you want another suggestion, I think some newer Blu-Ray players are also supposed to support WiFi and iPlayer.  But I'd have the same worries as with the Apple setup... whilst they may work admirably and do all that they claim, I'd take all claims with a pinch of salt until I got it out of the box and tried it for myself.

- 7LM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »

Thanks 7LM for the reply :)

>> 2nd generation to 4th generation

Yes I have a 4th gen and it is very clear - pressumably helped by the retina display.   However the screen is still tiny which is why it doesnt cut it for video really.

>>  AppleTV would also be a nice piece of kit.  I'm not sure if it is a cousin of my MAC Mini

My parents phoned about an hour ago, my brother has gone ahead and bought his and loves it and it apparently works (Same xmas pressie from the parents).  Big difference though is that he has an ipad2 which it is used with. 
He doesnt have a 4th gen ipod though with which he can test it for me to see if it work... and unfort there isnt going to be any way I can get over there with mine for quite a while to try and play.

>> You're right to be diligent, but are these (negative) amazon reviews really convincing?

Everything just seemed so conflicting when it came to the ipod though which is why I was holding back.  Ive spend ages trying to research it as I didnt want to waste $

I did however stumble across this thread during my travels and have posted in there...  bonus is just realised it can stream from my PC too via iTunes  ;D
So...  looks like I'll be getting one  :D

-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »

That looks very promising then  :fingers:

My experience with Apple has usually been that whereas other makers tend to exaggerate their equipment's abilities, Apple are often surprisingly modest.   I still half expect somebody to discover that the iPod touch has a secret full-size qwerty keyboard hidden inside. :D

Here's hoping that your recovery is swift, and that your new gadget eases the process.      :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Confirms that the ipod touch WILL without a doubt, 100% perfectly, is able to stream BBC iplayer  direct from an ipod touch 4th Generation using iOS 5.0 and Apple TV  :clap:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:10:15 PM by kitz »
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

Result! ;D
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »

:)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:45:28 AM »

I'm dead chuffed that it works, and the picture quality for streaming is excellent (I guess a decent internet connection helps with that bit).
So far I love it :)

Im also a bit chuffed cause I did a bit of haggling with Comet under their price guarantee and although they dont normally include Amazon, I got what I wanted in the end.  Plus I also stated the reason why I wanted it.. and implied that it would be going back if it didnt. They were actually very helpful and threw in a Belkin HDMI cable... and price matched something else I bought. :)

It did take a while to set up though..  the major problem was upgrading i-tunes believe it or not.... which took aaaages, and until I'd done that it couldnt seem to find my PC for network sharing.
-----

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »

:thumbs: :clap2:
Pages: [1] 2

anything