Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Linux Mint11 problem.  (Read 6319 times)

Ratae

Linux Mint11 problem.
« on: December 28, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »

Ok guys...I'm back with some more problems. ???

So, I've just this week installed Mint 11 on an old Toshiba laptop. I decided to put Mint on it because I have Ubuntu 10.04 on a partition on my netbook, and I read somewhere that Mint is very similar.

The installation ran ok (eventually), and once loaded, it found my w/less and connected. The w/less icon shows as connected to my SSID anyway.

However...when I click on the Firefox icon to connect, I get a message "Firefox can't find the server at."

Does this mean that Mint has a dedicated server, and if so, why can't FF connect to it?

All help appreciated!
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Linux Mint11 problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "when I click on the Firefox icon to connect,..." but if it just means that you can't connect to web sites, then that's presumably because the wireless interface isn't working. You could check by temporarily connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet cable, and if that works then you need to configure the wireless interface. I believe that Mint has a utility for doing that.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "when I click on the Firefox icon to connect,..." but if it just means that you can't connect to web sites, then that's presumably because the wireless interface isn't working. You could check by temporarily connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet cable, and if that works then you need to configure the wireless interface. I believe that Mint has a utility for doing that.

Ok Eric.... I assumed that that the Firefox link in the 'Applications' > 'Internet' menu would connect me to the FF homepage, so that's what I tried.

Anyway...I shall try connecting by ethernet and let you know what happens!  :shrug2:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »

That Firefox link is just to start Firefox, but it will be configured by default to open its defined home page, which is probably the Mint website in this case. So it does seem to be the case that your wireless interface isn't working.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

That Firefox link is just to start Firefox, but it will be configured by default to open its defined home page, which is probably the Mint website in this case. So it does seem to be the case that your wireless interface isn't working.

It does seem so Eric. I've just connected by ethernet, and it still doesn't connect to the internet, so it isn't just the w/less interface that isn't working!  :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »

Just to be clear, did you reboot the laptop after connecting the ethernet cable? You would need to do that so that the laptop picked up a proper IP address from the router. If you did, and it still doesn't work, then it looks as though your ethernet interface isn't working either. I don't know how you configure these interfaces in Mint, but there should (I think) be utility programs for doing it.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »

Just to be clear, did you reboot the laptop after connecting the ethernet cable? You would need to do that so that the laptop picked up a proper IP address from the router. If you did, and it still doesn't work, then it looks as though your ethernet interface isn't working either. I don't know how you configure these interfaces in Mint, but there should (I think) be utility programs for doing it.

Ah no!.... I didn't reboot the laptop, only the router. I'll try again tomorrow Eric!

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

In addition to Roseway's comments.It sounds like the interface has been given a static ip address. That would be why the laptop is showing as connected.
Ratae, you need to configure your laptop connection with a dynamic ip address. The router should be able to supply that for you. If not you will need to dive in to the router settings and set it up to give out ip addresses. Usually they are set up as default.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Ratae

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »

In addition to Roseway's comments.It sounds like the interface has been given a static ip address. That would be why the laptop is showing as connected.
Ratae, you need to configure your laptop connection with a dynamic ip address. The router should be able to supply that for you. If not you will need to dive in to the router settings and set it up to give out ip addresses. Usually they are set up as default

Hi....the w/less router delivers dynamic ip addresses to all three of my windows laptops so I guess that it is the default setting.

Presumably then, it's the Mint interface that needs configuring. Can someone tell me where and how please!

Thanks to each for the help!

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »

I've not played with mint for a long time, and I think it has changed dramatically. So I don't know how to change the network settings. Sorry.
Can you tell us what flavour of Linux it is based on these days?

Ratae

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »

I've not played with mint for a long time, and I think it has changed dramatically. So I don't know how to change the network settings. Sorry.
Can you tell us what flavour of Linux it is based on these days?

Surfer..... I'll wait for Eric to tell us that, 'cos it could be strawberry flavour for all I know!  :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »

;D

As far as I know, the regular Mint is based on Ubuntu, but they also do a Debian-based version.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »

Ok fellas, I had a cunning plan!  ::)

So, I switched on my netbook and booted with the Ubuntu partition. Found the w/less network settings window, and it's exactly the same window in Linux mint. So I copied the ubuntu settings for my router into the Mint laptop.

:( ... Still doesn't work!

The only thing that I've left to try, is rebooting the laptop with the ethernet connected. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid that it's goodbye to Linux Mint! 

Ratae

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »

Well guys...I think that I've rolled the dice for the last time with Mint.  :'(

Yup.....connected the lappy and router with the ethernet cable, and then rebooted them both. Still didn't connect to the damned internet!

I went back to w/less and checked the network settings.

"Active Network Connections"

Interface .. 802.11 WiFi (WLan0)

All of the following fields are filled in correctly.

Hardware

Driver

Speed

Security

IPV4

IP Address

Broadcast Address

Subnet Mask

So.... stumped! ???

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »

Just to determine the wireless interface is getting a proper ip address could you tell us if it is in the range of

192.168.something.something.

it maybe 10.*.*.*

if it's 127.0.0.1 then it is not from the router. It is the local network within laptop system.

It's quite safe to display the ip address as long as it's not an ip address from the internet.
Pages: [1] 2