Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Opera .....wand ?  (Read 12734 times)

scottiesmum

Opera .....wand ?
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:21 AM »

Well,  I have been thinking about the babylon thingy that appeared recently, (now rid of it) and something AdrianH said about when it appeared  ..thinking back it seemed to coincide with Chrome instillation  ...consequently, after reading for weeks, months, years  ;D how awesome Opera is I though I'd give it another go.  I last used it a few years ago and couldn't get on with it at all.   However, I must say it is growing on me, and last night I even found the plug in for the BBC radio  ;D  My problem now is what and where is the Wand ?   

When I open up Opera, it opens up my last tabs but the one for this site always opens on the 'log in' page and I have to log in every time despite me saying stay logged on.  After some research !  I find that the Wand does this magic thing with passwords....  how can I get it to sort this one out please ?     :)     Merci !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Opera .....wand ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:27 AM »

Opera Wand is a very good password manager..........I would be lost without it as I constanly forget my log-in details and passwords.. :-[

Assuming for the moment that you have never used the Wand, opwn a site where you need to log in and enter the required data into the site....a narrow yellow ( in my case...in may be a different colour if you have a different skin ) band will open along the top of the page asking if you want that data remembered,  say yes or save to that by clicking the appropriate box on that yellow band........that saves it into the Wand password manager.

The next time you want to go to that site, no need to enter detail.....just click on the Wand icon and the detail will be fed in and you will be auto logged in........when you open a site where you have already entered data to the Wand it will become highlighted...if you have not previously entered data or if you are already logged in it will stay greyed out and sulking.

Where is the Wand icon, I hear you cry.....well, it used to look like a little wand but now it is a little horizontal key which should be sitting next to the icons for home, reload, back and forward etc.
If that icon is not there go view>toolbars>customise>buttons>browser and in there you will find all the available buttons. Look for a little key icon with the word "log in" and simply drag and drop that to your preferred location on the toolbar.

To see what if any passwords/log in detail you have loaded into Wand go tools>preferences>forms>password manager.

Have fun... ;D

Edit to add.....
In order that the Wand can apply the correct log-in details to the correct site, that site and your browser must recognise each other, so it is important that you set your browser to accept cookies. toole>preferences>advanced>cookies (Mine is set to "accept cookies only from sites that I visit")
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:55:39 AM by tuftedduck »

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »

Thank you for that information TD   ....I may be back for more help later   ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »

http://help.opera.com/Windows/11.60/en/index.html

http://help.opera.com/Windows/11.60/en/toolbars.html

http://help.opera.com/Windows/11.60/en/menus.html

To get the Menu bar working go to Opera Icon at top left corner and click on it, in the frop down menu find "Show Menu Bar" and click that.
Now you have easy access to all the settings.

In tools "Appearances" you can access whatever buttons you want and drag them to your address bar. The Wand looks like a key in Opera Standard but can be different in other skins.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

Thank you for that Adrian  :)    Can I access the 'wand'  and therefore view the passwords stored there ? 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »

See my post above........just above the smiley.......that will show site detail etc but will not reveal actual password used, for security reasons.....one thing that makes Opera more secure than other browsers.

There is a complex way to view the actual passwords as described by Opera guru Tamil here http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/view-saved-passwords-in-wand

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:00:45 AM »

::)  oops sorry TD   ....   ooooooooooooooo  I love exploring  ;D   

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »

I've searched all over for a split screen facility   :-[     am I making hard work ?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »

Do you mean tiling two or more pages......and are you opening these pages in tabs?

If so, go to one of the open tab buttons on the tab bar, right click and from the pop up menu click on "arrange"......the tiling/cascade etc. options will open.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:04:57 PM by tuftedduck »

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

Tools > Appearance > Buttons > Tile,Cascade,Full screen buttons ae all there to be dragged to your address bar.

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »

Thank you  both   -    again   .....  :flower: :flower:

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »

Well, I'm very impressed with Opera   tra la  la   ;D   I love its clever download procedure; the BBC radio thingy is fantastic; the Wand is up and running and very clever !  and it's speeedy !  However,   I have another query  ....  please  .... :)       How do I stop the annoying flash adverts, on newspapers for example ?   I've used Flashblock previously but it doesn't apply to Opera.  I have Adblock for Opera which works fine, but not on flashy things.....  thank you once again  :)

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »

Try this,  right click on your open page, select "Block Content" from the menu that opens, you are now able to highlight content you don't want. This works with a lot of content.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »

When the block content menu opens, a narrow band will open along the top of Opera.......and after clicking on the offending item as AdrianH says, go the options on that band and click on "done"

To see a list of what you have blocked or to re-establish a blocked item go tools>preferences>advanced>content>blocked content. In there, if you highlight an item and then hit delete, that item will be re-established on the web page.

The Opera blocker is very good....you do not need a third party one.. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3