Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tiscali launches Pipex jobs purge  (Read 4082 times)

Tiscali launches Pipex jobs purge
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

The Register is reporting that Tiscali is offshoring "hundreds of customer care jobs" to North Africa and India.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/30/tiscali_pipex_redundancies/

Merry Christmas Tiscali style :(

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Tiscali launches Pipex jobs purge
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »

Well why isn't that a surprise :(

The first redundancies are set for January next year, when the majority of Pipex call centre and technical support staff will lose their jobs.

The word I want to use isn't allowed on this forum, but things like this shouldn't really be allowed to happen. I can see in the not too distant future that the UK broadband market will be run solely by BT, Sky, TalkTalk and the mobile operators, with Virgin Media hanging on there for the cable until they get bought over too.

A sad state of affairs.
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:59:10 PM »

I thought all tiscali's customer care workeres were already in India.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:46:15 PM »

These are the people who used to deal with Pipex customers rather than Tiscali Floydoid. I doubt Tiscali has actually taken on any new "customer service" staff in North Africa & India to cope with the added load though.

Chris - In a "service economy" that offshores services who pays for the services ;) Seriously though it is a vicious circle - which I think more than one "blue chip" company has realised in the last year :)

A visitor to these shores once said to me that "The English know the price of everything and the value of nothing". Its a damn good phrase and I think he's spot on the money. I'm willing* to pay a few extra quid a month for decent customer service but few people I know in real life are willing to do the same.

*I was anyway but I'm unsure it does any good in the consumer ISP market now anyway.

PS - by "English" I think he meant "British" before anyone starts getting all het up :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 02:51:07 PM »

>> "The English know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

That's the often-quoted definition of an accountant isn't it? Not entirely true of course, but not entirely false either. You're right - for most Brits the price is the overriding consideration, and so often we end up paying the price of that foolery.
  Eric

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 03:42:32 PM »

You are probably right Eric. The person concerned was talking about manufacturing capability when he said that - implication of course being that part of the value is being able to make it yourself.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:46:41 PM »

Not too surprised either...

and share the sentiments in the above posts  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything