Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Phishing Expedition  (Read 4231 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Phishing Expedition
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »

I've treated this as a Phishing Expedition, but I'd like your experienced opinion please.

Peter

This message contains blocked images.Show ImagesOptions Message Body

Account Verification

This is for your own safety to avoid the closure of your BT Yahoo! mail. You will have to verify your account by filling out your Log-in information below by clicking the reply button. We apologize for any inconvenience that this request may cause.

Full Name:
User ID:
Current Password:
Date of Birth:
Country of Residence:

After receiving the information requested you will be able to continue using your BT Yahoo! mail without hitches. Please do bear in mind that we reserve the right to close this BT Yahoo! account if this request isn't granted on time.

Thank you.
BT Yahoo! Customer Care.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Phishing Expedition
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »

Treat as suspicious,once someone has access to your email account it can lead to gaining access to more of your details including financial ones.

Phone BT and set your mind at rest,never give those kind of details out online.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »

It is most definitely as you suspect, Peter>:(  Do not respond to it but send a copy of that message to Beatie. They have the means to investigate -- so let them.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »

It is most definitely as you suspect, Peter>:(  Do not respond to it but send a copy of that message to Beatie. They have the means to investigate -- so let them.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12765/~/how-do-i-report-a-suspected-phishing-email%3F

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »

Thank you Uncle. I knew there was an appropriate location to which that evil, malicious message should be reported.

Teamwork prevails!  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »

Full Name:
User ID:
Current Password:
Date of Birth:
Country of Residence:

Simple ........... no genuine organisation would ever ask for these details.  I expect a quick check of the emails header or properties will reveal the true source of this garbage.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:28 PM »

I agree with others, do not even think about obeying the instructions in this email.  Further, don't click on any links or images that it may contain, as they will probably be web beacons.  These don't disclose any secret data about you, but they confirm that the email has been read by a real human being with a mouse in one hand. Hence you end up on a 'suckers list' for other spammers, and receiving more spam in future.

Equally, don't worry about it unduly, and don't take it personally.  Email is like an open postcard, there is no security whatsoever, and all manner of people on the internet have complete freedom to read email contents or address labels.  Spammers are very good at collecting email addresses at random, and that's probably all that has happened.  I get at least a dozen phishing emails in any one week, I just ignore (and delete) them.

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

Thanks everyone, I have reported it to BT and passed your info onto my sister who has received the same email, much appreciated.

Thank you and A Very Merry Christmas to one and All.

Peter

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »

Nasty thing to get.  You can also send any scam emails to email@actionfraud.org.uk who investigate and try top track down the main scams at any point in time. :)

anything