Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Faulty wiring  (Read 5378 times)

ad10

• Just arrived
Faulty wiring
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »

Ok so long story short, while investigating my slow internet speeds through the help of forum members on another forum. I came to find my telephone equipment was quite old. I have a bell ringer dating back to the 1930s, a block junction dating back to the 60s. I also discovered that my phone wiring was all wrong. From the drop cable coming into the house, it would connect to the block junction and bell ringer, then go up to the first floor of the house to an extension socket and then back downstairs in to a master socket. Within the master socket, I also found that the wiring went straight to the master socket rather than through the test socket first. So the test socket gave me no dial tone and the master socket worked even with the faceplate pulled out from the NTE5 socket.

A BT engineer was called out and he basically just replaced the NTE5 socket with a new one and corrected the wiring within the socket and replaced the junction box. He did not even go up to the first floor to look at the extension socket, which is probably causing a lot of line interference with such a long connection between the incoming connection and the master socket. He also did not remove the bell ringer, don't even know if he disconnected the bell ringer completely.

So now I don't know what to do, do I have to call BT up again and get them to send someone out again? Problem is that I pay BT line rental and phone package, but my broadband is with AOL. I don't want to incur charges. So far my speeds have increased from 1.8meg to 3.2meg through removing the bell ringer.

I should be able to get about 5meg connection. my exchange is LWSOU
Router stats:
current router stats

speedtest.net
ping 35ms
down 3.18meg
up 0.38meg

System Up Time 03:37:50
Port   Status   TxPkts   RxPkts   Collisions   Tx B/s   Rx B/s   Up Time
WAN   PPPoE   33692   40732   0   403   3005   03:37:23
LAN   10M/100M   6919   0   0   129   0   03:37:46
WLAN   11M/54M   72358   60323   0   3863   687   03:37:36

ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   3680 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   47 db   15 db
Noise Margin   10 db   27 db

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Faulty wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »

Hi Ad10 and welcome,

You need to keep things as simple as possible with no star wiring before the NTE5. You also need a dual filter faceplate such as BT's SSFP or an Adsl Nation one. The modem is then connected directly to the master socket. Filters on slave sockets are not required but for good measure on sky boxes a second filter never hurts. I also disconnect all ring wires so there are connections using the same wire colours only on pins 2 & 5 on all sockets.

If you need more help just say so.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »

Hello ad10,

Would you be able to take a series of photographs, to show us the the various intermediate steps, between the termination of the drop-wire and the new NTE5/A? If so, there may be a few simple "adjustments" that you could make which, depending upon the exact current situation, may improve your connection even further.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ad10

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »

http://flic.kr/ps/26MNo1
This is the link to images that show you all of my phone connection including internals

The drop cable connects to a block terminal (recently updated by BT engineer) as well as a very old bell ringer that used to function until I recently removed the ring wire (I don't know if this completely disconnects the box or whether this might be affecting my connection). From there, the telephone cable goes upstairs to the first floor where it connections to what I've been told is an extension socket (inside the wires are doubled up as if to merge a connection between master socket and drop cable). The wire from the extension socket goes back downstairs before reaching the master socket.

The wiring in the master socket was wrong as it connected directly to the faceplate rather than connecting to the back of the test socket first. This was corrected by a BT engineer.

So my current issues at the moment is that there is an extension socket in between the master socket and the drop cable; and that the length of the wires going round my house are causing disturbance to the line thus causing my internet speeds to be lower than expected. Also the bell ringer hasn't been removed and I'm not sure if it is completely disconnected. There is a suggestion that the bell ringer's capacitor could be causing line speeds to be slow too.

Current stats:

Speedtest.net
Ping 45ms
Down 3.15meg
Up 0.37meg

System Up Time 00:30:12
Port   Status   TxPkts   RxPkts   Collisions   Tx B/s   Rx B/s   Up Time
WAN   PPPoE   6215   7345   0   488   3804   00:29:51
LAN   10M/100M   1739   0   0   226   0   00:30:08
WLAN   11M/54M   9493   8104   0   4155   696   00:29:58

ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   3744 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   47 db   15 db
Noise Margin   12 db   26 db

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:55:28 AM »

Thank you for making those pictures available for viewing. I am very surprised that the engineer did not remove the Bell Set No 26, as it really is not appropriate for today's telephone circuitry.

Pictures 1 & 2 show a Block Terminal No 52A, which was nominally installed between the years 1959 - 81. I expect that to have been replaced by a Block Terminal No 80A.

Now as all the wiring and fittings before the NTE5/A belong to Openreach, we would not advise you to make any modifications. However, I can see no reason why I should not mention the two possible adjustments that I would make, if that wiring existed in my own home. Please note that I have made an extensive study of GPO, BT & OR techniques employed over the years and am able to make necessary adjustments, as if performed by such a relevant engineer.

*** Either ***

1) With the Line Jack Unit No 2/3A (pictures 3 & 4) and the Bell Set No 26 (pictures 10, 11 & 12) unwanted & redundant, I would completely rewire with CW1308 specification cable from the new Block Terminal No 80A directly to the new NTE5/A socket. To finish the job, I would then fit an ADSL V1.0 SSFP, thus doing away with a dangly microfilter.

*** Or ***

2) Within the Bell Set No 26 (pictures 10, 11 & 12), disconnect the four wires (blue, brown, green & orange) of both cables from the terminals and then connect each like coloured wire from one cable to the like coloured wire from the other cable with gel-crimps. Again at the NTE5/A, to finish the job, I would then fit an ADSL V1.0 SSFP, thus doing away with a dangly microfilter.

If you would like further thoughts on your current situation, please show pictures of the internals of the new components fitted by the Openreach engineer and of the cable route from the junction with the drop-cable, to the bell set, to the LJU2/3A socket, finally to the NTE5/A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ad10

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:04:49 AM »

Thanks for the info, it looks like Mr Saffron from the think broadband forum (http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aol/f/4073588-aol-line-speeds.html ) is willing to do the fixes for me  ;D There was no way I would have been competent enough to fix it all up by myself.

I'm not bothered with replacing any faceplates to get rid of dangly microfilters but will be taking up suggestion 1 and hoping he does something similar to suggestion 2

anything