Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NTE5 ADSL Faceplate and Extension socket  (Read 23184 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: NTE5 ADSL Faceplate and Extension socket
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 12:40:08 AM »

A bit more pricey than the passive ADSL filtering alternatives,

Sorry Jason but I shall dispute your implied comment (by using the word passive in the above) that the "Premium Centralised Filter" is an active device. It is not.  :no:  It is a passive device based on the concept of nothing more than an interstitial filter.  :-X

It is, in fact, nothing more than the device shown as the "Broadband Accelerator" (and marketed by BT / OR, a few years ago, as the iPlate) with the filtering components of the "Standard Centralised Filter" added to it!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Jason

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »

burakkucat - Apologies, I may have my passive / active terminology wrong.  My understanding is (and I'm not a technical expert), that their Premium central filter is a completely new product that BT intend to use for FTTC roll-out, but also offers filtering benefits to non VDSL customers too.

If you go to the "help me choose" section of their website http://www.slowinternet.co.uk/product-selector, it does compare the broadband accelerator (i-plate), vs standard ADSL filter vs Premium VDSL filter.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »

Just a brief follow-up note from "The Cattery". All filters, be they plug-in micro-filters or replacement front panels for an NTE5/A -- whatever their physical presentation -- only filter the telephone socket from the incoming pair. The data socket is connected directly to the incoming pair without any intervening circuitry.

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mike phillips

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »

I have just fitted a filtered faceplate to my master socket, and disappointingly only produced a small speed improvement. Putting that to one side, my son tells me that my voice line now sounds 'tinny/metallic' and I wondered if leaving the existing filters on the voice equipment is causing this problem? Do I need to remove them?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »

I wondered if leaving the existing filters on the voice equipment is causing this problem? Do I need to remove them?

No. In principle you don't need them, but they can sometimes give improved separation of the voice side from the ADSL side. This is particularly the case with Sky boxes, which can sometimes interfere with the ADSL.

I can't really explain the tinny sound (assuming that you haven't changed telephones of course). I suppose you could try removing/replacing the filters to see if it makes any difference to the sound.
  Eric

mike phillips

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »

Thanks Eric. Maybe it was the Iron tablets I'm on.................... ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »

Thanks Eric. Maybe it was the Iron tablets I'm on.................... ;D

Perhaps we ought to add that to the database of odd explanations. ;D
  Eric

Jason

• Just arrived
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

Mike,

My understanding is that you don't need separate micro-filters on any of your telephone extensions if you filter the broadband signal at the NTE.  I guess to fit the ADSL filter you will have had to re-wire the telephone extensions at the NTE (it might be worth checking these connections if voice call quality has gone down).  Luckily the VDSL centralised filter from Pressac that I fitted didn't involve any rewiring! One last plug for them (honestly, I'm not on sales commission!) http://www.slowinternet.co.uk/products/premium-centralised-filter

With regard to speed, it took a few days for my filter to make a difference to speed (I think the telephone exchange needs to "balance" the line or something), but I did get pretty instant improvements in the line reliability (i.e. not dropping out so often)

Jason
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything