Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen usage checker  (Read 3332 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Zen usage checker
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:14:08 PM »

Zen have provided customers with a suite of software tools for monitoring broadband usage without having to use their customer portal. One of the options is a Firefox extension which displays usage in the FF status bar, and this version is OS-independent. I've installed it on this Linux system, and it seems to work very elegantly.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Zen usage checker
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »

Nice one zen that theyve took the initiative to get a tool coded :)

:thumbs:

I believe this sort of thing can be fairly easily done -
I know chris was thinking of doing a PN version at one point.. and iirc theres the enta tool.

Puts the ISPs that dont even provide any sort of monitor - even in their own systems - very much in the shade doesn't it?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »

Bet there's still no sign of the "Zen Garden" though - I gave up waiting for that after ooohh about 3 years :P

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »

Actually, I think they did get the Zen Garden off the ground about a year ago, but it only had very basic functionality. Don't know what its like now as I've not been monitoring things so closely over the last year.
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »

I've never heard of Zen Garden before, but I gather that it was the original name for what is now called the Zen Portal. It provides access to usage statistics, allows you to buy additional download allowance, change your billing arrangements, move home taking your Zen account with you, regrade to a different account, etc. It's a pretty good account management tool.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »

Yes... Zen Garden = Zen Portal - it was nicknamed the Zen Garden during its developmental / mythical phase ;)
Chris

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »

Heh I remember someone asking Zen if the portal was the "garden" and they got told that it wasn't, it was just a stopgap for now. That would have been 2005 or so I think - I never really understood what the garden was supposed to be if it wasn't a portal but I don't work in marketing :D