Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2Wire Router with Utility Warehouse ISP - Connection Problems!!!  (Read 19383 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: 2Wire Router with Utility Warehouse ISP - Connection Problems!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

Just a thought.
Another thought................. Isn't that model 802.11b only?
Whilst that's "nominally" 11mbps, we all know that in the real world you'll get nothing like that in throughput, especially with multiple wireless devices connected.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

Walter has raised a good point. If you like the 2Wire brand, I would suggest you look on eBay for a 2Wire 2700HG or 2700HG-B. They are not so plentiful as the ubiquitous 2700HGV but as they were not designed for a BT service, they are somewhat easier to configure than the 2700HGV.

A hack of the 270x series is in the pipeline. It should allow the 2Wires to be flashed with alternative firmware.

cheers, a

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:53:14 PM by asbokid »

kavichauhan

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 10:31:45 PM »

Hi all, thanks again for your thoughts.

@HPSauce - The router is b/g upto to 54mbps but as you say you dont get anything close to that!

Since my last post I don't seem to be having any issues, it all seems to be working ok...? I haven't tried the PS3 yet mind but I currently have a download on while browsing the net!

The only problem now is my d/l speed seems to have dropped dramatically, but browsing seems to be the same.

Im running a p2p program, usually average 200-300 kbps but now I'm getting close to 10kbps on average!

Any ideas anyone?!

Thanks all

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 11:18:23 PM »

I'm still unclear, are you using wired or wireless connections for these downloads (and for the speed measurements)?

kavichauhan

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »

Sorry I am using wireless, have only ever used wireless.

I cant use a wired connection as my phone point is downstairs and my computer is upstairs!

Thanks

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »

Sorry I am using wireless, have only ever used wireless.

I cant use a wired connection as my phone point is downstairs and my computer is upstairs!

Thanks

You're welcome to borrow my drill!

cheers, a

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:52:47 PM by asbokid »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »

The trouble is, whilst I accept there are some circumstances in which WiFi is the only realistic compromise, it can be difficult to know whether you are dealing with a WiFi problem or a DSL one.  The fact you say all was well in your old house may be consistent with a WiFi problem, because different houses are built of different materials, and different houses have different neighbours who may be competing with you for the WiFi spectrum.  I have a 54g home network, as well as a wired LAN.  Video distribution doesn't really work for me over WiFi, it needs the wired LAN.  That's usually around 10MBit/s, which is not much more than you are trying to push through your own WiFi.   

If WiFi is found to be the problem then one long term solution might be homeplugs.  I've never used them myself and personally I have some reservations about security, but plenty of highly respected forum members speak highly of them so I suspect they are absolutely fine. But they would also be quite an expensive experiment and, as we don't know either WiFi or DSL is causing the problems, there's a chance they may not help your specific problem.

Is there any chance that, even as a temporary measure, you could connect via ethernet just to see if the situation improves?   Options would be (ugh!) move the PC closer to the phone socket, or borrow a nice long ethernet cable that you can temporarily trail through the house?  Another experimental option might be a long phone extension so you could move the router temporarily upstairs, but you'd need to keep an eye on the DSL stats to make sure the extra wiring doesn't degrade the DSL.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

Another experimental option might be a long phone extension so you could move the router temporarily upstairs, but you'd need to keep an eye on the DSL stats to make sure the extra wiring doesn't degrade the DSL.
  >:D
You might as well use a LAN cable and avoid any potential problems.

As I think I've said elsewhere I've used CW1308 4-core twisted-pair phone cable as LAN cable very successfully as 100mbit ethernet only needs 4 cores. It's much less obvious and in my case SWMBO hasn't even noticed it at all!  :lol:

kavichauhan

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »

Hi all,

I decided to go out and buy myself a new router.......and everything is working as it should and my connection is much faster than it has ever been before!

I guess the 2wire router was just a bit dated, got myself a new ADSL2+ N Range router, and wish I got one a lot sooner!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions anyway, you have all been great!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »

That's great. :)

Which router did you get?
  Eric

kavichauhan

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »

I got the Netgear DGN1000. I read some mixed reviews, but thought I would take a chance. Most people complained about setting them up, but I was up and running within 10mins and I spent most of that time looking for my ISP password!

Downstream into the Router from the line is now 11.1mg and I am averaging speeds according to speedtest.net on all 3 of my computers on the network of 9.5mg - much better than before!

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

That's a big improvement.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]

anything