Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2Wire Router with Utility Warehouse ISP - Connection Problems!!!  (Read 19372 times)

kavichauhan

2Wire Router with Utility Warehouse ISP - Connection Problems!!!
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »

Hello all, I hope there is someone out there that can help me!
I have a 2wire 1800 wireless router, and run 3 computers, PS3 and 2 mobile devices from this, with broadband provided by utility warehouse.
I have been experiencing loss of connection for months and have been putting up with it but now starting to become annoying!
The problem only happens however, when I am downloading something. I.e downloading a film, music, or even a update for my PS3. While downloading, internet connection is lost on all the other devices on the network, and you get the 'page cannot be displayed' error on the browser.
As soon as you pause the download, or stop it, everything is back on again as normal!
I have recently called utility warehouse but they could not solve the issue and suggested I try changing MTU setting on the router and the Channel. I have tried this but still the same.
I default setting for MTU was 1500 but I changed this to 1430 and also tried 1450.
My router will only allow channels 5 6 and 7, and I am on channel 6.

I would be really grateful if anyone can help me out or has any suggestions, if you need any more info please let me know!

Thanks again all!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 2Wire Router with Utility Warehouse ISP - Connection Problems!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »

Hi and welcome

I think that this is most probably a limitation of the router. What seems to be happening is that any download completely saturates the throughput capacity of the router, and no other connected devices can get a look in. It's rather an old router, and probably isn't up to the task of handling the kind of usage you're asking of it.

But I could be wrong (it's happened before :) ) so maybe someone else has a better idea.
  Eric

kavichauhan

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I know the router is quite old but I used it at my old house (on a bigger network) with a different ISP and it was fine! So I am sure the router is ok, but just needs some tweaking?!

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »

The other possibility that occurs is that you are saturating your internet connection with the download. Could you copy your router stats here (attenuation, connection speed, noise margin) so we can see what sort of capacity it has.
  Eric

kavichauhan

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Router Stats are as follows -

DSL Connection Details

DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate:7488 kbps
Upstream Rate:896 kbps
Channel:Interleaved
Current Noise Margin:9.0 dB (Downstream), 10.0 db (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:19.8 dB (Downstream), 13.0 db (Upstream)
Current Output Power:19.8 dB (Downstream), 11.8 db (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information:
PVC Info:0/38

MTU is currently set to 1430, although I am not sure what the best MTU setting should be?!

Thanks again for your help.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »

There's nothing in those stats to explain the problem. It could be something to do with traffic management by your ISP. Do they publish information about their traffic management?

I don't think MTU is likely to be the cause, but here's the Kitz advice on MTU: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

I think UW supply via TalkTalk LLU if that explains anything....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »

If that's the case it won't be easy to get meaningful information...
  Eric

kavichauhan

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »

Hi again,

Right, according to speedtest.net, my d/l speed is 3.83mbps and upload is 0.66mbps. Ping is 49ms.
It says an IP address just below and has 'TalkTalk' next to it - so yes UW do seem to use TalkTalk.

I cannot see any info about traffic management for UW I'm afraid?

I had a look at the MTU as you suggested earlier, using the guide on the website I should be using 1430 so I have set my router to this. I have also repointed both my computer and laptop to 1430 too as these were set at 1500. I have only just done this but cant see any difference in performance.

I just tried a download to see if it did the trick.....but no, Im still losing connection!

Might just try ringing UW and demanding they send me a new router seeing as they are offering free new routers to new customers!

Thanks again, but any more suggestions will be welcome!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »

If, as HP says, your connection is essentially a resold TT LLU service, then the MTU should be set to 1432.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »

@ KC,

Do be careful if you get a new router from them you might find you are locked into a contract for up to 18 Months.
Why not see what you can find on e-bay ?

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »

Walter has raised a good point. If you like the 2Wire brand, I would suggest you look on eBay for a 2Wire 2700HG or 2700HG-B. They are not so plentiful as the ubiquitous 2700HGV but as they were not designed for a BT service, they are somewhat easier to configure than the 2700HGV.

Of course if you would like another, brand new, 2Wire 1800HG then please let me know. For the cost of the postage, you would be welcome to have it.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kavichauhan

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »

Hi all, thanks for your replies!

@waltergmw - I have been on the phone to them but they only offer a wired router for free so thats no good!

@burakkucat - The MTU seems to be working ok at 1430, if I have any issues though I will try 1432.

I was on the phone to UW yesterday for 40mins (half of which was after they closed?!) they were very helpful and did a series of tests on the line. They decreased the line speed then slowly put it back up again, in between I was asked to monitor connection and loss when downloading. Eventually they increased my speed back to 8mg which is what I pay for, and so far, fingers crossed it seems to be ok?! I'm not sure how long this will last however....

Thank for your suggestions with routers out there, I have to say I do like the 2wire range so may invest in one of the newer models as you guys have suggested. And if that still dont fix it, might just switch ISP!

Thanks again all, very much appreciated.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »

Hi
perhaps you could try
Working out your maximum MTU 
and see what comes up
Regards Jeff

zen user

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »

Hi all, thanks for your replies!

@waltergmw - I have been on the phone to them but they only offer a wired router for free so thats no good!

I take it then that wireless is essential to you, as it is to most of us, for use with laptops, iPods, etc.   

But are you using a wireless connection for these big downloads that seem to cause a problem?   If so, then I'd speculate that the wireless connection may be a major part of the problem...

Just a thought.

- 7LM

Pages: [1] 2