Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Odd TV behaviour  (Read 36225 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Odd TV behaviour
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »

I think you also need to factor in the difference in energy consumed on a "cold start" and from "on from standby".

Agreed, but that is not something I'd not though of, though it's probably going to be gard to find any reference data.

And many appliances these days are software driven.  In the case of (say) something that runs an underlying OS such as a Linux kernel, a cold-start reboot sequence (when switched on from a remote socket) could easily eat into a few fractions of a kWh, that might have been saved if the device was instead in low-power 'sleep' mode with no need for reboot.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »

Getting back to the flashing lamp on he TV, perhaps it cold be something to do with it searching for a firmware update? Most of these modern appliances do a search if left in standby for new firmware to download - and my HDD Freeview recorder also searches for new channels although it does not flash any lamps merely puts up a new message on screen when it comes out of standby.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

Getting back to the flashing lamp on he TV, perhaps it cold be something to do with it searching for a firmware update? Most of these modern appliances do a search if left in standby for new firmware to download - and my HDD Freeview recorder also searches for new channels although it does not flash any lamps merely puts up a new message on screen when it comes out of standby.

Stuart

Agreed, that's a possibility.

From the user manual:
The TV automatically goes to active standby mode at 3.00 A.M. each day and searches for any new information which may be broadcasted and will download this to your receiver automatically. This operation will normally take approximately 30 minutes.

Now, looking further at that user manual, it does seem to strongly suggest that the 'active standby' LED is only lit whilst searching for new channels and downloads, which it also does (by default I think) every time the TV is put into standby.  This could explain why the light comes on  'solid' when the set is first switched off; it indicates simply that the 'download' is in progress.

It would be reasonable to assume then  something else happens to the LED when the set goes into 'proper' (my word) standby, after the download.  An LED that flashed once every few seconds would be a distinct possibility, and would be entirely in keeping with a circuit designer's best intentions to minimise energy consumption.  A solid LED doesn't need much power at all, but one that just blinks every two seconds needs even less.

From the Q&A in the user manual...
When put into standby the television's active will automaticalyl search all available channels for downloads, provided Automatic Download is enabled. The time it takes to do this may vary.

It might thus be interesting to temporarily disable the 'Automatic Download', and see if the set then goes straight to the slowly flashing LED when put into standby?  Unfortunately I can't find any unambiguous instructions how to do so, it's not terribly well-written in my humble opinion, for example the interesting spelling in above quote.

Alternatively, maybe TD could be persuaded to keep vigil over his TV at 3am one morning, and see whether the slowly blinking light goes back to being 'solid' for a while, then starts blinking again?    :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »

maybe TD could be persuaded to keep vigil over his TV at 3am one morning

Possibly beyond the call of duty ;D
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »

Thank you for all the further contributions to this thread.  :)

The suggestion from broadstairs and 7lm is one that appeals.......I had often wondered if the system could be looking for some form of update, either firmware or even channel location updates.

>>> maybe TD could be persuaded to keep vigil over his TV at 3am one morning <<<  :swoon:  :no: .....TD likes his duvet too much.  ;D

Thanks again.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:15:16 PM »

I'm not totally against these power saving sockets, but I'm somewhat sceptical.  There's a lot of people jumping on the 'green bandwagon' to make a fast buck out of public fears of energy usage, and some (by no means all) power-saving sockets may be in that category

Personally I do own a few remote sockets, but I use them purely for convenience...

to control various lamps around the lounge, rather than any attempts at power-saving.
Far too many points to comment on individually but I think I actually agree with all of them, but for me your last comment hits the right spot.

As you say, may people and organisations have jumped on this so-called 'Green bandwagon' and are probably about the only people making anything out of it.

As mentioned in a much earlier thread, I was involve in a energy saving project, although practically a duplicate of one that was and still is already up and running, but hey, it was government funded and the organisers were making money out of running the scheme, I eventually dropped out because the organisation did not seem to want to know that to take part in the scheme meant doubling my internet running cost plus running 24/7 extra power supplies to run the equipment.
Although I will admit on a more positive side, I did and still do get lots of so-called energy saving device freebies (paid for by the tax payer no-doubt)

Take the PowerDown socket for arguments sake, at £16 each just to turn off from standby items like a DVD/Video player or TV.
How many years would you need to operate the device to save the purchase cost?
Not too mention the production costs of these items of which are 'additional' and not replacement items?

In my opinion, as you also rightly say 'convenience' is the thing here.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

That's a relief OF, I was worried I might be perceived as contradicting you.   Good points made.   :)

My modern appliances (4 year old TV etc) generally fail to register at all on my power meter when in standby, meaning less than 1 watt, or £1 per year.  Old CRT TV's were particularly bad as they often kept the tube filament warm whilst in standby for fast turn-on, which obviously used significant energy, and I wonder that may be the basis of a few urban myths, that make good headlines, about energy usage of TVs in standby?

As far a TD's TV behaviour goes, one more thought suddenly came to mind... and I wish I'd remembered it earlier.  My own Sony TV has a comparable quirk, in that every morning when I switch it on, there is a 'click' as if from a relay.  But if I just switch it off to eat my dinner, then switch it on an hour later, there is no audible click.  I suspect what may be going on is that the Sony engineers have probably maintained a 'drip-feed' to certain parts of the circuit to allow fast turn-on from standby and to minimise any power surges, but perhaps if it stays in standby for longer than (say) a couple of hours then it switches to an even lower consumption mode, hence the relay 'click' when it comes back on again?

I've just put a watt meter onto the socket and sure enough, it's drawing 19W when first switched to standby, whereas the manual specifies 0.3W.  I'm betting it'll drop to that lower figure if I leave it long enough.  But I'll be in trouble if I do so, as attaching the watt meter  means taking drawers out of furniture to reach the socket, so the lounge now looks like a bombsite, and I'll be in trouble if it's not all spick'n'span again in time for other half to get home.   :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:50 PM »

Old CRT TV's were particularly bad as they often kept the tube filament warm whilst in standby for fast turn-on, which obviously used significant energy, and I wonder that may be the basis of a few urban myths, that make good headlines, about energy usage of TVs in standby?

I used to work in the electronic components industry, and I remember one or two infamous cases many years ago, in which TVs consumed over 100 W in standby. That ceased long ago of course.

Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »

But I'll be in trouble if I do so, as attaching the watt meter  means taking drawers out of furniture to reach the socket, so the lounge now looks like a bombsite, and I'll be in trouble if it's not all spick'n'span again in time for other half to get home.   :)
But just maybe you will have the reading before her lady-ship returns, then at least that will be another question mark solved, sooner than always wondering, plus I wouldn't might guessing it will take no more than about 30 minutes.
If needs be you could tell her that it was not your fault and you were led astray by doing a favour to some poor old codger.

Energy saving devices are only beneficial if we don't have to pay for them to start with, so I have just contacted my energy saving device supplier and hopefully another 2 PowerDown sockets are on the way 'freebies obviously'

So I think I will try one on the TV/DVD with the cable box being the main item which when put into standby will then power down the other items and without the need for the cable box to re-tune each time.

I used to have one connected to all of my PC equipment, "Computer / 2 Printers / Cable Modem / Router / Router Switch Box / External HDD etc etc" all of which were being powered by their own individual power supply adaptors, of which were not being used most days for at least 12  hours per day, now that was a saving.

Edit:
So by turning off the PC automatically turned off anything else plugged into the adaptor via a trailing socket.

>> Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:25:39 PM by oldfogy »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »

But I'll be in trouble if I do so, as attaching the watt meter  means taking drawers out of furniture to reach the socket, so the lounge now looks like a bombsite, and I'll be in trouble if it's not all spick'n'span again in time for other half to get home.   :)
But just maybe you will have the reading before her lady-ship returns, then at least that will be another question mark solved, sooner than always wondering, plus I wouldn't might guessing it will take no more than about 30 minutes.

I must admit I was a smidgen worried, as 19W, even for a few hours every day, would rob me of a few beer vouchers over a year.  So I actually went back through to tidy up after that last post, and it was now showing 2W which is much more acceptable, the 19W may have been very transient.  But even 2W is a lot more than the 0.3W specified, so I'm still wondering if it drops again for some time later (and that's probably the time at which the relay 'click', coming out of standby, kicks in.  I've only ever heard that after leaving the set overnight.).

I'm about to go out, and better half will likely get back before me.  I'd not want her dialling 999 to report the house had trashed by burglars, so I'm afraid I've now put all the furniture back together.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »

Update.....

This am, white LED was solid and unblinking... :clap2:

Whilst in bedroom just now, I heard music and on going own to investigate, found that the goggle had turned itself on.... ???

That thing is alive.. :scare: :swoon:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »

Update.....

Whilst in bedroom just now, I heard music and on going own to investigate, found that the goggle had turned itself on.... ???

Nothing to do with the old falling down water is it TD...It can play tricks with ones mind..... :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »

:lol:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »

Update.....

What, you never... at 3am... :o

That's weird.

But whatever weirdness is in play seems to propagate via the internet...  Also weird is the fact, today, I can no longer browse the user manual .pdf that somebody posted earlier.  It was fine yesterday and earlier this week, but it now crashes the 'preview' on my MAC (that's the default pdf viewer) every time.   If I view it within Safari, that crashes too.

I was trying top see if the TV may have some kind of 'alarm clock' functionality built in, but I don't think it does.  Far be it from me to suggest you should seriously consider UncleUB's theory.    :lol:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:57:42 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »

I have managed to sort the problems with our TV!!!!   :clap:

After extensive searching ont'Internet, I found a description of the fault and possible cure.  It seems that Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and many others use the same power supply board and so the fault can surface on many brands.

It seems that some of the electrolytic capacitors used on the power supply boards are failing early.  I opened up our set, taking care to let the power dissipate inside (overnight) and looked carefully at the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board.  Sure enough, 6 of them had "blown" - that is the top had bulged and a tiny hole appeared where excess pressure will have bled off.  They were all 3,300µF, 10v.  A bit of looking around and I found some Panasonic branded high temperature ones at CPC Farnell at 96p (inc VAT) each.  Add a bit for handling & postage and the bill came to £12.19.  Did the exchange and reassembled the TV and VOILA!   :clap: :clap:

Far cheaper than £350+ for a replacement TV.

Please note that you should only attempt this if:

a.  You are prepared to brick your TV if it all goes wrong;

b.  You have turned the power off and allowed the power supply to discharge;

c.  You don't come chasing me for compensation if (a) occurs or you haven't allowed enough time at (b).

Happy fixing if you try it, other wise £180 minimum for a new power supply board apparently.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything