Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I wire cat5e for house telephone and network/adsl ?  (Read 13967 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
How do I wire cat5e for house telephone and network/adsl ?
« on: October 28, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »

I'm trying to understand how to wire a house with cat5e for both telephone(1 line) and network use using only RJ45 jacks in the rooms and 2 patch panels (for simplicity 1 for telephone and 1 for network) in the closet, but am a bit confused. Are there any good guides anywhere, if not my questions are along the lines of :

+ Is it best to use a NTE5 adsl splitter faceplate and wire the extensions to patch panel A for the phones and wire an RJ11 from the adsl socket to the adsl router and then patch it out to the rooms ?

+ How do I get one wire to connect to all the sockets on the patch panel so I can feed the phone to all the rooms ? (The adsl does it via the switch/router, do I need some kind of hub for telephone to patch panel connections)

+ What dongle do I need to use in the rooms to allow BT phone-dongle-Rj45 connection to work, I have seen various dongles.

+ I read somewhere that if a computer is accidentally plugged into the wrong RJ45, one that is patched to the phone system, that the ring voltage can damages the NIC or even worse the whole computer, is this true, or is part of the dongle's job to protect against this .... ideally I would like a BT to RJ45 dongle that does protect against this.

EDIT .... ooops .... I think this is in the wrong place, I tried to move it but it won't allow me to delete my own post, sorry.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:08:56 AM by setecio »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: How do I wire cat5e for house telephone and network/adsl ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

I've moved it for you :)

Certainly the best technical arrangement is to use a filtered faceplate in the way you say. I'm afraid the rest is outside my experience, so hopefully someone else will be along shortly.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »

If I understand you correctly you want (for example) one CAT5e cable carrying network and phone traffic for each room?

If so then the very first thing to point out is that you are limiting yourself to 100Mbps on the network. Gigabit ethernet requires all four pairs in the cable. There isn't a lot of point in using CAT5e unless you want GigE.

Is that what you want or have I misunderstood you? You need to answer that before we go further.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:37:42 PM »

I've recently had this done in another building (a church) we kept the phone line and the network cable separate but they do follow the same route in places.
There's a router connected to the filtered master socket which 'supplies' up to 3 PC's at remote locations and 1 document centre (copier/printer).
Only the network uses Cat5e cable, telephone extensions are ordinary phone cable (2 twisted pair I think)

At home I have a filtered master socket and an extension that carries both phone and ADSL. That is 3 pair Cat5 cable to extensions (2 in series) in 2 rooms. Each room has a phone outlet and a RJ45 outlet for ADSL. Of course you can't use 2 routers at the same time! I have trunking in place so I could run a network cable back from the router to the other room if required.

I got the kit from http://www.clarity.it/ They also do a cheap 'Pro' connection tool and give some info' on their web site. Maplin sell reasonably priced tools to assemble plugs on cat5 cable.
Terry.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:14:59 AM »

For a phone patch panel, you wire an extension from the master to the 1st outlet on the patch panel and then dupplicate that by wiring from outlet 1 to outlet 2 etc in the same fashion. This way everyport is in effect a daisy chained extension socket.

For your telephone sockets, you will want secondary RJ-45 to BT adaptors. You can buy PBX ones as wel, the PBX adaptors include an inline ring capacitor, required for some older phones to ring. However if you wire your ports as 4 wire you are carrying the ring signal from the master socket anyway.

As for broadband, the decent NTE5 master adaptors use RJ-45 connectors so you can plug an RJ-45 patch lead straigt in.
RJ-45 leads are better than RJ-11 ones as they are of twisted pair construction, which helps reduce/prevent interference etc which can be detromental to the ADSL signal.

For total correctness you need to dedicate a Cat5e cable to each outlet, so for every patch panel port there is a cable direct to an outlet port. You shouldn't really use the pairs in a single cable between two seperate outlets.

Obviously this makes wiring a house or any building with cat5 a nightware but does provide flexibility.

For total flexibility, wire each wall outlet, regardless of use to a single patch panel, or more than one if necessary. Do  not wire specifically to two panels for data and tele.

Then wire out another panel specifically for telecomms and have a data switch rack mounted as well.

Now you can patch your data or tele to any of your outlets offering total flexibility as in intended by the cabling system.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:12:15 AM »

The original poster hasn't got back to us yet but I wonder what the point in putting telephone extension points in every room is? Admittedly the house concerned may have really thick walls but unless he's planning on putting in a PABX then I can't see why DECT phones wouldn't be a better solution. Perhaps I'm missing something?

PS - the only DECT phones I've come across (recently) which need a ring cap are Panasonic phones.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:23:23 AM by rizla »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »

Indeed having an entire patch panel dedicated to providing extensions from a single line does seem a little useless.
As you mention a set of DECT phones would be easier and cheaper.
Agreed if a wired solution was to be used a PBX set up would be better.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »

I'm guessing its just because he has to run a cable anyway.

The way I wired up our place with CAT6e was to put a switch in each room where a wired connection was needed - distributes the traffic better and means you can daisychain the cable from room to room. Makes it less painful to install although it costs more. Swings and roundabouts :)

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:57:25 PM »

Thanks all ... now that I think about it a dect phone makes alot more sense.

I presume PBX is more business orientated ?

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »

a PBX is a telephone system where you have independent extensions which can be used for contacting other extensions. It works like an exchange line basically, you pick up the phone and get internal dial tone and you can ring other users on the system. Likewise you can make external calls using connected exchange lines, be they analogue, ISDN or VoIP.

They are mainly used by businesses, but they are found in the large country house or the homes of telecomms engineers or enthusiasts.

tnp

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »

Having wired up many a company with Cat5, I did my house the same way.

Not claiming this is the best way, but the reasons I did it ths way are stated.

Firstly,its not a good idea to run phone and data down the same cable.  I ran two cables at least to every room and put double RJ45 faceplates where need, or simply left the second wire disconnected inside the backing box if I didn't need it then and there. When laying cables, always lay LOTS. Cable is cheap and its no harder to run 4 than one. :D

Cables terminate on RJ45 patch panels.

I went with a PABX because the house is large enough to need a lot of phones - 8 currently - and that's beyond line limits for most phone types. It would also be somewhat nasty with broadband - I wanted a single stable predictable load on the phone ine - the PABX does that. It also took 3 doorphones to avoid having doorbells..useful again because from the back of the house you can't hear people knocking. For historical reasons I also had two incoming lines. The only irritation is that you have to 'dial 9 for an outside line'. The benefit is that you ca transfer calls around the house.

I didn't go DECT because my experience of this is that in a house full of metal  (and covered in metal lath/render) it doesn't work that well. It was also expensive. I used a cheap panasonicx hybrid PABX - most of the phones are cheap ordinary phones.With a PABX you distribute phone signals on 2 wires only unless you are using a digital phone. That means you need PABX master faceplates for the phones, or PABX master dongles if using RJ45 faceplates. 

On up to 100Mbps stuff the ethernet uses different pairs to the phone, so no problems with misconnections.

The phone extensions are wired to a different patch panel and patched across to the house wiring to enable certain rooms.

I currently have a large 100Mbps switch into which the ADSL router goes. That is patched to the ethernet sockets round the house..

The ADSL router plugs straight into the BT master via a microfilter. Filter faceplate would be better..one day.

Since all the wring had to go in, I also ran loads of co-ax satellete cable around the place: Currently I have a distribution amplifier (Labgear) that takes TV and FM signals and boosts them for 10 room sockets.

Also installed loads of alarm cables..but we like the house so much we don't go out anymore..so its not been fitted  ;D

Currently got two Macs, a PC and a Linux web server plus netoworked printer running..web server is publicly accessible on static IP address via port 80 pass-through. Plus one networked printer.

Compared with people who use wireless phones and networks, its infinitely more reliable, though people think I am old fashioned ;)

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »

ive got a wireless router and dect phone station just inside my from door on top of the shoe rack, and use 2 dect phones and my pc's/ lappy anywhere in the house and the garden without a problem - no cables anywhere  :)

my wireless connection is faster than my net connection so thats ok but between machines is a bit more drawn out.

......... sorry ...  a lot more drawn out !
Paul

anything