Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP's Default MTU  (Read 2999 times)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
ISP's Default MTU
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »

I love testing your guys  :D

So ive been on a mission of late trying to fully optimise my connection. Recently i googled mtu and from that i got the impression that the closer ur mtu is to 1500 the better. I dont believe this to be true, not with gaming anyhow...

Check this out, i believe whats better is that ur routers MTU value is equal to your ISPs default mtu. I trialled this with ping tests and by playing gears 3 for a few hours, it was apparent straight away that my connection had improved. I think that the further away ur routers mtu is from ur isp's default, the worser ur connection will be. For example i had been using the same netgear router with an mtu value of 1492 for many years with 3 different ISPs, (im with Talktalk now, previously Virgin, BT) with virgin my connection was really poor, really jumpy and glitchy, and turns out that virgins default mtu is 1400. Then with Talktalk my conn wasnt so bad, but still wasnt right. Talktalks default is 1432, now i have matched my router with that and wala!!

Wait! theres more! I dont know if anyone saw my old post "Re: Woosh test + KBD test + Gaming = Massive Frustration"
I spoke about how i would complain to virgin about my poor conn, then they would do their tests, change snr, reset profile, all that stuff, and then my connection would mysteriously become excellent but only for a day, then would slowly deteriorating back to its crappy self. So heres my theory on that, i believe that these tests would increase the mtu to its maximum 1500, maybe its how they get their best results, i dunno. Then this would give me an excellent connection because my routers mtu was equal or close to.

So yea i believe that higher mtu is better but only if it matches ur ISPs, maybe u still have a connection if ur routers mtu is higher, but is it any better. On those rare occassions with virgin my connection was so good it felt like i was host in every game.

I wanted to tell you guys about this to get your thoughts? Is this all plausible?  ??? Also if theres any gamers reading this, give it a try and let me know how it goes?

Also im keen to know would Talktalk be able to raise mtu on my profile? Id love to be able to recreate that beautiful connection that i know is possible on my line.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ISP's Default MTU
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »

Acknowledged. TT's MTU is 1432.

It is not something that is customisable on a per line basis but is the result of how all their equipment is set up, nationwide. So to answer your very last question ("Also im keen to know would Talktalk be able to raise mtu on my profile?"), no that could not be done.  :)  In general terms, to maximise throughput, the biggest MTU is best. But it must be the biggest MTU that all the equipment is able to use . . . So the best thing you can do is ensure that the modem/router that you are using is set to a MTU of 1432.

I dont know if anyone saw my old post "Re: Woosh test + KBD test + Gaming = Massive Frustration"
I spoke about how i would complain to virgin about my poor conn, then they would do their tests, change snr, reset profile, all that stuff, and then my connection would mysteriously become excellent but only for a day, then would slowly deteriorating back to its crappy self. So heres my theory on that, i believe that these tests would increase the mtu to its maximum 1500, maybe its how they get their best results, i dunno. Then this would give me an excellent connection because my routers mtu was equal or close to.

Now that you have mentioned that thread, yes I do remember it. I also remember thinking "How strange" at the time but could not rationalise the results that you were observing. It is certainly an interesting suggestion that you have made but as you are no longer able to perform any tests on a Virgin line, we shall just have to file that idea under the "Interesting" heading.  :-\

I don't know if you have seen them but Kitz has six pages under the "Tweaking + MTU" heading. I'd suggest starting with this page.

Finally, sorry, I am not a gamer.  :no:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:02:53 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »

>> Finally, sorry, I am not a gamer. <<

Not even cats cradle? ;D
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »

Not even cats cradle? ;D

No.  :no:  Too busy sleeping.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »

Not even cats cradle? ;D

No.  :no:  Too busy sleeping.  :angel:

How about some "minecat"  ;D

Anyways thx for ur replys.  :)

anything