Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum Getting Quieter ??? or is it just me ??  (Read 7930 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
Forum Getting Quieter ??? or is it just me ??
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »

as per the title really, seems to have been a major drop-off on the Issues, Hardware and Technology sub-boards over the last 6 months or so...FTTC possibly having an effect??, people overall happier with their bb service?? I hope Kitz doesn't go the way of some other bb fora that have more or less bitten the dust :(
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Forum Getting Quieter ??? or is it just me ??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »

Hi GunJack,

I second those remarks!

I know that BaldEagle, BKK & asbokid et al find the forum very useful and they have provided a significant increase in the published knowledge of the FTTC implementation.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »

Yes, it has been quiet recently, but we've got no intention of biting the dust. :)
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

Yes, it has been quiet recently, but we've got no intention of biting the dust. :)

I hadn't noticed the former, to be honest and I'm pleased to know the latter.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »

What else would we do with our fun packed days. ;D

And if its too quiet,well happy to oblige ..........
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:32:02 PM by UncleUB »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »

..... the riff-raff are back!  Who let Unky in?

Colin

PS - do you know that the South African National Vuvuzela Orchestra are having problems again?  Every time they perform, a football match breaks out!   :lol:

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »

Hanx to TD for moving this :)

Must admit, I'm glad there's no will to let kitz die, IMHO it's the best of the bb/adsl forums, with some really helpful peeps inhabiting the forum :)

....and it's a far better format than the TBB forums  :thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »

Thanks GJ :)
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »

FTTC possibly having an effect??,
people overall happier with their bb service??
I doubt that the latter is happening, though I think (possibly with reference to the main site here) there IS more understanding of the limitations & problems of ADSL and how to deal with them. This applies to both customers and ISP's of course.
Plus a more mature market presumably means fewer new customers with problems - are we past peak growth?

As for FTTC I think it's still too new and sufficiently closed/obscure for issues to be less obvious. Maybe even BT have learned some lessons too and are managing the rollout better than ADSL2+.  :o

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »

@ HP,

my reference to FTTC was more to do with the fact that the majority who have signed up for it will have seen greatly improved speeds and, basically, will have less things to moan about.

I completely agree that it's still a bit too new (as bald_eagle and a few others will concur) for there to be NO issues coming to light.

@ Eric - no probs mate, credit where it's due  ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »

@ HP,

Regretfully the BT Group are trying to conceal matters even more for those who are prepared to pay for FTTC solutions.
The only supported BT Openreach supplied VDSL 2 modem has been locked down so you are not supposed to be able to see how well (or badly) your twinkly line is doing (Other than a BT Speedtest.)
Very fortunately we have some cats, eagles and asbokids here to reveal what is going on !

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »

Regretfully the BT Group are trying to conceal matters even more for those who are prepared to pay for FTTC solutions.
Indeed, that's why I said "closed/obscure"  :lol:

tnp

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »

as per the title really, seems to have been a major drop-off on the Issues, Hardware and Technology sub-boards over the last 6 months or so...FTTC possibly having an effect??, people overall happier with their bb service?? I hope Kitz doesn't go the way of some other bb fora that have more or less bitten the dust :(

Me too.. I haven't been here in a while, really because things DO work pretty well.

As the technology and the customer base matures, its likely support sites like this will as well..

Traffic here is low, but there is still good information..I think that's where the site should go, towards up to ate information..

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »

I think that's where the site should go, towards up to date information..

As Kitz hinted recently, there's a new innovation in the pipeline, which is intended to do just that...
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 10:22:25 AM »

Very fortunately we have some cats, eagles and asbokids here to reveal what is going on !

But unfortunately, even when it has been revealed, ISPs/BT can conveniently ignore it, or only go so far, as the details have been obtained "unofficially".

FTTC is a whole new technology, loosely based upon ADSL2 but using much higher frequencies etc., that is/are much more susceptible to problems caused by line "faults" etc.

The current standard line tests do not often appear to reveal these higher frequency "faults", resulting in LTOK results & a disgruntled end user.

New CIDT tests have been trialed by BT, with a better than expected success rate in detecting/repairing High Resistance type issues that would otherwise be shown as LTOK.
Apparently not all ISPs are planning to use this option though. My ISP (Plusnet) are still only thinking about it.

In the meantime, the response appears to be "Your connection is performing better than its estimated speeds, so sorry, we can't action anything on your behalf".
(I believe we all have strong reservations regarding the accuracy of BT's low estimated speeds)

& That is despite real evidence of deteriorated speeds/stability & records of thousands/millions of various types of error that inevitably end up with a modem re-sync that lowers speeds & adds latency.

Now a dedicated FTTC/FTTH section has been set up, we may start to see a little more traffic, & as users need to be logged in to make postings, hopefully, the anonymous "riff-raff" who post utter rubbish will stay elsewhere.

Paul.
Pages: [1] 2