Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: GMX email?  (Read 2993 times)

staffsman

GMX email?
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »

I'm looking to get a new (free) email address. Sick of Yahoos spam and hotmail not offering pop3 so I'm looking for something new.  I have come across GMX?  I'm not keen on gmail or some of the other well know ones but GMX looks promising. Does anyone know anything about them?  The web site looks OK but I have never heard of them. Are they safe?  A good choice or not?

What I am looking for is somewhere that allows pop3 for Outllook, is spam free (as much as possible) and most of all reliable.

Any views anyone?

Ray

AdrianH

Re: GMX email?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Looks almost identical to mail.com which I use as a "firewall" email service for those I don't want to have my peronal addresses, they have a "mail collector" which may be what you want.

Lots of adverts of course but they don't bother me, the system has been very stable and has all the filters/white/blacklists I need.

Edit : Having read both sites it is the same service, so I would say go for it, you have good spam/antivirus etc. and it works.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:55:59 PM by AdrianH »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

I use it for a secondary email account (via Outlook/POP) and it works fine.

staffsman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »

Looks almost identical to mail.com which I use as a "firewall" email service for those I don't want to have my peronal addresses, they have a "mail collector" which may be what you want.

Lots of adverts of course but they don't bother me, the system has been very stable and has all the filters/white/blacklists I need.

AdrianH, Thanks for your reply.  Since posting I have found a site that offers reviews on free email sites.   GMX either gets 5 stars or 1, some say it's great but most say keep away.  However I have found over time that the happy tend say very little while the unhappy can't say enough.  In short, I still don't know.  The adds worry me a bit but I assume my add blocker will cut that out and anyway I will only be calling for mail via Outlook so there shouldn't be any problems with adds.
r

staffsman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »

I use it for a secondary email account (via Outlook/POP) and it works fine.

That sounds good to me, might just give it a try.

Thanks
Ray

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »

Your adblocker will do the job no problem.

You now have 2 plus votes, I can only say it has worked perfectly for me for the last 12+ months, it does everything I want.

staffsman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »

You now have 2 plus votes, I can only say it has worked perfectly for me for the last 12+ months, it does everything I want.

Now there are three.  I signed up a couple of days ago, got the exact address I wanted and although it is very early days, I like it.
Set up was very easy, pick up via Outlook and my PDA just worked.   I have dropped Yahoo already.

Thanks for your help

anything