Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Opera 11.60 available now  (Read 20775 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Opera 11.60 available now
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »

Thank you TD  ..... ;D    but you know me   .... stick with one   :lol:

:o  :swoon:

Meanwhile back at Pinocchio's house  :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »

scottiesmum

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh   !  :o  it' back  ........ the box  .....when I switched on this morning  'the box'  clicked on Opera and the box appeared.  The option to OPen Unite and extensions was ticked -I un-ticked it and clicked start  ....  the Opera browser opened in a split screen, the top half with the last tabs showing and the bottom half with something called Dragonfly opening   !!   what is Dragonfly ?     I clicked on the cross in the top rh corner of the lower page showing Dragonfly ...Opera closed but with  an error message  box asking me for a report (which I didn't send) closed that window and then Opera opened on its own still with the Dragonfly half at the bottom  ... this time I dragged the page to full screen from the middle down.     Now, if I venture to the bottom of the screen,n and pull up the 'half window'  ...I see this   .... ( see below) .....     79 errors   ???   :o  :o SOS   ;D     

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:42:22 AM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »

Hmmmmmmm......it may be that your installation of Opera and/or any widget/add on/plug in that you may have is corrupt.

Dragonfly is a developer and diagnostic tool built into Opera .......quote from Opera help pages  ......."Opera Dragonfly is a tool for developing and debugging local and remote webpages. It includes a DOM view of webpages and highlighting of elements. You can step through your JavaScript code, and quickly inspect changes to your CSS styles. You can debug your extensions and widgets, and study your application's impact on network resources."

To close Dragonfly.....again quote from Opera help....."To close Opera Dragonfly, take one of the following steps:
Click the close icon ("X") on the upper right side of the Opera Dragonfly window.
From the main menu, uncheck Page > Developer Tools > Opera Dragonfly.
Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + I.
When the Opera Dragonfly window has focus, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + W, as with any other tab."

Dragonfly should not open by itself....only when you ask it to.......the "errors" that it is reporting are scripting errors on the web page you are viewing and you cannot cure them.

Could I suggest that you download a fresh Opera from the likes of Filehippo.......uninstall the present one and re-install. Don't worry about your prefs.......they are held in a directory seperate from the actual program and will not be lost by uninstalling.

When reinstalling, look carefully at the options as you install........there may be the opportunity then to not invoke Unite.

ps.......you did not attach your piccy.. :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »

Thank you TD....  can you not see my image ?   it's there  ...............   whilst I've been away I've had all sorts of strange things happening .....I restarted the computer  ....   the box didn't appear  BUT  when I clicked onto this site the screen had all sorts of lines ( bit like Screen hunter when you are surrounding the part of the screen you want to capture ) and the white parts of the  page kept changing to blue  ...and worst of all I couldn't log in.   SO, I went back to preferences and enabled Unite - setting the three facilities to default.  I also managed to get rid of the Dragonfly thing by clicking on the X.   I didn't open it, I didn't even know it existed !!!  Closed Opera and reopened (no box, but that only occurs after shut down !     :shrug2:

I am going to do a reinstall as you suggest ....... :fingers:   and thank you   :flower:    I hope I'll be back  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »

Done it  !    I un-installed  Opera using Add/Remove facility, when asked if I wanted to remove all settings I said NO (hope that was correct)  .....downloaded again from Filehippo and installed.  I wasn't given any options  :( ..... I then restarted the computer ..opened Opera .. it opened (without box  :thumbs: ) and with all the tabs opened that I had used on the previous Opera (I assume this is where the 'settings' come in )  ......   I logged in here  -  no problem, no blue pages, no dragonfly !!  so far so good ..... 

Now, IF the box appears tomorrow I can definitely deduce that it is the Auto Shutdown that is causing it  ....  in which case I'll have to put up with it because I don't want to lose the auto-shutdown programme which is very useful for me.   Isn't it exciting having to wait until tomorrow   :D

Thank you so much TD  ....

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »

>>> when asked if I wanted to remove all settings I said NO <<<   :)

>>> (I assume this is where the 'settings' come in ) <<<  ;)

Sounds good so far... :clap2:

Before shutting down Opera today....go tools>scroll down to Opera Unite and make sure it is set to "disable" If it set at "enable" click on that word and it should change to disable.

What program are you using to auto-shutdown.......there may be an option in there to cancel warning pop-ups.

scottiesmum

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »

The shutdown proramme is called  Airytec Switchoff   I can't see anything to do with pop-ups  ..below is a screen shot of options.

Regarding Unite  .... on the box (late box  ;D)  it said Start Unite and extensions   ......(or similar to that)  IF I disable this will it affect the extensions ? or are there other extensions  just attached to Unite  ?  I've looked at Unite via Tools and it says ENABLE  Unite  ....  does this mean  therefore  that it is disabled at the moment ?  I'm loath to press it at the moment to find out  ;D...  I'm so confused now I can't remember the meaning of words   :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »

>>>  I've looked at Unite via Tools and it says ENABLE  Unite  ....  does this mean  therefore  that it is disabled at the moment <<< Yes, that's right and hopefully it should stay that way.

I think that means only Unite extensions.

That shutdown prog. does call for applications to be forcibly shut down.......as suggested by AdrianH earlier in the thread Opera may take that as a crash, in which case the dreaded pop up window may well be with you again.  :(

scottiesmum

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »

I've just had a thought  !!!!  I'll disable that  'force' option   .... I'll reset the shutdown to shut down  ;D this afternoon (I'm of out soon, but I'll be back  !!!)  and see what happens .... do you think that's a good idea ? at least I'll be here to see what's going on  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »

Cannot hurt to try.....good luck.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

:no: It didn't work  ..... Disabled 'Force apps to close'   closed down system with Shutdown programme .... Programme Ending notice came up and all closed smoothly  ..... but on restart  clicked on Opera -  box appeared    :'(   deselected Start Unite and Extensions .... pressed Start -   Opera  opened but extensions were all disabled.   Is the Unite thing a security risk ?   Come back Amstrad all is forgiven  ;D   I'm looking for another Shutdown programme.   WIll give XP's own a go but I think that forces programmes to close too, and as Adrian said that's probably the cause. 

Thank you again TD.    I know you have enough hassle with the TV at the moment so don't worry about this.  I shall continue to bang my head against the wall  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »

Oh dear... :(

I cannot understand why Unite wants to start all the time.

It is a tool for file sharing.....read about it here...http://unite.opera.com/guide/ 
Do you do any file sharing or similar ?

Will sleep on this and come back refreshed tomorrow.

scottiesmum

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »

No I don't do any file sharing TD.  I don't do very much on the computer really. E-mails,  tootle on here,  Amazon for Kindle  etc.  The odd bit of Internet shopping  ..... I don't watch films on it ...   I do listen to the Radio ..... read some newspapers,  nothing out of the ordinary at all  ....  in fact very basic.     

Kind of you to take an interest .....  I'm going to disable the shutdown altogether tonight ..and see what happens tomorrow when I switch on.   

Bonne nuit ! :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »

It came to me in a flash last night.. :)

Opera Unite is not a product of Opera Software Co. but is a third party product bundled into Opera.

A lot of the extensions and plug-ins are also third party products.

So....when that box opens, it is asking you if you want to restart Opera and also any and all third party bundled products....meaning that they will become available to you should you want them, not that they are all starting automatically.

You can check this after you have accepted the box...immediately after doing that go tools>Unite and see if it is still showing as "disabled"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5