Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC migration problem  (Read 11312 times)

fbnts

FTTC migration problem
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »

Hi,

I got my MAC code from plusnet to migrate my fibre over to adsl24.

They submitted my order yesterday to BT wholesale and i have been scheduled for 4th december, however this morning plusnet sent me my final bill and disconnected me. The line is active and synced but my PPPoE session wont authenticate.

Plusnet customer services say that the line has been transferred out but adsl24 are saying its still with plusnet!  I have tried connecting with both the plusnet and adsl24 login credentials but neither are accepted.

Does anyon know fttc migration happens? does it have to be physically switched by BT or is it just changed in software in bts system?

Tom

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC migration problem
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »

Hi Tom and welcome,

Assuming you've requested the FTTC solution from ADSL24, they must be using the same BT Wholesale product (although possibly with different settings).
My guess would be that this is one of the first Wholesale transfers and that the BT systems, which can be quite convoluted, and have not yet been proven too many times perhaps in your area.

With a "normal" ADSL MAC transfer there is usually no more than a matter of hours of disconnection. You might try BT Wholesale High Level Complaints.

EDIT Please see the PM I've sent you.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:13:39 PM by waltergmw »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

As Bob Pullen of PlusNet is a member of these fora, you could try sending him a PM.

Oh, of course there is also Alex Rolls, assuming Bald_Eagle1 will allow him try to help you . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »

Oh, of course there is also Alex Rolls, assuming Bald_Eagle1 will allow him try to help you . . .  :-\

Well, now that my connection appears to be quite stable again, I'll give him a few days grace to deal with other customers/ex-customers, before I start mithering about low speeds again  ;)

Paul.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fbnts

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the order has been requested with adsl24, as far as i know its the same product (i assumed all fttc were through bt wholesale as its not available llu) the only difference is I'm moving onto upto 10mb upload (the main reason for buying out my Plusnet contract) but i assume that is just a change to the ip profile or is it a physical change at the cabinet?

I have tested with the bt_test_user login and it appears to authenticate so my line is still active to some extent but acording to the vdsl modem stats my upstream path is still 1999kb.

I`ll cope until monday because i dont think I will be able to get much sorted over the weekend. But if i dont get anywhere on Monday then i will give those contacts a try (cheers Walter).

On another note, does fttc authentication work exactly like bts adsl, ie they forward on the authentication request directly to the radius servers of the isp in the username realm?

Tom

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »

Hi Tom,

As your line remains the same it would be quite pointless to make any physical changes in the PCP. (As the FTTC is installed with its dual or quadruple 100 pr link cables complete, all connections and disconnections must be done within the PCP. I assume that if a channel becomes faulty, that would just be marked so and would not require any physical changes unless there had been physical damage to a link cable.)

I hope Azzaka might answer your authentication question but it's quite likely that there are differences between BT Retail's VDSL authentication and that of other ISPs just as there are with their respective ADSL services.

Kind regards,
Walter

fbnts

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »

It turns out that BT had started the process last Saturday by changing the 'line tag'?  PlusNet then took this as migrated so they closed my account.

ADSL24 support have been brilliant and on Monday within an hour of my call they had got their network provisioning team to manually set up a login on their system.

I am now back online (until Monday which is the official migration date and BT are insistant on sending out an engineer!).

Tom

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »

Excellent help from ADSL24.   :clap2:

Black mark for Beatie:thumbdown:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

fbnts

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »

Just an update.... It appears that BT have buggered it up again!  The migration was due last Monday however no engineer turned up and on Tuesday ADSL24 contacted me to let me know that BT had for some reason cancelled the migration and that I needed to contact PlusNet to obtain a new MAC code!

Just waiting on that from PlusNet.  In the meantime I'm stuck in limbo where techincally nobody is supplying my fibre broadband.  I'm just thankful that ADSL24 went the extra mile to hack an account together so that I can at least get online!

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »

It's also even more difficult to understand why these sort of issues appear to crop up, especially as Plusnet is actually owned by BT!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »

BT has several divisions which effectively have to operate as separate companies, so Plusnet won't have any more influence over BTOR than any other ISP.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »

@ Eric,

Perhaps you have very politely left out such words as over-bloated dysfunctional management structures ?

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »

Perhaps you have very politely left out such words as over-bloated dysfunctional management structures ?

There's that too. :)
  Eric

fbnts

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »

Well its Migration Day - Engineer due between 8am and 1pm if he turns up.  I have a suspicion that he won't as the automatic tracker appears to have changed to delayed!

Bloody BT!

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »

:fingers: :fingers: I know you want to  :shoot: somebody   :wall: hurts after a while.
Pages: [1] 2