Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Smoking in your home? Oh no you don't....  (Read 5068 times)

Smoking in your home? Oh no you don't....
« on: October 25, 2007, 07:41:48 AM »

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=66988

In a nutshell unless you have a detached house then you will not be permitted to smoke in your own house. Or car. Or garden. Or....

I think you get the picture?

I no longer smoke but I have a horrible feeling this sort of law would appeal hugely to the control freaks running UK politics :( Any bets on how long it takes to cross the pond?

fudgem

• Reg Member
Re: Smoking in your home? Oh no you don't....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:47:08 AM »

Of course it will come sooner or later.  I was reading yesterday about the laws in Australia, which make ours look pretty weak.  Like you, I am a thankful ex smoker, I would hate to be still addicted to the weed and have to stand outside in all weathers to satisfy my craving.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:53:08 AM »

This sort of thing sickens me. I've never smoked, but I have every sympathy for those who are addicted and don't have sufficient willpower to give up. Not being allowed to smoke in your own house or garden is preposterous.
  Eric

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »

I have no doubt at all that there will be plenty of "good citizens" informing on their neighbours too! Schadenfreude seems very popular these days :(

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

When the current law came in this year, the ban was extended to cars within the University boundary at work - so we can't smoke in the car parks in out own cars.  Not that I do  :angel: but I do think that one's car is one's personal space!

Hubby smokes though and it drives me nuts sitting watching TV and I see this cloud of smoke drifting slowly towards me at nostril level.  And he wonders why I spend so much time upstairs on the PC  ::)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »

There's even more interesting reading here:

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3087276.ece

Changing the nation's health habits

Smoking permits
Individuals would be required to buy a smoking permit, renewable each year, which they would have to show in supermarkets and tobacconists before buying tobacco. Instead of making a New Year's resolution not to smoke, individuals would have to choose to be smokers. The permit fee would be re-invested in the National Health Service.

The exercise hour
Companies with more than 500 employees would be required to designate an hour in the working day as the "exercise hour" and to provide facilities to enable workers to take exercise. Employees could then "opt out" by choosing not to participate, rather than opting in as they have to do now.

Zero tolerance on salt
Food manufacturers would be banned from adding salt to processed foods which is a major cause of high blood pressure. This would hand control of the salt content to the consumer who could choose to "opt out" of the healthy product by adding salt at the table

Restricting alcohol sales
Supermarkets could be required to sell alcohol separately from groceries requiring consumers to queue twice.Alternatively, the sale of alcohol could be restricted to off licences (as used to be the case in the US), requiring an extra journey – and extra effort – by the consumer.

Free fruit
The scheme for handing out free fruit to primary school children each day could be extended to secondary school children. Companies could also be enrolled to provide free fruit to employees. The UK is below the European average for consumption of fruit and vegetables.

Letters to parents
Alan Johnson, the Health Secretary, is considering sending parents details of their children's weight measurements at the ages of 5 and 10. This is so that parents can make an assessment as to whether their kids are becoming obese. The information is currently only provided on request.

It seems we are destined to become even more of a nanny state.  I despair.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 09:36:54 AM »

"The permit fee would be re-invested in the National Health Service."

One wonders what's been happening to the huge amounts of tax they already take from smokers. Presumably its being used to blow up parts of the world our lords and masters don't like :(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 09:44:21 AM »

Rizla my friend, I would call you an old cynic... but then again you think along similar lines to what I do.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »

And you're not alone..
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »

Ridiculous.

Walking down a highstreet which is going to be more harmful particulary for a kid in a pushchair nearer exhaust pipe level.

But don't get me started cause Im probably in a bad mood about the stench around this area lately from the local sewerage plant which means that I cant even leave my windows open at night. I had to get up at 3am to close them the other night it was that bad.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »

Have you reported it to your environmental health department?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

Yes actually Ive just this min got off the phone from doing so.
My mother (who lives about a mile or so away) had also just rung me to say shes had to close all her windows this morning.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oh Snap.

• Reg Member
  • You're as weak as the hearts you break.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »

"The permit fee would be re-invested in the National Health Service."

One wonders what's been happening to the huge amounts of tax they already take from smokers. Presumably its being used to blow up parts of the world our lords and masters don't like :(

I agree.
Maybe it's not my weekend, But it's gonna be my year.

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »

It seems we are destined to become even more of a nanny state.  I despair.

I expect it won't be long before  everyone is expected to stand before starting work or school and sing Hail to the Chief !!! :swoon:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 03:55:29 AM »

I once did a survey of us smokers at work on how much time we spent out of the office having a cigarette, the average was about eight hours per week (yes, one whole days worth of work per week) ???

anything