Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Refund for unwanted pre-loaded Microsoft software  (Read 9908 times)

exo

• Kitizen
Re: Refund for unwanted pre-loaded Microsoft software
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »

I gather from that you are not keen on Microsoft products.

That puts you into one of two categories.

1. I hate Windows. I love Linux.   OR   2. I love Linux. I hate Windows.

Choose whichever you want, it makes no difference to me.

Microsoft is a private company. It has to make a profit to survive. To survive in business you eliminate or buy out the competition.
Just look at Sony Blue Ray eliminating Toshiba HD DVD.
The way Toshiba suddenly capitulated was startling as Blue Ray is still in the minority.
Should I start my own conspiracy theories about this.

For whatever reason, Windows is the preferred choice by the majority of computer users at the moment.
If Linux developers actually produced a system that didn't change every other month, was as simple to use as Windows, then they might have a bigger uptake.

Linux is free, so why don't more people use it.
Answer.....because it does not meet peoples needs in a simple and useable fashion.

Personally, I don't care what operating system people use.

I have dabbled with various versions of Linux.
One didn't like my graphic card. Another refused to recognise .mp3 files.
I don't need that hassle and XP didn't give it to me at that time.

Linux still appears to be an operating system for those that wish to tinker with the nuts and bolts.
The rest of us just want an operating system that does everything in the background with the user hardly being aware of its existence.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti Linux. I want competition for Microsoft but Linux just isn't doing it.
Why, because it does not have that ruthless business streak to compete and be better than the competition.
It probably never will whilst it is free but that is what most people love about Linux.

You can't have it both ways.

exo

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »

I gather from that you are not keen on Microsoft products.

That puts you into one of two categories.

1. I hate Windows. I love Linux.   OR   2. I love Linux. I hate Windows.

Choose whichever you want, it makes no difference to me.

What always amazes and intensely annoys me is that people have to put folks in one of these two categories, you do not have to hate one to like another. Most people who take a close look at the options do so rationally and make a choice based on their requirements. Please in future do not insult people with such generalisations.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »

That's rich coming from you, considering your previous post concerning your dislike to Windows and posted in the Windows forum.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10528.0.html

That post just enforces the two categories I mentioned.

And to cap it all, you find my post insulting and yet these comments are alright?

It all begs the question: what was Gates' real reason for soiling our pleasant land with his stinking carcass?
cheers, a

Some Linux users really need to get rid of that chip on their shoulder.

exo

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

Ok guys, you have both had your say.

I think we have gone far enough down that road.  :)

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

Oh come on TD, I have only just got started.  :o
A Forum is for open and frank discussion or it's meaningless.
Within the rules of course.

exo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »

I myself have never used Linux or have any immediate plans to do so,but I don't go round saying its useless etc just because I use Windows o/s

Yet I read on many forums wher Linux users seem hell bent on dissing Microsft........ :shrug2:

You chose whichever o/s you want,its called personal choice,so why keep complaining about something you don't use/have no intention of using......

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »

I think its a great shame that this discussion has gone in this direction. My original comments in my thread were interpreted as me hating M$ and I tried to explain why I do and what I do, and in no way do I condone the comments about Mr Gates although privately I do question his motives sometimes. I only viewed this thread because of its title which was of interest, having just purchased a new laptop, and come face to face with such sweeping generalisations which I felt I needed to rebuff. I also do not condone some of the stuff which goes on in Linux forums which is also out of order in many cases.

I have no desire (or need) to go any further with this, I have explained my position regarding M$ and Linux and that's it. I hope all who visit here can get back to rational discussion about things without the need to resort to such sweeping generalisations and end up insulting people they know nothing about.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 [2]

anything