Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A polemic: ADSL ruined by BT. Is cable better?  (Read 6714 times)

Re: A polemic: ADSL ruined by BT. Is cable better?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »

Yeah to echo roseway, as many stats as possible. Also if you've noticed the line dropping at certain times that'd be handy too.

It was a damn good rant old lad :) We've (mainly) all been there and sometimes it feels like you're battering your head off a brick wall. Kitz ought to be able to give Plusnet a nudge in the right direction if you're having to play too much "ticket tennis" with them :)

Also by the sounds of it the router is locking up - I assume that's why it needs a reboot? Anyone using P2P apps (limewire for eg) with it because its fairly common to have to limit connections as the routing table fills up (don't worry if you don't understand this bit). Basically consumer-level routers rarely have enough memory (I know that feeling myself :P) and when the routing table fills up then they generally "freeze" - on most the web interface still works though.

Edit - Ermm I've just noticed the strange sentences in that post. Hopefully you got the gist of it - I suspect I was "optimising" some Synaptics touchpad stuff a bit too closely and hence bits got cut :(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:59:37 PM by rizla »

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »

Regarding my dropped connection problem, I have now extracted the stats from the router.  I realise that the DSL up time is shown as over 5 days.  That is a big improvement over the previous situation.  I do note 5 reconnects in eight days though.  I would be glad if someone more knowledgeable than me could cast his/her eyes over the stats (in attached image) and give an opinion.

I see that the downstream SNR is a bit thin.

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Windows XP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »

That's not a very good performance for your level of attenuation (43 dB). It reinforces the view that your line has become noisy, so the connection speed has dropped to a lower level. To get to the bottom of this you really need to visit the link given earlier ( http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm ) to establish what the cause is.
  Eric

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 12:46:30 PM »

I'm not so sure Eric. The line is interleaved and 4320kbps downstream doesn't seem that unreasonable for 43dB? The attenuation figures up and down don't seem wildly different, nor does the noise margin each way.

If the line did once sync at 6.3Mbps then there's probably something external which has occurred - water in a junction box would be my bet but I can't see that either, not with only 5 drops in 8 days.

I'd suggest the stats need monitoring regularly to see what is changing.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 04:02:07 PM »

I wouldn't disagree with the last point. But my attenuation is almost the same (it's 42 dB), my connection is interleaved, and I have stable sync (several weeks on end) at 5792 kbps with an IP profile of 5000. 4320 seems rather low.
As you say, it's probably something external, but the low SNR advice page on the Kitz site would help in eliminating other possibilities.

Eric
Pages: 1 [2]