Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WWF Carbon Footprint  (Read 12842 times)

WWF Carbon Footprint
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »

I tried this :

http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/

the other day and found I have a footprint of 2.09. I thought I'd do better than that but apparently that IS good for someone living in the UK. I find that rather worrying.

Yes I know bits might be flawed but it does take a different approach to most of these calculators. If you wish to register (I haven't) then apparently you can go into a lot more detail. I disagree very strongly with the weighting they seem to give to "buying energy from a green supplier" as if they are talking electricity then 40% gets lost in the cables which get it to you + there's a bit of a con on ROCs. I am unaware of any windfarms/tidal barrages or solar plants anywhere near Leicester but am quite willing to be corrected ;)

So post your footprints peeps :)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: WWF Carbon Footprint
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »

Came out with 2.74.

The problem with 'button questionaires' is that they do not ask questions with suitable answers to be able to tick the exact one.

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »

2.44 here  :'(

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:27:04 PM »

I got 2.65

Too much time spent travelling I think, but I can't save the planet by myself.  Just think of the Grand Prix racing and I'm a total innocent

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »

2.51 here.

Feared it would be worse with company car to get my BIK'sworth out of. Luckily I don't fly anywhere for personal use.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:36:29 PM »

I got 2.54 - I suppose that's a "could do better" eh
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »

Mine was 2.37.

Like previously mentioned I think some of the questions were a bit wooly..  and Im still trying to figure out how much you spent on vets bills etc had to do with it?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:34 AM »

I got 2.26... and this is someone who doesn't own a motorised vehicle, rarely travels by bus or train, and never flies.  I was wondering about the vets thing too.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:13:24 AM »

You really can't take the scores seriously in a simplistic quiz like this. Carbon footprints are far too complex to deal with this way. Its only real purpose is to make people think a bit more about the issues, and it has a value in that respect.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:11:49 AM by roseway »
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 06:21:31 AM »

2.28 here,lts only a rough estimate.What about the US,China and India?Do they have these questionaires to fill in ?

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »

As I said - apparently if you register you can go into much more detail. There are lots of other calculators - the govt runs one - but do you really want to be telling govt/energy companies exactly how much electricity you use, gas, petrol, diesel, where you last went on hols, when you last went on hols etc etc ;)

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »

As I said - apparently if you register you can go into much more detail. There are lots of other calculators - the govt runs one - but do you really want to be telling govt/energy companies exactly how much electricity you use, gas, petrol, diesel, where you last went on hols, when you last went on hols etc etc ;)

I think they already know, don't they.  If they can track where you are at any given time via your mobile phone, not much left secret is there?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:59 AM »

There are still a few dinosaurs like me who don't use a mobile phone. :)
  Eric

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »

I make a point of turning mine off most of the time. People I actually know in real life know how to get hold of me anyway :)

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 02:21:42 PM »

:o  3.31    But I suppose it must be the long haul flights for holidays as I seem to be pretty good on most other things. Now I must admit to being a little selfish, but if I and many others in a similar situation to mine, were to cut down on these flights it would make sod all difference to the world wide 'problem'.
Pages: [1] 2 3