Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it Jupiter ?  (Read 1345 times)

scottiesmum

Is it Jupiter ?
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »

For the past few nights I've noticed a large bright 'star'  quite near ( not really  ;D ) to the moon.  With the full moon and this very bright light, I can actually see the globe of the planet.    I know that Jupiter is quite a bright planet; but not being au fait on things astronomical (apart from a few pairs of expensive shoes  :D) I wondered if anyone else had seen it and knows if it is Jupiter ? 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Is it Jupiter ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »

According to Google Sky Map on my Android phone yes it is Jupiter.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:46:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply Stuart, I didn't expect one so soon following my post  due to the hour  ;D   It really is a lovely sight, and with the naked eye too. I'll be out there again tonight for another look.  :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

I didn't see it last night but OH did so will take a look tonight if we have clear skies...would love to have a telescope to "star gaze"....must be brilliant to see things that you can't with the naked eye.

http://earthsky.org/tonight

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »

would love to have a telescope to "star gaze"....must be brilliant to see things that you can't with the naked eye.
Even with a modest pair of binoculars (and keen eyesight) you should be able to make out Jupiter's disc and it's 4 major moons (Io, Ganymede, Callisto and Europa) although, of course, because of the distance, the moons will only appear as stars.
Mike

anything