Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Browser Cpu usage  (Read 2023 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Browser Cpu usage
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »

What is the norm for cpu usage when a browser opens./

The reason I ask is I had a couple of crashes using Chrome today.The physical memory usage went right up to 100%

I managed to restart the pc and then opened Firefox 8...within a couple of minutes the physical memory went up to 75% and Firefox was using over 600.000k in the task manager

At present I am using Opera which is using 58% physical meory and around 277.000k in the task manager.

What could be causing this/is there a way of getting it lower.

Edit

I have narrowed it down to Gmail.When I open Gmail the physical memory usage does climb slightly,but as soon as I click on /open a message Firefox usage in the task manager climbs rapidly climbs to over 500.000k and physical memory climbs to around 75% with the cpu usage climbing to around 25%

As soon as I close Firefox the physical memory drops to around 38% and the cpu usage down to around 2%
Edit/Delete Message

Edit2.

I just opened my hotmail account and went into my inbox..all was well,until I clicked on a message,Then The physical memory rapidly climbed to around 80% and in the task manager Firefox climbed to around 900.000k

This only happens when email messages are clicked on/opened.Just having the inbox/s open doesn't create any problems

Usually at the most my physical memory usage ia round 55 to 65%

I am using Vista with a 2.13 dual core processor and have 2GB of ram installed

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:00:42 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Browser Cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:38 AM »

My system isn't directly comparable with yours of course, but Firefox uses about 64 MB of memory with one tab open displaying a page. Each additional tab with a page displayed adds about 40 MB. GMail is more greedy and adds about 100 MB. Nothing uses any significant CPU except when loading a page. The exception to this is Flash which uses about 4% of CPU.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:43:38 AM »

Thanks Eric

I have found that the cause is McAfee Site Advisor.

After posting on the McAfee forums I was told that is the problem.I disabled the SA add-on in Firefox and the problem stopped.I have been told that McAfee will be sorting this out early next week

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »

Just to update...

McAfee rolled out a software update yesterday evening and on re enabling Site Advisor add-on(both in FF and Chrome)the problem seems to have been fixed.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »

Excellent :)
  Eric