Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bumpy email  (Read 2321 times)

mywifeshusband

Bumpy email
« on: November 15, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »

I do my emails with Outlook Express (OE), sometimes on my PC and sometimes on my laptop. I have 3 email address which OE checks in sequence, normally very rapidly now I'm on FTTC BT Infinity. I have done my emails for years this way with no problem.
Recently though with both machines the checking sequence has taken an inordinately long time, often at the Authorising stage asking me for my log in information, sometimes several times before it eventually runs through is checking sequence.
Now what can be causing this to happen on both machines. I suspect 'noise' and
I'd like to be able to look at my stats for the BT Home Hub3 that stands between me in the real world and all that goes on in cyberspace but, the normal stats seem to be unobtainable through the usual means. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Ta!

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Bumpy email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:31:04 AM »

Continual demands for log-in details and persistent rejection of them is very often indicative of problems on the ISP mail servers.

Have you queried this with your ISP?

mywifeshusband

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »

Thanks TD. You confirm my own suspicions. I'll start another chapter on this topic on my ISPs very large file on my account.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »

I have this when accessing my BT Yahoo! email account from my phone.  I would agree with TD - it sounds like their mail servers are at fault.

Colin

mywifeshusband

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »

Thank you again for your input.I have put the case to BT but so far, apart from an automated acknowledgement I have had nothing back from them.
Meanwhile the situation gets worse. Now not only am I being asked for my log in details, when I give them I'm being told that they are not recognised and I'm being told to reset my password. This I do, giving the same details as the system knew about already. These are then accepted at least for the time being. What's going on?
To try and run the problem to earth myself I try Start - Run - http://192.168.1.254/ which brings up what passes for the the Home Hub 3 manager, but even in Advanced mode, this is still the most uninformative router manager that I have ever encountered. Is there another way of unlocking the information that it seems to be keeping to itself?

mywifeshusband

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »

BT telephoned at last to tell me they recognise THEY had a general problem with BT Yahoo mail and they are "working on it". Seems as though I'm not alone. I don't know of anybody else that has been affected by this GENERAL problem, and the lack of comments on this thread makes me wonder as to the extent of this particular problem. However it does seem a bit better now.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »

Now I am back online, I can respond - similar problem here Wed/Thurs/Fri of last week, and also my Home Hub 2a seeming to die on me.  A few long sessions on the phone with Mumbaishire (very helpful and knowledgeable) and, on Friday evening, they finally admitted to countrywide problems.  It seems these are random and sporadic.  Saturday was a day with no connection, as was Sunday, but this morning a perfect connection.  I logged on from my sister's connection on those days with no problems.  Mumbaishire called this morning to make sure I was back online and happy with the connection.

Colin